Author Topic: [A&O #3] Fair Game Discussion  (Read 94837 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: SPOILERS Discussion of Fair Game after publication!
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2012, 03:14:49 pm »
She wasn't the only one.  There was a lot of disclosure, one way and another... The Freedom of Information Act mention has possibilities for the future...
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2012, 03:23:28 pm »
I feel like if she'd given out any information that really shouldn't have been passed along, Charles or Brother Wolf would have let her know by body language if nothing else.  Doesn't mean she'd have stopped, but she'd have known he would prefer she'd not tell people that.  I'm guessing Bran gave her a pretty thorough rundown on what's allowable, and she has pretty good instincts anyway.
But I still had to cringe sometimes with some of the info she gave up. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:37:22 pm by Elle »

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2012, 05:08:44 pm »
Aabsolutely loved the book! I was so worried about Charles and the ghosts that were haunting him.  Loved when the Boston alpha said he wanted to be like Charles when he grew up.  LOL
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:37:38 pm by Elle »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2012, 05:18:20 pm »
I loved that line, too! 

I hope he lives to be an old wolf, I like him.  He's kind of a smart-@$$ but he still takes care of his people.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:37:53 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2012, 05:24:16 pm »
Very clear sighted and even tempered, after our initial meeting, too.

Shyee

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:34 pm »
First of all, great book! I loved it to the point that if I was standing up I would have slumped down and cried with the ending that it was finished. I wanted more!! More I tell you! But it's left alot of question...

1. What is going to happen with Zee and Mercy's friendship? Will he be allowed to still have it with her, will she beable to visit with him, will he have to change his glamour if he goes to visit her?  Same with Tad, will he beable to continue with school or be forced to drop out. What about Ari and Samuel? And Phin and his bookshop. Where will they all stand from it all?  (I want the next Mercy book out now so we know the answers! XD)

2. Who did the Gray Lords make the deal with in the first place? Was it with Bran since they came to him asking for a meeting? Or was it with some secret human organization like the Templar Knights, that know about the Other races and keep those secrets, secret?

3. Are we going to see more of Leslie and Goldstein? Cause both seemed on the fae and wolves side with the ways they acted around them, I don't know. But they were both interesting characters, same with Nick, Leslie's boss. I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about those characters.

4. With the fight against Benedict, was Alastair keeping the promise not to use his full strength from the bargain the fae made with whomever or was it because that was his full strength? I can't picture a Prince of the Gray Lords not being able to not kick any other fae's butt big time.

5. Are we going to see Issac again or was this just a one time meeting with him? Would love to see him and Bran's first meeting, I think it would be a hoot if Bran did the 'I'm a no-body so ignore me' thing he does when first meeting with Issac.

6. Did Lizzie and her mother know Alastair was a Prince of the Gray Lords? Or was it a surpise to hear just who he was when he made the declearation? So I guess that would make Lizzie a Princess wouldn't it?

7. The fifty-nine other riders, were they the Gray Lords? Or just other powerful fae that are just as powerful or other Princes and Princess of them?

So many more questions but those are the ones that play more on my mind than any others. All I know is last night when I finished the book, I didn't know if I wanted to hug Ms Briggs for such a great story or to throttle her for leaving it as it was. I wanna know more, here and now. Well, what can I say, I'm impatient.. lol. But great story, I loved it!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:38:27 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »
I can make fairly good educated guesses about some of your questions - not the first, of course, they're ones I was thinking to bring up.  LOL

However...
Probably not Bran, Charles imputed it could have been some random child as easily as someone a human would have recognized as a power with whom to bargain like that.

Leslie and Goldstein; depends on whether they're still there when "Frost Bitten" opens; remember, we've been told it takes Mercy to Boston too!  bOuNcY 

And this leads to "are we going to see Isaac again?"  Probably for the same reason!  Also, Isaac has probably already met Bran, remember they have once or twice a year All Alphas & their seconds meetings in Aspen Creek. 

