Author Topic: Down These Strange Streets | In Red With Pearls Discussion  (Read 38157 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: In Red With Pearls Discussion
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2011, 04:58:53 pm »
Talk to Elle, maybe she can offer them through the Zazzle store.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

gingerwood

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2011, 07:10:35 pm »
I was sent an e-mail saying that the kindle version has been delayed a week.  But apparently there's a loophole, because I was still able to read the story via the Amazon Cloud reader app even though it's not available for download to my kindle.

catchmeifyoucan

• Tinker
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 04:12:18 am »
I just downloaded it from B&N last night.  Great story!  I was going to wait a bit but darn, just too many teasers causing temptation!

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 06:21:27 pm »
I couldn't stop myself I downloaded to my kindle earlier. Reading in AM.  9) :P bOuNcY bOuNcY bOuNcY

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2011, 09:11:27 am »
The story was awesome! Got it from my library, so I'm trying to read it as many times as possible.  I liked the justice meted out to various characters; appropriate in each case.  The first note cracked me up; I had a roommate who hated confrontations, so she'd leave notes whenever she was unhappy.  She wasn't psychotic, though, just a little overly fussy.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:43:57 am by Elle »
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 01:57:19 pm »
I particularly liked the discussion about witches, and how hard it is to "walk the line" of attain enough power to be effective without becoming completely evil.  We got a teaser taste in the second Alpha & Omega book, and I've wanted to see more elaboration.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:44:10 am by Elle »
Find what you love and do it!

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 03:58:12 am »
LOVED the story, the book otherwise was a waste IMO.  I suppose other people with other tastes feel that way about their personal favorite authors, but I really didn't think the stories were very cohesive as a group, and I'm a reader of broad tastes.   Most of them just didn't feel like actual uf to me even in the broadest sense of the term.

As far as In Red itself goes though, I was sorry that someone who 'could' have been another friend to Warren turned out that way, but some distance is important I suppose, and it highlights the ways that power can corrupt as well as how lonely a life a were's is.  It's best to keep that distance for the most part...   

The thing about Elizavetta using Robert to increase her power was one of those "DUH" moments for me!!!  I can't believe I didn't think of that though!  Of COURSE she'd use him!  Shows that I could never be a witch in Pattie's books, I just don't think that way.

I think Warren being a PI is perfect in so many ways.  An asset to Kyle, the pack and an asset to future book plots too!  He likes to help people, and dislikes slime-balls, so he's going to get to have some fun!  Good thing he's got such good control though, the slime-balls may not be very appetizing for snack purposes, but still awfully tempting I bet!
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:51 am »
Just to fit this in the timeline. Patty mentioned that this short story takes place between the events of Silver Borne and River Marked.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 09:03:05 am »
Cool.
I have to say I'm glad that Warren took that "we're wolves, not cats" approach to that one person.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 12:30:09 pm »
Doesn't Mercy say that about hunting at some point?  That she's not a cat, she doesn't play with her food?  Or is it someone else?  Or am I even thinking about the right world? 

...just because you're not a cat doesn't mean you won't dismember someone/overkill if sufficiently displeased by them.  See also: Moon Called, Iron Kissed

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:11 pm »
Bran said it, and I think Charles.
Overkill, yes, but not torture before killing.

Grandpappy Wycked

• Pack Member
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2011, 08:17:30 pm »
I think the biggest thing is that it shows Warren's personal Tolerance and how he can use that tolerance to increase his control. He has ALWAYS had to maintain more control in stressful situations that your average wolf doesn't because his own nature creates extra angst. So he has to keep his emotions in check more. He has to control his impulses more.
Sanity has Left The Building.
Please Contact Patti L. for further instructions.

WolfGirl30

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »
I just finished this short. Its awesome. This story is told from Warrens viewpoint. Hes working as a PI and is good at it. It shows us more of Kyle and his life as a lawyer......OHH it has romance  :-LOVE and zombies..........AWESOME!! bOuNcY

WolfGirl30

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 03:26:09 pm »
C'mon.............lets discuss this!!!!! bOuNcY

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2012, 03:46:15 pm »
I hope we can see more adventures of Warren and Kyle - I really enjoyed this story! Warren is a cool PI!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D