Author Topic: Mercy and the Pack?  (Read 16874 times)

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
Mercy and the Pack?
« on: February 08, 2011, 08:10:38 am »
What's gonna set Mercy off when she moves into Adam's..  and to be fair, things that might drive the pack crazy too. 

**Excluding Pack-bond issues, (except maybe really funny ones --Keep it clean!!!) just for now lets assume Bran got her past most of that**

Who ate the last cookie out of the community cookie jar?
Dang pack leaving their piles of clothing laying all over!
Who's gonna clean Medea's littler box?
How mad would Mercy get (or anyone else really) get if a grumpy wolf snapped at Medea?

Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Mercy and the Pack?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:36:29 am »
Lack of privacy is going to be the big one.  You can't hold a private conversation without playing rock music at ear damaging decibels.
Everyone knowing by scent when they've been . . . consummating their relationship.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:07:48 pm »
True, you'd think that a house that Mercy has described as a mansion in one of the books, would be big enough or at least well built enough that it's a bit more sound proof.  I hope they remodel the master suite, including possibly a guest room into a sitting room upstairs for personal cozyness use for by them at least part of the time and thoroughly sound proof at least that part.

//stolen from another thread, do werewolves lift their legs on the shrubbery?  I hope they don't kill the landscape!

Will she institute No Pack days?  imagine a sign on the door,

///Attention///
This is a NO visitor night
Unless you are at death's door, you better stay away from ours!

//edit to add, I think to some degree, she's already getting at least a little more comfortable with having the gang around.  I can't imagine Christy ever being happy about it so I bet Mercy makes a big effort on it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:12:51 pm by DandelionWine »

Galbalicious

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:56:42 pm »
I can't help but think that Mercy having had some time alone with Adam, together on the fringes of the pack bond I guess, would help Mercy's status, standing, and acceptance in the pack. Honeymoon seems exactly what they needed.

For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:42:36 pm »
Mercy getting into trouble, and the pack trying to keep Mercy out of trouble.  This one's a gimme, considering a couple scenes in RM. 
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 05:13:25 am »
Hey Kkat, that sort of brought a thought!  Do ya'll suppose that Mercy's 'talent' for trouble might slowly become a sort of asset to some, or even most of the pack?  Adam's always expected a lot of discipline from his wolves, but they haven't always been happy with just a few rabbits on moon hunts... or so it seems to me.  He's not one to waste a chance to use circumstances to the benefit of his pack, if he can just find the right angle.

She seems to attract reasons for them to go after dangerous enemies which it seems to me they'd actually enjoy.  A lot like Jessie said about the fight with The Fideal, like Jessie said, they loved that fight and it seems to me they only got upset over it on principal... and then really (probably), only a few for their own reasons.

Are they really looking for a peaceful existence full of safety and security?  Also, if they aren't fighting a common enemy (or 10) they have more time to bicker and push/pull amongst themselves...  something TI's (or DI's) in the military are well aware of.  Find a common goal to aim the platoon or flight at, get them aimed and armed, then let them fly in the right direction.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:10:31 am »
Wonder if they could use it to finagle a retainer or contract out of the Grey Lords for taking care of some of their messes before they come to public attention... Or Bran...

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 08:29:53 am »
Hmm, if one wants to be that closely into business with the Grey Lords, tricky and ruthless as the fey are.

Also, it would be a question of public relations I think. It is too soon in the game as known monsters to appear truly monster like. IMO

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 02:32:42 pm »
Oh, they'd have to still keep a very low profile.  And it doesn't have to be all warfare and mayhem... just sometimes!  *cough cough*  And then, they know how to errr... bury the evidence darn well.

Galbalicious

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »
The fae still creep me out =3 And I like the point about having a common enemy, very true.

For three years I had roses, and apologized to no one.

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 06:24:36 pm »
With all the trouble the fae and the vampires end up sending their way (or causing), they ought to start charging.  The Columbia Basin Pest Control Service.  :-whistle They could have fun and get paid for it.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 06:55:06 am »
  they could charge per wolf
Howl more, whine less

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 06:08:22 pm »
Or charge per dead body.  ;D Extra points for ripping them to shreds and eating them! 

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 06:46:55 am »
 LOL Sadly I don't think the cops would see it that way
Howl more, whine less

Varg

• Pack Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 09:31:27 am »
Well if the bodies were eaten how would the cops know anything? O)

-Leo Tolstoy

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:13:43 pm »
hmmm... blood, missing persons reports maybe, but still a good point
Howl more, whine less

Varg

• Pack Member
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:23:52 pm »
And we must not forget: with the services of a witch one might avoid forensic evidence all together.

-Leo Tolstoy

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 03:38:15 am »
expensive witches, or Charles
Howl more, whine less

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 06:29:22 am »
How about the pack going behind Mercy's back by talking with Mercy's mother about some Mercy/pack issue.  I'd think that'd torque her off.