Alistair; they may not have known how powerful he was, but at the end his ex-wife did say something about how he missed the days when "he could kill anyone who bothered him."
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:38:44 pm by Elle »

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2012, 06:44:52 pm »
I stopped breathing when I got to the end. I wasn't all that surprised when Heuter ended up being one of the killers, although for a while I thought Hally or Caitlin might be part of it. I definitely wasn't expecting the whole fae declaring themselves a separate nation altogether. I was expecting to see something at the end about that bill declaring the wolves an endangered species passing. Isaac was awesome, and so was Leslie. It would be cool to see either or both of them again.Time to read the book a second time, this time slowly. 
And for Nifty's question about the significance of rue: I think it used to be used to symbolize regret. Regret for being unable to protect his daughter, maybe?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:39:05 pm by Elle »
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:46 pm »
As far as Lizzie being a Princess-fae ranking seems to be based on power, not heredity, and Lizzie has none. Other fae might think twice about bothering her for fear of hurting her father, but I don't think Lizzie would have any standing at all among the fae, anymore than Jesse has rank in the pack just because she is Adam's daughter.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:39:16 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 07:07:43 pm »
Kkat, there was that whole conversation about half blood children and how the other fae tend to think in terms of "no power, no loss to us" and turn their backs on their half bloods almost always.  Lizzie, and Todd, and Phin (and his ancestors, to Ari) are very much the exception.  They were/are loved by their fae parent/progenitor, but no, they would have no power.  Go right back to the part fae librarian who was killed and robbed in Iron Kissed to see that. As entirely without power as Lizzie seems to be (and wouldn't it be a kicker if she is a late bloomer who develops some mad talent in "Frost Bitten"!) she would be doomed to a horrible fate if she joined the fae Underhill.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:39:27 pm by Elle »

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 07:18:46 pm »
Kkat, there was that whole conversation about half blood children and how the other fae tend to think in terms of "no power, no loss to us" and turn their backs on their half bloods almost always.  Lizzie, and Todd, and Phin (and his ancestors, to Ari) are very much the exception.  They were/are loved by their fae parent/progenitor, but no, they would have no power.  Go right back to the part fae librarian who was killed and robbed in Iron Kissed to see that. As entirely without power as Lizzie seems to be (and wouldn't it be a kicker if she is a late bloomer who develops some mad talent in "Frost Bitten"!) she would be doomed to a horrible fate if she joined the fae Underhill.

I was replying to someone else's question/ comment a few posts back; I didn't think she would.  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:39:46 pm by Elle »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 08:06:53 pm »
...That comment Alastair made, about how he asked his daughter once why she was only pretending to fly... It's a long shot, obviously, but I kind of wondered if he thought maybe she ought to be able to fly if she really put her mind to it.  Maybe she'll find a way.  I hope so.  It would be immeasurably terrible to not be able to dance anymore, even without the other crap they did to her.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:39:59 pm by Elle »

gingkogirl

• Tinker
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 08:21:23 pm »
Oh, wow. Wow. Just finished and I must say, Fair Game was amazing and so much different than I was expecting. A hughly enjoyable read, although some bits made me a bit squeamish, from start to finish. Been reading on and off through the day and my family will barely speak to me because I have been ignoring them. I have tons of questions and speculations, many of which have been adressed already in this thread, so I won't repeat at the moment. But I got to wondering about a few random and unimportant things: If Alistair was a Grey Lord, why didn't he just get the cup that can take your will or heal (used on Mercy in Iron Kissed) and fix Lizzie. If Alistair was Lugh, the Grey Lord, does that mean he made Mercy's walking stick? Finally, if he is that Lugh, will he and Mercy and the Walking Stick ever meet up again?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:40:13 pm by Elle »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 08:29:40 pm »
To far away, in someone else's possesion. He simply didn't think about it? I doubt every fae lord has a complete list of every magical item and what they do memorized.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 08:35:25 pm »
Good questions.  I have guesses about several of them.
1. The cup is being subjected to the same kind of treatment as the Ark was in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."  Stuffed away in a warehouse somewhere as too dangerous to experiment on.

2. Is everyone named Luke the same Luke?  So Gwyn ap Lugh is more apt to be the SON of someone named Lugh.  Not by any means certain to be the same Lugh

3. With or without his being "walking stick" Lugh, they might meet, given he's a Prince and a Grey Lord, and Mercy is (in the words used for Theo Waitley in "Saltation") a nexus of violence.

Good point, Zee.  Also, Remember, fae & prices to be paid for 'favors'.  He may not be willing to risk what it might cost Lizzie.  Or him.  Or even his ex-wife, Lizzie's mother.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:40:44 pm by Elle »