Author Topic: Mercy and the Pack?  (Read 16656 times)

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
Re: Mercy and the Pack?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 06:03:12 pm »
Just a quick note; Anna can and does draw on Charles' dominance, remember her stopping the whole - alphas! - hunt chasing and tearing down Charles after the treasure hunt in "Hunting Ground"?

Yep, Anna can call upon Charles' dominance and has done so in emergency situations.  But I think its been more of a general.  I think calling his Dominance will work better to calm or control this situation than my Omega.

I think the difference is that... well Anna is an Omega and that implies something heavy about her ability to effectively interact in the Dominance games.  To my understanding she doesn't have a lick of dominance because her mind just doesn't work that way.  She a Zen-Alpha.  So she can lead and she can understand the dominance games.  Its the mindset to play those games that I think is missing.

Now Patty could prove me wrong.  But so far I have to say that Anna seems to understand it in an intellectual way but by her nature is a bit hobbled.  She just isn't suited to playing the games or she wouldn't be Omega.  She's more suited to like... ?Stopping the Dominance for the betterment of the Pack?  Like a submissive who understands the dominance games, she doesn't want to play on such an instinctive/personality level that even if she tried she might not be able to.

While in Mercy's case, she doesn't have the same instinct package.  In fact her instincts, are partially descended from the freewheeling no one can bind me Coyote.  So while part of her sup-heritage might have coyote pack instincts, that same heritage comes with local-god of freedom inherited quirks of its own.

On the other hand Coyote loves to play games and watch others dance to his tune.

Dominance is a game, she is about as free as she's going to get at the top of the local hierarchy.  So long as she's willing to stay, I'd have to think that her heritage is going to force her to either run away (which being mercy ain't going to happen) or get down in the mud.

Mercy wants the best for everyone.  She understands the were-wolf dominance games, since from the time she was a child/teen-womanhood.  She wasn't really able to participate before because, hey she's a freedom loving rebel coyote descendent, pretty different from dominance/control european were-wolf magic.

However now that her magic is bound up with the pack, she got a in and has shown a willingness to use it.  I think, similar to Anna she isn't well suited personality wise to the were-wolf dominance games.  I do think that unlike Anna, because it is a game, her heritage will help her play it and her personality is just different enough that she should be able to.

If she believes more freedom inside the pack is a good thing.  Chaos, confusion and the betterment of the Pack as a Whole will arrive.  Be it dragged kicking and screaming.  With Anna, I think the Alpha's might do a bit of screaming but the rest of them should come along a lot more happily.  At least more happily than will be the way with Mercy's way of doing things.

IMHO anyway.  I could always be wrong.

P.O.P.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:14:22 pm by Prince of Pain »
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Come Check out my Blog and read my stuff at:
http://www.blog.admiralwho.com
Admiral Who? now available on amazon!!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 08:23:02 pm »
Well, we all have opinions.  I don't personally agree with your idea that Mercy "wasn't really able to participate before because, hey she's a freedom loving rebel coyote descendent, pretty different from dominance/control european were-wolf magic."
Being coyote does have something to do with it, but it's not "freedom loving rebel", it's "too small, too weak, too young, and a competing predator" that kept her from participating in Aspen Creek. 

She didn't participate in the Trikes until she agreed to be Adam's mate because she was not part of the pack.  No pack bonds, no pack status.  -- Oh, Adam did "declare" her as his mate, but she had no idea until well after the fact that it involved her in the pack dynamics, so she left them alone barring the basic "if you're around a werewolf and you know it clap your hands don't look 'em in the eye" type things.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 12:29:18 am »
Well, we all have opinions.  I don't personally agree with your idea that Mercy "wasn't really able to participate before because, hey she's a freedom loving rebel coyote descendent, pretty different from dominance/control european were-wolf magic."
Being coyote does have something to do with it, but it's not "freedom loving rebel", it's "too small, too weak, too young, and a competing predator" that kept her from participating in Aspen Creek. 

She didn't participate in the Trikes until she agreed to be Adam's mate because she was not part of the pack.  No pack bonds, no pack status.  -- Oh, Adam did "declare" her as his mate, but she had no idea until well after the fact that it involved her in the pack dynamics, so she left them alone barring the basic "if you're around a werewolf and you know it clap your hands don't look 'em in the eye" type things.

Huh.  Well I suppose that I might be overemphasizing the extent that her Walker natures interferes or helps with her ability to act like part of the pack and join in the dominance games.   The new mate and pack bonds sure do help (in fact they make it possible for her to do this within the pack).  But I look at Honey.  She's got the dominance and can play the games better than I think Mercy ever really did.  She smaller and weaker than the other dominants.  True she's not a separate predator type.

That said Mercy's size (in coyote form), strength (human normal) and lack of healing ability certainly played a roll in her not being able to compete in Bran's pack.  I think it was more a lack of pack bonds than anything else that kept her on the outside.  Since Samuel was essentially trying to mate with her along the way.

I will note that it took some pretty concerted effort to get her synched up with Adam's pack.  Wasn't it kind of like, we'll do the ritual for the mate bond but of course you probably won't feel anything.  And then its wham bam I'm feeling something strange man.  But then with her Walker resistance, she's essentially got to want something to get through her defenses, unless its big juju.

Also Mercy still doesn't seem to really enjoy getting involved with the dominance games.  Not on the same instinctive level that the werewolves do anyway.  True she's concerned with her general lack of physicality and rapid healing, on the other hand.  Honey knows she's going to get her butt kicked and while she picks her battles she sure seems more willing to throw down and get a beat down than Mercy.

I realize the analogy isn't perfect.  But I think I'm focusing more on the mindset here.  Honey's got the werewolf in the back of her mind saying go go go.  Mercy's got nothing comparable going on.  I think she'll find her way and get involved but its much less an instinctual thing, I guess.  whereas I doubt Anna ever could.  not and remain a sane a stable Omega.

P.O.P.
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Come Check out my Blog and read my stuff at:
http://www.blog.admiralwho.com
Admiral Who? now available on amazon!!