Or how about Mercy invites over some of of Stephen's family of blood doners for a get together barbeque and some of the pack makes a big issue about how blood bags aren't welcome on pack territory.

P.O.P.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:23:57 am by Prince of Pain »
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Come Check out my Blog and read my stuff at:
http://www.blog.admiralwho.com
Admiral Who? now available on amazon!!

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:16 am »
What's gonna set Mercy off when she moves into Adam's..  and to be fair, things that might drive the pack crazy too.

Privacy, or lack off. Then again she could always order them away like she did at the end of RM.

How about the pack going behind Mercy's back by talking with Mercy's mother about some Mercy/pack issue.  I'd think that'd torque her off.

But can they go behind her back like that, after all she is 1.5 in the pack rank.

Or how about Mercy invites over some of of Stephen's family of blood doners for a get together barbeque and some of the pack makes a big issue about how blood bags aren't welcome on pack territory.

Again they may be miffed, but can they make an issue? Well unless your Paul.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 11:56:00 am »
to clear forerics WHite popherous or Magnus fires
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 11:57:24 am »
Privacy:  I can see Mercy getting tired of the issue and asking Adam to just stop rebuilding "like new", just leave this place for the pack and get a bungalow out back with much more soundproofing for their personal use.  Or move somewhere while the whole place is soundproofed (and reinforced, so the walls don't keep getting punched out) and redecorated in something smarter than white carpet!

Going behind Mercy's back to Margi:  If she doesn't say anything pre-emptively, they can do as they please with regard to that; they just need to be prepared for the consequences.  From Mercy, Adam, AND Margi.  :-whistle

They can sure be miffed, but they're pretty well aware that they, like vampires, WERE human before they were changed.  And they know that while most vamp's "sheep" are kidnapped, essentially, Stefan goes more for wooing or making deals, so the donors may be turned, or they may simply retain/attain improved health/youth.  The wolves making a scene, that may well happen.  Mind, any higher ranking wolf can tell them to shut the heck up, and it's done.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:47 pm »
They can sure be miffed, but they're pretty well aware that they, like vampires, WERE human before they were changed.  And they know that while most vamp's "sheep" are kidnapped, essentially, Stefan goes more for wooing or making deals, so the donors may be turned, or they may simply retain/attain improved health/youth.

Yes, I'd imagine they'd be more sympathetic and informed than anything else.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:31 pm »
Although there would still be those who are creeped out or blame the donors, just like happens to rape victims!

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 12:10:56 pm »
That's just ignorant!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 12:12:58 pm »
Oh, sure, and again, werewolves are human first, during their formative years.  --Good having some fun discussion on these subjects with you today, Pendle!

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 03:32:22 am »
On the subject of just being ignorant...  Or perhaps a better word for it is prejudiced.

I think we have to remember that the young were-wolves are essentially part of our own culture, with an emotion surging, inhibition lowering, ravening beast as part of their new make up.

Plus, who are their tutors during their formative, crucial transition from vanilla mortal to shape shifting semi-monster?  A bunch of older were wolves, who are all products of their cultures.  So they were either born back in the 50's with that whole outlook (at the youngest).  Or they are hundreds of years old.  We've already seen how their biases and the lack of female numbers, which play into those biases, have worked out.

With the Vampire donors, essentially playing for the opposing team...  A harsh outlook from someone who grew up in a more clanish or tribalistic us against them/the world outlook.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are modeling lots of bad behaviors for their impressionable young were-wolves.

But this is getting off the Mercy and the Pack topic.

So to try and drift things back to where they belong.

Like Patti L. said, they can say anything they like behind her back, so long as she hasn't specifically instructed them not to.  So long as specifics don't get back to her and she forbids it, then they can say whatever they like.

Also I've got to think that Mercy will have a higher threshold for such back talk than other alpha's/alpha-mates.  She's this free wheeling, independence and freedom ideal loving rebel at heart.  Squashing rebellious languague that is irritating but ultimately harmless would go against the grain.  So unless they caught her at a really bad moment and she could justify it as keeping the pack together, I think they've got free reign.  At least until Adam finds out or they move from snark to outright rebel activity.

Also I have to think the Pack, is going to start looking to Mercy for direction on whether what they are doing is human or not.  Maybe not too openly.  But she is the softer gentler face of the alpha pair.  She is a supernatural who can get down on all fours and run with them, she grew up emersed in were-wolf culture and she doesn't have mindless beast out to eat everyone in sight if they relax their grip for a few minutes.

Once they get over their were-wolf inspired dominance games, or at least over most of them anyway, she will be a great weather vien.  Kind of like a crippled Omega.  Only in Mercy's case she makes up for it by being at least partially able to play the dominance games, Anna makes mostly unnecessary and by virtue of the personality which makes her an omega pretty much can't engage in.

