Author Topic: Elizabeth Vaughan  (Read 58898 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Elizabeth Vaughan
« on: December 19, 2007, 03:26:04 pm »
I don't know if anyone has read the The Chronicles of the Warlands.

Its a trilogy of books about a healer and a warlord. Here's the summary

Xylara is the Daughter of the Warrior King, Xyron. With her father dead and her incompetent half-brother on the throne, the kingdom is in danger of falling to the warring Firelanders.

Before she was old enough for a marriage-of-alliance, Xylara was trained as a healer. She can't usurp her brother or negotiate a peace--but she can heal the brave ones injured in battle.

But not only her countrymen are wounded, and Xylara's conscience won't let Firelander warriors die when she can do something to save them. She learns their language and their customs and tries to make them as comfortable as possible, despite their prisoner-of-war status.

She never expects that these deeds, done in good faith, would lead to the handsome and mysterious Firelander Warlord demanding her in exchange for a cease-fire. Xylara knows must trade the life she has always known for the well-being of her people, and so she becomes...

I loved this series, the world building and characterisation was excellent and although the premise sounds unoriginal or corny, its not. There are real repercussions and real issues. I really recommend this series especially if you like a good romance/fantasy- even though its set in a fantasy world, there is hardly any magic or people who have Uber powers, and no easy answers.

For chapter excerpts you can find them here

www.warprize.com

I hope that she writes more about this world - I love Kier and Lara.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Staplegun

• Mechanic
Re: Elizabeth Vaughan
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 07:31:09 am »
I like that series too. :) I actually just re-read the first book last night. The only thing I didn't like was that Kier's name changed in the first book from Kier to Keir a couple of times >.<
But even so, it was a wonderful trilogy. :) I'd also like to read more.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 08:40:41 am »
You got me hooked up on this series, now books #2 and #3 are in my wish list, while the first should get here (along with some other "candies" ;D) next week...I really have to stop reading this forum section >________< My wallet is already crying bloody tears from my Christmas expenses, and I still have to tell it that we're going to Vienna for New Year's Eve...  ::)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:22:57 am »
You got me hooked up on this series, now books #2 and #3 are in my wish list, while the first should get here (along with some other "candies" ;D) next week...I really have to stop reading this forum section >________< My wallet is already crying bloody tears from my Christmas expenses, and I still have to tell it that we're going to Vienna for New Year's Eve...  ::)

I'm glad you enjoyed it  ;D- I fell in love with the characters straightaway. But you are lucky in a sense I had to wait for 2 years to get the sequels! I hope she writes more there are some open story lines in the final book, but the over all plot is resolved.

Shes also planning to write a new series of books I think its called Dagger-star but there isnt any news about that yet. But Dagger-star should be out sometime in March.

Edit: I just found a summary for Dagger-star- And yay its set in the same world as the Warlord trilogy.
March is going to be a very expensive month for me- Kelley Armstrong, Anne Bishop and a few more are coming out with books but hey I love it and its my addiction!

After captivating readers with her Chronicles of the Warlands trilogy, Elizabeth Vaughan now returns to that world with a beguiling tale of daggers and destiny, a cold and beautiful mercenary known as Red Gloves, and Josiah, a lone fighter emerging from the torched fields and razed farms of his homeland. All Josiah knows about the mysterious woman is her dagger-star birthmark, a sign that she is destined to free the people from a ruthless usurper's reign of terror.

http://www.amazon.com/Dagger-Star-Elizabeth-Vaughan/dp/0425220613/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198266263&sr=8-1
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:47:27 am by Has »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:29:14 pm »
Has, I love these books. I'd say Warprize is probably my favorite of the trilogy but they're all so good.

I hadn't realized that she had a new book coming out in the new year. Thanks for the heads up! :)
Hurog Means Dragon.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 09:25:29 am »
Ooh, thanks for the heads up about Dagger! I loved Vaughn's Warprize books. I had found book 1 and 3 in the bookstore, but had to wait over a week to get #2 in - I thought I'd go crazy! I can't imagine having to wait two years, Has. I had seen these books and passed them over for years until a friend of mine started raving about them. Knowing we had some similar tastes in books, I finally dove in and fell in love with them.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 08:59:59 am »
Ooh, thanks for the heads up about Dagger! I loved Vaughn's Warprize books. I had found book 1 and 3 in the bookstore, but had to wait over a week to get #2 in - I thought I'd go crazy! I can't imagine having to wait two years, Has. I had seen these books and passed them over for years until a friend of mine started raving about them. Knowing we had some similar tastes in books, I finally dove in and fell in love with them.

Well if this new series is as good as the Warprize trilogy - I bet we all end up chewing our nails for the next installment! (Its bad enough waiting for the next Mercy book)  LOL I hope it doesnt end in a cliffhanger ala Rachel Caine does for her Weather Warden series and Vampire series - I HATE CLIFFHANGERS.

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 01:26:11 pm »
She has a new series? WOOOT! *DANCES AROUND THE ROOM*

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 01:21:04 pm »
The cover is up at amazon UK and US- and let me say its gorgeous. I so cant wait for this book now ;D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dagger-Star-Elizabeth-Vaughan/dp/0425220613/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199485117&sr=8-2

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 10:00:20 am »
Yay this must be the week for updated stuff from my favorite authors - Elizabeth Vaughan has finally updated her site and there is a two chapter excerpt at her site-

http://www.eavwrites.com/

Enjoy

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 10:49:04 am »
Oooh, good stuff!
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 10:55:22 am »
I just finished reading the excerpt- I was that excited that I posted before reading it lol- but I have to say is it April yet- sounds really good and from the blog entry by Elizabeth it looks like there could be hints/crossovers with the Warprize characters. I like it- the world seems to be expanding from that original trilogy and I am really looking forward to learn more about these new characters.

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 04:17:55 am »
I finished reading the whole series yesterday (lot of spare time in a hospital... ::)) and...we likes it!!!
I'm waiting eagerly for her next novel Dagger star to be released ;D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 04:53:26 am »
I know!!!
I cannot wait although this month and the next 2 months there are loads of great books being released its book Nirvana! Also Elizabeth has hinted that we may see Kier and Lara in the new series, and that she may return to them at some point.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 05:33:47 am »
I just finished a book of short stories called Pandora's Closet, Elizabeth Vaughan had a story in called 'Off the Rack'. I enjoyed it, short sweet little tale.
Hurog Means Dragon.