Author Topic: [A&O #3] Fair Game Discussion  (Read 95518 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: SPOILERS Discussion of Fair Game after publication!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:14 pm »
Wise.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »
Just finished.  Really liked it a lot!  It's one of my favorites of the Mercyverse books.  Do wonder what this portends for the upcoming Mercyverse books, though. Will Zee and Uncle Mike stick around in the "real world" or will they have to join the other fae in the reservations.  What about the half-fae, like Tad?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:29:58 pm by Elle »
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 01:36:50 pm »
Just finished.  Really liked it a lot!  It's one of my favorites of the Mercyverse books.  Do wonder what this portends for the upcoming Mercyverse books, though. Will Zee and Uncle Mike stick around in the "real world" or will they have to join the other fae in the reservations.  What about the half-fae, like Tad?

Among others.  What about Ariana, Phin, the - was she a troll? - banker who Mercy consulted at one point?  All the fae who are in the U.S. Government?  Are they - since the Fae have declared war, more or less - subject to penalties for spies?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:30:25 pm by Elle »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:35 pm »
My impression was that every fae, so that would include Zee and Uncle Mike and all the fae in hiding, had returned to the reservations. Saddly, I've already lent my book to someone else, so I can't double check right now. I'd also like to know what is happening to Mercy's Garage right now. I'm sure Zee was running it while she was too injured too, but she still is and he would have needed to return to the reservation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:30:55 pm by Elle »

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »
Ariana, Phin, the - was she a troll? - banker who Mercy consulted at one point?  All the fae who are in the U.S. Government?  Are they - since the Fae have declared war, more or less - subject to penalties for spies?

I don't agree that the Fae have declared war, more or less.  My impression, based on Beauclair's speech, is that they're no longer going to pretend to be cooperative.  I think the Fae have tried for the last couple centuries to "go along" -- because it suited their purposes to do so? -- and I get the impression they're no longer interested in doing that.  Like...the mask has come off.  Be afraid, be very afraid. Now, the fae are few compared to the humans.  They're long-lived and more resilient, but they don't breed easily or quickly.  So it would not necessarily behoove them to declare war on a more populous nation.  I see them taking a more stealthy approach to self-preservation.

But yes...there are dozens/hundreds of fae living amongst the humans, un-outed as fae.  Do they simply uproot their lives now and disappear into Underhill?

On a slightly different topic, is Gwyn ap Lugh a "real" fairy? (By that, I mean is he someone who can be found in current faery lore, like Baba Yaga, or is he a persona of Patty's own creation?) Also, what was the significance of the 59 black horses?  And the significance of the rue?

(Fun with spoiler bars!!)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:32:35 pm by Elle »
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 02:05:00 pm »
My impression was that every fae, so that would include Zee and Uncle Mike and all the fae in hiding, had returned to the reservations. Saddly, I've already lent my book to someone else, so I can't double check right now. I'd also like to know what is happening to Mercy's Garage right now. I'm sure Zee was running it while she was too injured too, but she still is and he would have needed to return to the reservation.

Zealith, the Beauclair's final declaration about the fae takes place 3 months after the final showdown between the Heuters and the good guys. Maybe Mercy is back on her feet?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:33:17 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 02:15:20 pm »
You are likely correct on the last item in reply to Zealith, Nifty, but Gwyn ap Lugh, and yes, he's been around a long time; he's a character in either "Deep Secrets" or the sequel "The Merlin Conspiracy" by Diana Wynn Jones, did specifically say on page 291 that "They have no authority over us.  From this moment forward we are our own sovereign nation, claiming as our own those lands ceded to us.  We will treat with you, as one hostile nation treats with another, until such time as it seems us good to do otherwise."

I also wonder very much about the deliberately bred part-bloods. Will they be included or ignored?  Also, Given the time involved, and fae awareness of assorted scientific advances, why aren't they trying breeding back some of those part bloods, to see if a preponderance of fae blood would improve power, while giving the additional fertility?  Beefalo, anyone?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:34:08 pm by Elle »

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2012, 02:18:32 pm »
  Also, Given the time involved, and fae awareness of assorted scientific advances, why aren't they trying breeding back some of those part bloods, to see if a preponderance of fae blood would improve power, while giving the additional fertility?  Beefalo, anyone?

Do you mean breeding a half-breed with a full fae?  That would yield in a 3/4 fae, right?  Breed that person with another full-fae and you'd wind up with an even higher concentration of fae genes?  It's a thought.  Of course, then maybe they'd run into the same fertility issues they already have amongst their "natural" full-fae.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:34:34 pm by Elle »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:21 pm »
 It will certainly be an interesting time in Mercy's neck of the woods.  Charles and Anna seem to more "run into the fae in the line of business" while Mercy and her friends definitely have fae friends.
Question: Do we need to wait until the spoiler bars are lifted before we can carry this knowledge to the Frost Burned thread to speculate, or do we just need to spoiler bar it in that thread? Since I feel like we're crossing over into "off-topic" by discussing impacts on characters more closely associated with Mercy and the Tri-Cities. 

I also didn't get the impression that it was "open war," though it may result in that.  And certainly the link Underhill has been reestablished on the reservations.  So it may have been that the fae intended to do something similar at the earliest opportunity... though I do think that Beauclair didn't intend to be the one to "throw off the veil" if you will.  Not until they declared Heuter innocent.
Still, Zee has been saying for years that the reservations are just Step 1 in the Gray Lords' master plan...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:35:02 pm by Elle »

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 02:45:58 pm »
I am 55% into thr book. :) still not touching the black bars.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 02:54:56 pm »
I am 55% into thr book. :) still not touching the black bars.

You have amazing restraint, Varg. 

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 02:59:44 pm »
LOL or I am too busy reading the book to look at the discussion....

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Moonlight

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 03:01:48 pm »
Just finished!  Looks like life just got much more complicated for the weres.  bOuNcY And frankly, those government types were scarier than the monsters!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:35:23 pm by Elle »

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »
I think the affects of this book qualify as discussion. Especially as we're focusing on possibily results that don't involve Mercy as much as those that do.

But if you want to talk more about that book... I loved the idea the Boston pack had. The passing out coupons for a free meal everytime they caused a bit of a scene. Pretty smart. Who doesn't like free food?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:35:53 pm by Elle »

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 03:10:50 pm »
Just finished!  Looks like life just got much more complicated for the weres.  And frankly, those government types were scarier than the monsters!

There were several times during the book when my reaction was all, "Eek!  Anna, shh!  Don't tell them that!"  I thought that she was disclosing a lot of their secrets, and I'm not sure that's smart.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:36:10 pm by Elle »