Or as I like to think of it.  Its not so much that she can't, its just that well she can't, just like most of us couldn't be child murderers, abusers, etc.  You've got everything you need to be able to do it, except the mindset that would allow such activity.

Mercy on the other hand, is able to use Adam's dominance.  She has also found that much as she might like to think of herself as fully human, she's got this instinctive submissive thing going on with Adam.  It ticks her off but I think it goes to show that on some level, her human/coyote soul has some of these animalistic traits.  I think though its just like everything.  Mercy's got animal traits blended in with her human ones and the human is dominant.  Its like she's got some recessives in there, she can work to and call up.  While the were's have the full meal deal wolf instincts, hyped up on magical were-steroids.  Its a difference in degree.  And she's on the opposite side of the spectrum from the weres.  But it could be that unlike how she likes to think of herself, she acutally is on the same spectrum, if she focues.  Consciously or unconsciously.

I also think that Mercy will be able to start a lot of fun little human stuff that might be missing.  I mean Adam's a guy, and the stuff that I want to do, just isn't always the same as my wife.  So even if some of the stuff she'd like to do occurred to me, as a were-wolf leader I probably couldn't find the time to push for it.

While in Mercy's case, just like with movie night.  I think that she'll start all these little human traditions.  It'll be like, grrr its been six months and I haven't gone out for icecream.  Come on girls we're doing ice cream and dumping these men.  Or maybe its like, its been two years since I went to the water park.  Whose going with me?  Get your swim suits.  Our lord and master is gone for the weekend and I for one and going to have some fun.  Plus if the were-wolves ever went out to motion pictures as a group I can all but guarantee that Adam wasn't taking them all out to any romances.  With Mercy in the picture I think things will be split slightly more evenly.

Stuff like that.  Just natural human stuff that a were wolf would OCD themselves to death about how it would be  viewed, and why they wanted to do this in the first place.  Mercy has a slightly broader view of were-wolf society than some and certain natural inclinations.

So in addition to the shooting range and sword practice and anything all else they were doing, her more Civilian take on life is going to shine through some of Adam's military hierachal/were-wolf heirarchal influenced way of doing things.

Some of the were's will want to play games but unless there area more outright rebellions things should come around.

I would love to have Anna and Mercy become friends.  Having that I have no were-instincts but am a hybrid immersed in were cultures with I have access to wolf instincts but don't have listen to them if I don't want to, would be a great meeting.  Especially in Mercy's home pack range.

Charles in the background to put all the wolves on edge with his dominance.  Anna who can sooth them and leave them scared at how fast their wolf went to sleep.  And Mercy and Anna arguing over some mundane human thing.  Maybe even getting under eachothers skin or just mildly irritating and disagreeing on something minor.  All the wolves are OCD'ing over everything and here are two people just getting to know eachother and trying to ignore the twitching of everyone around them.

P.O.P.
Q: What do you do when your friends turn on you and hand you over to the Vampires?
A: Get yourself turned into a werewolf and go back to rip their freaking heads off.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 09:41:47 am »
Just a quick note; Anna can and does draw on Charles' dominance, remember her stopping the whole - alphas! - hunt chasing and tearing down Charles after the treasure hunt in "Hunting Ground"?

bookworm

• Tinker
    • Savory and Safe (food blog)
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 11:41:18 am »
With all the trouble the fae and the vampires end up sending their way (or causing), they ought to start charging.  The Columbia Basin Pest Control Service.  :-whistle They could have fun and get paid for it.

"Columbia Basin Pest Control Service" -- I like that :D.
My food blog, jointly run by me and my best friend: www.savoryandsafe.com

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 11:46:30 am »
They would want to make sure they don't get dinged for termites, wasps, ants, and rats...
Although they might take on raccoons, as nice snacks... >D

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 06:03:12 pm »
Just a quick note; Anna can and does draw on Charles' dominance, remember her stopping the whole - alphas! - hunt chasing and tearing down Charles after the treasure hunt in "Hunting Ground"?

Yep, Anna can call upon Charles' dominance and has done so in emergency situations.  But I think its been more of a general.  I think calling his Dominance will work better to calm or control this situation than my Omega.

I think the difference is that... well Anna is an Omega and that implies something heavy about her ability to effectively interact in the Dominance games.  To my understanding she doesn't have a lick of dominance because her mind just doesn't work that way.  She a Zen-Alpha.  So she can lead and she can understand the dominance games.  Its the mindset to play those games that I think is missing.

Now Patty could prove me wrong.  But so far I have to say that Anna seems to understand it in an intellectual way but by her nature is a bit hobbled.  She just isn't suited to playing the games or she wouldn't be Omega.  She's more suited to like... ?Stopping the Dominance for the betterment of the Pack?  Like a submissive who understands the dominance games, she doesn't want to play on such an instinctive/personality level that even if she tried she might not be able to.

