Author Topic: [A&O #3] Fair Game Discussion  (Read 99217 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: SPOILERS Discussion of Fair Game after publication!
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »
Isn't that Frost Burned?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2012, 01:54:23 pm »
Guess so. *embarrassed*  Mixed it up with another WW novel already out by another author.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

MrsPearce84

• Grease Monkey
  • Werewolf Politics
« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2012, 02:59:38 am »
 :-LOVE :-LOVE :-LOVE  :-LOVELet me just say (now that I have finished reading the book) AHHHHH. I can't believe what a truly amazing book this was! What a journey! What an ending! Now I need to wait for my husband to finish reading it so I can gush about it with him too  :D

& love all the discussions on this thread already!  bOuNcY

I advoided this thread until I'd received my copy & read it through just because my control really is not that good  :P.  But a thought I've had reading through here (love how you all manage to do that) - Now we know Beauclaire is also Gwyn ap Lugh, whom, it has been pointed out, could be son of Lugh, not THE Lugh. This is my train of thought. I got the impression from Mercy's interaction with the Oakman in BC that perhaps Lugh is now no longer around - quote - "Fair spearman was I once,” the oakman said. “And Lugh was better still. Nothing he built but what couldn’t become a spear when needed.”  - I know the past tense could just be referring to events long past. It just struck me as if the Oakman was talking of someone he knew who was no longer living.

Now that stupid trial - most biased, obvious outcome (no complaining here). Patricia Briggs told it only as it could've & would've happened. Humans like to think of them selves as top of the food chain & predator, but really they've engineered the planet to make them FEEL that way. Once it appears there is something that doesn't fit nicely into their preconceived ideals, fear & loathing take forefront in their brains with the need to "squish it"  >:( Hope we get to see all involved's comeuppance  >D hehe
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:41:44 pm by Elle »
“One more rabbit comment, and you’ll regret it.” :D

Temari

• writers
  • Auto-Zauberer
  • The cup is half full.
« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2012, 03:12:26 am »
I've just finished re-reading the book.  :)

I noticed this time at the trial that Beauclaire looked at the judge and the jury before leaving. I think that was deliberate, and he will make sure there are consequences for what they have done.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:41:58 pm by Elle »

MrsPearce84

• Grease Monkey
  • Werewolf Politics
« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2012, 03:23:48 am »
Temari, absolutely! Living a long time would give you a good memory & I bet he was memorizing their faces  >D

Can't wait to see how "justice" is exacted upon them........ if we ever find out  :(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:42:11 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2012, 06:50:37 am »
I'd expect that If or when the fae do go into negotiations with the US Government over a new status, as a - or several? - separate states/nations, one of the terms of agreement would involve extradition of said parties.  Make your wills, people.  And, if you're of one of those religions, make your peace with your maker, or ask for forgiveness of him/her.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:42:23 pm by Elle »

MrsPearce84

• Grease Monkey
  • Werewolf Politics
« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2012, 03:23:41 pm »
Oh & on another point - we get a glimpse of Bran's age in this one too  bOuNcY

I can't remeber the exact line (will have to find it but husband is reading it at this moment) but I know in one scene where Bran is reflecting on something he remembers something that was 1000 yrs or more ago  :D - thank you for that hint Mrs Briggs. Also I'll have to look up Ivanhoe but I think that gives us a clue as well as Bran knows it is historically inaccurate.....

Okay looked up Ivanhoe & it was set in the 1100's. I'm thinking that even by this stage, for Bran to have thorough knowledge on the historical inaccuracy, he was already well travelled & probably after his beserker period. Completely guessing here, but that's my line of thinking.

I'm guessing this may be something for Bran's threads though   :)

I'd also wonder what Isaac will be like when he has some experience from age?? He's already a clever cookie  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:42:47 pm by Elle »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2012, 04:44:25 pm »
Yes, but I was thinking there was something in another book that put Bran and Samuel at at least 1,000 years old already...
For instance, there's something in Cry Wolf about Beowulf having some reference to Bran as the Berserker, and (according to Wikipedia) Beowulf probably dates back to around 1000 AD.  Which would necessitate Bran being older than that... probably several human generations older, in order for the story to have integrated with other stories to become Beowulf. 
Charles also postulates that Bran may be older than Asil, and Asil dates to the 700s (the time of Charles the Great/Charlemagne), which would indicate that Bran is possibly 1300 or older; however Asil later states (in internal dialogue) that he remembers Bran's time as the Berserker, and at that time Asil was less than a century old.  Which would mean that some time probably in the late 700s or early 800s was the berserker-era.  On the other hand, we don't know if "less than a century" means 20 or 99; Bran could still have been living but under his mother's control before Asil was born. 

So, at a best guess, Bran is within a century or so of 1300 years old. 

MrsPearce84

• Grease Monkey
  • Werewolf Politics
« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »
Kyria, you should head over to Bran the Marrok thread. There has been extensive discussion on Bran's age. I was just pointing out that we've been given more clues / confirmation to the speculation that is Bran's age. Also with another reference ("Ivanhoe") to add to the database of knowledge surrounding this aspect of Bran

Not that we'll ever be given a definitive age.  >:( But I suppose that is part of Bran's mystery, & he likes it that way. I wouldn't be surprised if he has "ordered" Samuel not to disclose Bran or Samuel's real age.....

mimi

• Grease Monkey
Who else wants more of Isaac?
« Reply #189 on: March 23, 2012, 03:14:41 pm »
I took a quick look and didn't see this anywhere, so I'm starting it here and the moderators can correct and move it if I'm in the wrong place.

The Alpha of the Olde Towne pack caught my attention on my first read of [u]Fair Game[/u], but then he really piqued my interest on the second read-through.  In MHO, anyone who "wants to be Charles when he grows up" deserves a story story/novella/stand alone book of his own.  Who's with me?  It could go in all kinds of directions which I hesitate to list here because I don't want Patty to have to avoid a story line because one of her readers thought of it.  But, there are all kinds of ideas floating around in my head right now and I think Isaac would be a very interesting lead character - black witch and all. ;D

Moved the post to here for the time being because of the spoilers - discussion can open up for other characters after the 6th.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:43:06 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #190 on: March 23, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »
I definitely want more Isaac!  :D  And, if you look at the video of the March 7 read, Q&A, & signing Patty did in Seattle WA, you can see me ask that - and her answer.  (it's very near the end of the hour) The link I'll bring over again.

Here you go:  http://www.hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6808.0
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:29:02 pm by Patti L. »

mimi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #191 on: March 23, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »
Ooooh, I'll have to look at this one.  I only saw the joint signing video.  Thanks!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2012, 04:43:00 pm »
That's what it is, near the end of the joint Q&A session.

proteusmoteus

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2012, 04:36:25 pm »
Could only read the past two pages of the discussion because of how annoying the spoiler tags are. They don't make much sense either, this being a spoiler thread.

Greatly enjoyed the book. The verdict at the end seemed inevitable with the US's history of jury nullification. The whole trial seemed reminiscent of the racism of post civil war US and the flagrant acquittals murders of blacks received in that time period.

The fae reaction makes for a great twist. Can't wait to see the overall reaction in the next Marrok book.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2012, 05:18:51 pm »
The spoiler tags can be a drag, and it does seem redundant, but even with the penguins doing their spoiler dance, there are people who will wander into the thread and be peeved to see the information nekkid in front of Ghod and everybody, so we put up with it... oh, and Elle took out most of them up UNTIL the last couple of pages, after the first, amusingly enough.