Author Topic: Leah: the character we love to hate?  (Read 12263 times)

simplyme

Leah: the character we love to hate?
« on: July 03, 2011, 02:07:47 pm »
Oh Leah.

Whenever I read about Leah, Bran's wife, I can't stand her... but afterwards, I often get to speculating.  Was Leah always so jealous and so hateful? Or did something we haven't seen in her past make her that way? What was she really like before Bran? How was she turned?

Sometimes I feel pity for her, even.  She may be vindictive, but I don't see her as being dense. She has to be able to tell that Bran doesn't really love her, and that's got to hurt. Sure, she's the Marrok's wife. But to be unloved... it puts her power plays into perspective.  It would be hard to be that character that everyone loves to hate.

I'd like to think that if Bran's wolf chose her, even if it's "supposedly" just to fill the loss of his previous mate (if I'm remembering correctly...), that there's more to her than meets the eye.

If Bran, or even his sons, were put into a dangerous situation.... I would like to think she would risk her lives for them, even if she were to adamantly deny it. 

I'm a little rusty on my Leah information, but I thought I'd post my thoughts anyway.

Speculation, anyone?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Leah: the character we love to hate?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 05:44:44 pm »
I really don't know about Leah. I don't hate her, I guess I'm more ambivalent about her. I hope we get a bit more background for her in Fair Game. I just don't want her to be some sort of 2 dimensional villain-type. I hope we see some depth there.
Hurog Means Dragon.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
 I just think she’s selfish, and petty… and a bit stupid really.  We all know people like that and they get along fine in this world after all.  She’s not a villain because of it, just annoying really.  Such people are usually self centered and insecure IMO and really, she probably knows that Bran doesn’t actually love her the way she thinks he should, and resents his sons because he does love them. Heh, on the other hand, I've met people like that who don't actually want any part of love.  Love is not actually a comfortable fit with a selfish attitude.

As far as her pettiness and sulky/angry attitude, well, that’s just her insecurities showing and she needs to put on her big girl panties and deal with it.  Being self centered and selfish isn’t the end of the world, as I said in anther Leah related thread recently, plenty of people are that way and they get along just fine.  My problem with Leah is that her behavior is detrimental to the Marrok and the pack as a whole, though he’s tough enough to deal with any fallout from it to date on the merit of his sheer strength of will I suppose… it just seems to me that she could do a LOT more to help him which would cement her position better and make life more pleasant all around... but that would spoil her place in the story line as the irritating person she is.  So far it’s really just been petty malice, I wonder if she’ll step over the line at some future point… hmmmmm.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

simplyme

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:06:17 am »
Very true! Sometimes its hard to feel sorry for Leah when her attitude and actions are so juvenile and petty. 

And I agree: regardless of the reasons behind her actions, her behavior is hurting the pack. She definitely has the power to do some harm, too. Being the Marrok's mate gives her a lot of power to abuse, so it's a good thing he's powerful enough to keep her in check!  Maybe the fact she hasn't tried to abuse it more means something.  Perhaps she doesn't care to try it, isn't intelligent enough to think of the idea, or simply fears the consequences.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 12:42:50 pm »
I'm guessing that she was the same/similar. Someone doesn't change that nasty is a short amount of time. Remember that Bran also asked her to be his mate because she was somebody he couldn't fall in love with
Howl more, whine less

baden77

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »
Brans' wolf chose her and to me that is very telling.  Charle's bond with his wolf is almost unique since it goes against everything the Marrok teaches his new wolves.  That the wolf is something 'other' that is to be suppressed and controlled. Those are the same wolves that go on to teach the new ones they create.  To me that would make the internal relationship confrontational, so it may stand to reason that if the wolf did the choosing, that Leah could be a complete personality mismatch to Bran and the only way it works is the physical where the wolf is allowed reign.

Moonbeam

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 04:47:57 am »
Here are some questions I've had about Leah, and I hope they are answered at some point. Maybe they have been, and I just missed it...

How old is Leah? Did Bran turn her, or was she already a werewolf when they met? Is she from Bran's territory, or could she have originally been from overseas somewhere?

That last question came about because of speculation about why Leah has such a spoiled rotten attitude. I imagine her as having been born a spoiled princess in some European nation, turned into a werewolf through some accident or by force, then bargained away to Bran by her original Alpha once Bran started looking for a new mate. Maybe the Alpha owed Bran a favor, or maybe he gave her up because you don't say no to Bran. Either way, it's the sort of thing that could breed even more resentment from someone who may have already been resentful of having lost everything when turned, then bargained away the minute her new pack could be rid of her.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 04:33:36 pm »
The only one of those questions I've speculated on was her age. I would say she's around Charles' age give or take 30 years.