While in Mercy's case, she doesn't have the same instinct package.  In fact her instincts, are partially descended from the freewheeling no one can bind me Coyote.  So while part of her sup-heritage might have coyote pack instincts, that same heritage comes with local-god of freedom inherited quirks of its own.

On the other hand Coyote loves to play games and watch others dance to his tune.

Dominance is a game, she is about as free as she's going to get at the top of the local hierarchy.  So long as she's willing to stay, I'd have to think that her heritage is going to force her to either run away (which being mercy ain't going to happen) or get down in the mud.

Mercy wants the best for everyone.  She understands the were-wolf dominance games, since from the time she was a child/teen-womanhood.  She wasn't really able to participate before because, hey she's a freedom loving rebel coyote descendent, pretty different from dominance/control european were-wolf magic.

However now that her magic is bound up with the pack, she got a in and has shown a willingness to use it.  I think, similar to Anna she isn't well suited personality wise to the were-wolf dominance games.  I do think that unlike Anna, because it is a game, her heritage will help her play it and her personality is just different enough that she should be able to.

If she believes more freedom inside the pack is a good thing.  Chaos, confusion and the betterment of the Pack as a Whole will arrive.  Be it dragged kicking and screaming.  With Anna, I think the Alpha's might do a bit of screaming but the rest of them should come along a lot more happily.  At least more happily than will be the way with Mercy's way of doing things.

IMHO anyway.  I could always be wrong.

P.O.P.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:14:22 pm by Prince of Pain »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 08:23:02 pm »
Well, we all have opinions.  I don't personally agree with your idea that Mercy "wasn't really able to participate before because, hey she's a freedom loving rebel coyote descendent, pretty different from dominance/control european were-wolf magic."
Being coyote does have something to do with it, but it's not "freedom loving rebel", it's "too small, too weak, too young, and a competing predator" that kept her from participating in Aspen Creek. 

She didn't participate in the Trikes until she agreed to be Adam's mate because she was not part of the pack.  No pack bonds, no pack status.  -- Oh, Adam did "declare" her as his mate, but she had no idea until well after the fact that it involved her in the pack dynamics, so she left them alone barring the basic "if you're around a werewolf and you know it clap your hands don't look 'em in the eye" type things.

Prince of Pain

• Mechanic
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 12:29:18 am »
Well, we all have opinions.  I don't personally agree with your idea that Mercy "wasn't really able to participate before because, hey she's a freedom loving rebel coyote descendent, pretty different from dominance/control european were-wolf magic."
Being coyote does have something to do with it, but it's not "freedom loving rebel", it's "too small, too weak, too young, and a competing predator" that kept her from participating in Aspen Creek. 

She didn't participate in the Trikes until she agreed to be Adam's mate because she was not part of the pack.  No pack bonds, no pack status.  -- Oh, Adam did "declare" her as his mate, but she had no idea until well after the fact that it involved her in the pack dynamics, so she left them alone barring the basic "if you're around a werewolf and you know it clap your hands don't look 'em in the eye" type things.

Huh.  Well I suppose that I might be overemphasizing the extent that her Walker natures interferes or helps with her ability to act like part of the pack and join in the dominance games.   The new mate and pack bonds sure do help (in fact they make it possible for her to do this within the pack).  But I look at Honey.  She's got the dominance and can play the games better than I think Mercy ever really did.  She smaller and weaker than the other dominants.  True she's not a separate predator type.

That said Mercy's size (in coyote form), strength (human normal) and lack of healing ability certainly played a roll in her not being able to compete in Bran's pack.  I think it was more a lack of pack bonds than anything else that kept her on the outside.  Since Samuel was essentially trying to mate with her along the way.

I will note that it took some pretty concerted effort to get her synched up with Adam's pack.  Wasn't it kind of like, we'll do the ritual for the mate bond but of course you probably won't feel anything.  And then its wham bam I'm feeling something strange man.  But then with her Walker resistance, she's essentially got to want something to get through her defenses, unless its big juju.

Also Mercy still doesn't seem to really enjoy getting involved with the dominance games.  Not on the same instinctive level that the werewolves do anyway.  True she's concerned with her general lack of physicality and rapid healing, on the other hand.  Honey knows she's going to get her butt kicked and while she picks her battles she sure seems more willing to throw down and get a beat down than Mercy.

I realize the analogy isn't perfect.  But I think I'm focusing more on the mindset here.  Honey's got the werewolf in the back of her mind saying go go go.  Mercy's got nothing comparable going on.  I think she'll find her way and get involved but its much less an instinctual thing, I guess.  whereas I doubt Anna ever could.  not and remain a sane a stable Omega.

P.O.P.