Author Topic: Down These Strange Streets | In Red With Pearls Discussion  (Read 38882 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: In Red With Pearls Discussion
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »
I was intrigued by the way Patty portrayed her zombie.  Usually I get the impression they're somewhere between the "Brainzzzz" shambling horrors, the movie voodoo zombies that are sort of like limited intelligence robots, and the ones with the navigators in the Ilona Andrews books.  This was very, very different.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

WolfGirl30

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 09:04:15 pm »
Warren is a very good PI. I like how he handled all parties involved in Kyles attack. It shows us that all though his control is good he isnt the gentle wolf that everyone thinks he is. I love it!!

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2012, 02:24:06 am »
The little blurb doesn't say, if Kyle is in on the problem. Can you think of the two of them together coming up with a twisty revenge? >D

(By the way Star of David was told from David Christensen's point of view.)

Oh Lady of Mercy! Purple cowboy outfit...

Doesn't it say in Moon Called that Warren has both sides of his house? I could certainly live in one of those...

OKAY! GENERAL COMMENT!

I absolutely, completely & utterly HATE those spoiler bars! I don't have a cent in my name, so I have to survive on spoilers until such time I can afford to buy the books/e-books...you are nasty nasty nasty peeps! I wanna cry... :-' :-' :-'
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:29:35 am by Jabulani »
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2012, 07:17:32 am »
Nasty for buying the book or nasty for discussing it? ;)

I think you'd like the discussion since you mentioned enjoying the spoilers. This thread is actually going to be moved soon to general discussion so there won't be any spoiler bars.

Moon Called makes no mention of Warren owning both sides of the house, he just has the one.

This story revolves around Kyle's house.

I think one of my favorite things about this story is having it from Warren's POV. I love his character so this just really helps to flesh him out and how he thinks and acts. He has such a strong personality but he's very laid back and very much a werewolf. I really enjoyed how he got in Elizaveta's face and made her back down.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2012, 09:51:23 am »
I'm also under the impression that Warren rents, rather than owning.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2012, 09:53:03 am »
I think he rents as well, now that I think about it.  :P Thanks, Patti!
Hurog Means Dragon.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2012, 12:58:24 pm »
I forget now which book, but I believe at one point it was mentioned that the other side of Warren's house was empty, and I wondered if Ariana or Samuel would rent it.

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Janilee

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2012, 01:02:04 pm »
I remember the speculation. :)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, in the last chapter of SB, when Adam & Mercy make use of it, there is mention of the "for rent/lease" sign for the other half of the duplex.

ElefiNecol

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
  • Oh tea!
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »
You remember correctly.  Warren has an apartment SB-334 and the second half is/was for rent,"Both sides were dark - and the other duplex had a FOR RENT sign on the window." SB-334

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2012, 12:34:12 pm »
Yeah, it's for rent, but I'm not sure who would rent it.  Not much of the rest of the pack would be comfortable living next to Warren, partly because of prejudice, partly because he's so dominant. 

A mid or upper level dominant who disliked him would possibly/probably have an urge to challenge him pretty much the whole time they were near each other without Adam around to stand between them.  It's not as if anyone might not want to challenge him leaving the whole gay thing out of the picture, that's probably fairly normal and so probably fairly manageable, but since wolves are often grumpy, if they are angry about Warren's lifestyle, it just adds to the grump-soup.

Sam might not have any trouble with Warren's being gay, but I see him as wanting to keep himself and Ariana away from most of the pack except for certain circumstances.  Also, Ariana probably wouldn't want to be that close to another wolf... though Warren is mighty considerate and all.  Also, Warren as we know isn't as easy going as he appears to most and may not want as strong a dominant as Samuel all that close. 

Maybe one of the submissives would be ok there, Warren would probably make them feel safe... I could see the Pack renting it too just to keep it empty or for emergencies, but I think it was made clear that it was for rent and so empty so there'd be no question that any pack noise would cause a stir with tenants being so close that they'd hear a fight or even just pack business.

Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2012, 12:38:32 pm »
Ahem.  Warren's not out as were, and most of the population of the TriCities is not were.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »
No, I didn't mean the general population, just that people were saying that Samuel could live there, and I think I saw some mention of other pack members living there, if not in this thread, in some other one.  I just don't see why anyone from the books would rent that and now that people are aware of the weres, it's more important that there be no clues about pack activity, so they'd want to keep civilians out of there, or so I would presume.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2012, 01:34:13 pm »
It might be a good candidate for a 'clean' or separate safe house for the pack to use when they have a guest, like Bran, who isn't out, but needs to stay a day or two or ten, so he's/she's not connected to the pack by staying at Adam's house.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2012, 01:48:12 pm »
True.  I remember thinking when I first read Moon Called that it seemed dangerous for a were to live in a duplex that way.  I've lived in both duplexes and in apartments and while either could be made more sound-proof or secure, mostly I've found apartments more so than duplexes.  No idea why they build the division between duplexes so cheesy, but they seem to!  Maybe it's just because the ambient noise in apartments is louder and it all just blends together?

Also, I've lived in base housing which I believe is extremely similar to the houses described in the books.  They are crap for privacy.  Many date back to WWII though most have been remodeled to some extent, still nowadays they'd be considered suitable for only low rent housing.

Anyway, later it became clear that Warren being a lone wolf when he moved there, probably felt perfectly safe being there because he avoided all wolves and he knew his own control was excellent.  Once he became part of the pack, they still didn't socialize.  anyway, the next door apt being empty was either just to make a point that it was safe for the pack to make noise, or else a clue-bat that it's going to be used for something in Mercy VII
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:56:23 pm by DandelionWine »