My reasoning:
Bran realized shortly after he lost BlueJay Woman that a mate helped him stabilize, so he probably started looking around for a mate within a decade or two of her death.  And I doubt it would have taken a full century to find a woman that Bran could be sure he wouldn't love but could trust.

However, Bran stated that he couldn't trust Leah with someone more fragile than his two adult sons. I think it was in CW, but I'm not sure. This leads me to think that Charles was probably an adult or close to by the time Bran mated Leah.

These two points together suggest that they've probably been mated for somewhere between 100 and 180 years. And I'm inclined to think that Bran found her sooner rather than later, so I'd narrow it down to between 180 years and 150 years.

Now, she would have been at least 15, probably more when he found her. Especially if she was already a werewolf. However, as female werewolves are fairly rare I feel it's more likely that Bran changed her, though there is no evidence of this yet. So, if she was human when they met, let's put her age between 15 and 35.

So at this point, she'd probably be between 215 and 165 years old. Of course, if she was a werewolf when they met, that range would be much bigger.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 04:43:00 pm »
Not necessarily, remember, that at somewhere in that age range Isabelle went age mad.  Not all werewolves that survive dominance fights & so forth survive more than a hundred years, not if their minds start to go.  I wonder if Leah might have been okay when Charles was small, but it's only the past 50 years or so that Bran finds her dangerous around those more fragile than Charles or Samuel?

And you have to wonder what value of "fragile" he puts on that too, Samuel's got more than a touch of age issues too, now doesn't he?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 04:54:28 pm »
True.

How about this? When Charles thinks about his childhood he hasn't mentioned Leah. He's mentioned that Sam would tell him stories of Bran the Bazerker, mentioned his grandfather numerous times, but he hasn't thought about any impact Leah may have had. That might be because there's been no plot relevence yet, but it might be that she wasn't there.

Also, I'm willing to believe that  Bran was focused enough on raising Charles that he didn't go looking right away. They also stayed with BJW's tribe during Charles childhood which would limit Bran's ability to seek out a mate. These were the days when the only white presence in the area were trappers and explorers. The chances of finding a white woman for a mate is pretty slim unless Bran left for long periods of time to look and I just don't see that happening until Charles was an adult.

Also, I admit, I have trouble picturing Leah living the rough life of a tribe. And I feel that part of what she wanted from Bran was prestige, and at that time there just wasn't that much prestige for a woman to live in a NA tribe.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 05:05:20 pm »
That's for sure, quite the opposite of prestige for that.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 06:04:04 pm »
That would be one point in favor of her already being a werewolf when she mated with Bran; she would know what being the Marrok's mate meant, in terms of prestige. I would think that Charles probably was an adult, or close to it. Maybe at least fifteen or so. 
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:12 pm »
Or a relative of a werewolf.

misspiggy4ever

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 08:41:03 pm »
I think she was vindictive and petty before she was mated to Bran. In fact, that's why I believe Bran chose her as his mate. He makes it a point to think about he how he purposely would never love someone so dearly as Charles's mother because he would turn into a monster with their loss. So I think he purposely picked the pettiest most nasty female he could find. But someone who was strong that could help back up the pack as well. However, since Bran is still in love with his first wife, it just fuels Leah's nastiness.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 10:11:33 pm »
Point of relevance, MissP; BlueJay Woman wasn't Bran's first wife, that - as far as we know - was Samuel's mother, 1800 or so years earlier.  And we have no idea if he had other human wives between her & BlueJay Woman; personally, I expect there were several.  Someone perpetually 20-25 physically has a LOT of sexual drive.  I do NOT believe in 1800 years of celibate Bran.  The time he spent crazy berserk after they got rid if his witch mother, okay, but that was what, a hundred years?  Two?

mellinatre

• Tinker
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 04:53:22 am »
I actually find her so interesting that I would like more info about her past, she is so difficult to read that I can imagine any kind of childhood for her...from very abused to extremely pampered

The fact that I can't point out what could have been her past is what make me careful about her, I read always with interest everything she does and say...and even if I hate a lot of the things that she does I haven't been able yet to hate her 100% or think that she is only so bad that I want her gone forever

She have a lot of appeal for me and I think that she made things interesting so I like her to stay where she is for a long while

I am not sure that Patricia Briggs will ever disclose more info about her, but like I said I would like to know more because hate her seems too simple for a character that for me is one of the most misteriouse of the Mercyverse