Author Topic: The Emperor  (Read 4727 times)

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
The Emperor
« on: February 16, 2012, 07:01:16 pm »
Returned to original state; if you've come this far, you're expecting spoilers, right?

I kind of liked the fat little emperor.  He rose to the occasion a little bit.

Kind of an inspiration in his weak little way.  I also liked the way his best friend and idol, was working for the other nobles, but really was his friend.  In the end when the Emperor got off his duff and lead, the idol friend was more than willing to back his play and follow.

A fun little character who grew and evolved a little bit.  While being friendly and slowly coming to the realization he had a dog in the race and couldn't be betting on other people.  Much as it pained him.

P.O.P.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:43:48 pm by Patti L. »
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Come Check out my Blog and read my stuff at:
http://www.blog.admiralwho.com
Admiral Who? now available on amazon!!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: The Emperor
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:16:43 pm »
He's got his adherents, and yes, he grows up some, as well as losing some of the fat, in these books.  The second one mostly?  Long time since I read them, they're not my favorites. 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:22:58 pm »
I agree, I liked just how much he managed to change.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:26:43 pm »
And the fact that it wasn't a "Scrooge" 180 turn around in an improbably short time.  That's one of the things that's so great about Patty's writing, that the characters behave like REAL people in unreal environments.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 12:13:05 am »
Yeah he essentially goes from a young man imbibing too much food and alcohol.  Living under the threat of death if he doesn't mind his minders, to someone with half a spine.  From powerless figurehead to semi-minor player in the great game.

P.O.P.

~~Apologies from me to P.O.P. for going spoiler bar crazy.  I do know of a few people who are on Hurog & have read the Mercy/A&O books but not these yet; I was thinking this would be a rude introduction to the books but if they get this far, these older books should not be under the black bars of doom.
Patti L.,
Busymoddy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:46:07 pm by Patti L. »
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Come Check out my Blog and read my stuff at:
http://www.blog.admiralwho.com
Admiral Who? now available on amazon!!