Author Topic: Carrie Vaughn  (Read 79522 times)

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
Re: Carrie Vaughn
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 09:53:07 am »
I finished Kitty takes a Holiday and I agree with you Gwendolynn - Why did I leave it so long. I had this book in my TBR pile for ages and I totally agree with you about Cormac and his mustache, I just tend to ignore him having one- everytime I picture ones its like those 70's style or those handelbar ones. If he had a goatee or a beard then it wouldnt be as bad.
Exactly!  If there was at least a goatee or even rat patch I could relate!  No one grows mustaches anymore. I can't decide if it is bushy or a handlebar either. 

CandyAss

• Mechanic
    • MySpace.com/librasdarkness
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 07:44:04 pm »
Exactly!  If there was at least a goatee or even rat patch I could relate!  No one grows mustaches anymore. I can't decide if it is bushy or a handlebar either. 

;D  lol  too funny, for some reason I see a Freddy Mercury mustache, those who don't know who Freddy is, he was the lead singer for Queen (We Will Rick You, We Are the Champions, etc)
"You're my density... I mean, my Destiny" - George McFly

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2008, 07:56:07 pm »

;D  lol  too funny, for some reason I see a Freddy Mercury mustache, those who don't know who Freddy is, he was the lead singer for Queen (We Will Rick You, We Are the Champions, etc)

We Will Rick You is better known as We Will Rock You  ;D

Oddly enough, I never gave a thought to Cormac's mustache, maybe because they are not uncommon where I live. 
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2008, 08:13:12 pm »
Heck, I never even noticed he had a mustache! This is news to me! I read entirely too fast and will often gloss over these little details :)
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 07:48:28 am »
Nope I noticed the mustache - it was described in the first book and it was like this is not a man who should have one.
 :D And yes that Freddie Mercury mustache is what I was envisioning - ok I admit I  am mustachist and I am  a bad person  :-\ for being put off with people with mustaches- unless in certain cases it suits them, but I have never really seen a man that suits them unless its a goatee or a beard. ALthough it did suit Freddie Mercury  in a way. lol
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Taphien

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 08:02:56 am »
Heck, I never even noticed he had a mustache! This is news to me! I read entirely too fast and will often gloss over these little details :)

Well, now that you all are mentioning it, I remember reading about the moustache...and I had so successfully suppressed from my memory  >:(

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 11:07:11 am »
Before reading Kitty and the Silver Bullet, I went back and re-read Cormac's description in the first book.  All I could remember was the mustache.  Little did I realize he sounds rather hot - without the mustache.  ;D

Freddy Mercury is better than my imagination provided.  All I could imagine was Dale Earnheart Sr. (nascar). 

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 11:19:37 am »
LOL talking about Cormac's mustache is making it sound alive now  :D I ordered Kitty and the Silver Bullet but I bet if I see Cormac is being described with one now I wont be able to stop laughing after reading this thread. I just cant see Cormac with one though, its funny how the author can describe someone in a book and you think No way that is not what I envision lol
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 11:54:11 am »
LOL talking about Cormac's mustache is making it sound alive now  :D I ordered Kitty and the Silver Bullet but I bet if I see Cormac is being described with one now I wont be able to stop laughing after reading this thread. I just cant see Cormac with one though, its funny how the author can describe someone in a book and you think No way that is not what I envision lol
I feel a little guilty because I think Ms. Vaughn is rather fond of mustaches or facial hair in general (Carl has a beard too).  I think it was supposed to make them more desirable, but it just didn't work for me. ;D Sometimes I change a few slight things about a character's appearance so I can relate better.  Right now I'm imagining Cormac without a mustache and I like him much more.  In a lot of ways I like how Ms. Vaughn doesn't dwell on appearances though.  It is a hard balance to maintain.  Too much description is nauseating (especially when it focuses exclusively on clothing), but without enough description a reader is kind of lost. 

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 11:56:24 am »
What's wrong with facial hair?
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 12:24:27 pm »
I don't believe anything is wrong with facial hair.  I think a lot of people like it.  I can do beards and goatees, but mustaches alone are harder for me.  I think it has to do with my age and the fact that few people I know have mustaches without additional facial hair. 

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 12:29:13 pm »
I agree with Gwendolyn - its not so much about facial hair but when I think of mustaches it just feels like its something out of the 70's although it may suit some men but overall- its a turn off. And the men who do have facial hair tend to have goatees or beards but its rare to see a mustache.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 12:52:45 pm »
Ah!! So I wasn't the only one having problems with the mustaches!!! :D
I tried imagining them Freddy Mercury's style, but then Cormac looked like my father or Magnum PI, which means, hormone-killer (no offense meant to Tom Selleck's fans)... ::) So, since Cormac is supposed to be hot, I did a little styling and provided him with a beard in Leonida's fashion, eheheh ;D *mazoku trying not to drool remembering Gerard Butler...and failing miserably*
And I agree that mustaches are rather rare nowadays, I can't think of anyone beside my father and a friend of his that have them :P
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 05:20:39 pm »
"Inside Straight" came out this week. I read her short story in that anthology, it was good.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 07:13:07 pm »
"Inside Straight" came out this week. I read her short story in that anthology, it was good.

Was it along the Kitty series?