Author Topic: [Mercy #6] River Marked Discussion  (Read 105756 times)

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
Re: River Marked Discussion
« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2011, 07:10:01 am »
If you've ever read or heard Coyote stories, you'll know that he's not kind!  He may be a little taken aback by Mercy at the moment.  But traditionally and normally he teaches people hard lessons, and mostly lets them figure things out on their own even if it's the hard way. 

I'm no expert at all, (hey I'm Polish not NA) but I've heard a few of the stories in person and read others... I suspect Coyote will be really enjoying having the walking stick, and with the stick's new mood, the stick will be enjoying it's time with Coyote as well. 

I'm going to hope that Coyote turns his hand at teaching those who are in opposition to the Walker who is Mercy, and not her friends... but he is most unpredictable.  He often teaches humility, even though he's far from humble himself.  If someone's clever enough though, they can win his respect no matter how temporary!
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2011, 08:49:43 am »
I finished the book a few days ago and have just been hanging around reading what everyone else thought.  I loved the book though!  It was very interesting that Mercy was able to kind of meet her father and learn a little bit more.  I to would like to know how Coyote knows Stephan, especially since Stephan is such good friends with Mercy now.  I can actually see how Mercy might change Coyote's perception on some vampires with her close friendship with Stephan. 

I also liked the part where Daryll called Adam when he was shot and Daryll wouldn't take Adams word not to come.  I sense that some of the wolves just might look to Mercy for direction more than Adam....now wouldn't that be funny. 

One thing I want to see more of, however, is the tricks that Mercy plays on people.  That just makes the stories more funny.  I would also like to know/hear more about what Bran and his sons have done at weddings.  That would be hilarious. 
Another good story.  Good job Patty!!

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2011, 09:49:34 am »
I also liked the part where Daryll called Adam when he was shot and Daryll wouldn't take Adams word not to come.  I sense that some of the wolves just might look to Mercy for direction more than Adam....now wouldn't that be funny. 

If it was Mercy who was shot, they wouldn't have taken her order not to come without speaking to Adam.  Because Mercy worries about Adam more than she worries about herself, and Adam worries about Mercy more than he does about himself.

But it's good to see that at least some of the wolves respect Mercy enough to consider her input.  I'm sure that there are still others in the Pack who would say, "Mercy got Adam into trouble again... if Adam says they don't need help, I'm certainly not going to go running to save the coyote's butt."

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2011, 12:39:49 pm »
Ouch.  I certainly have to agree with that assessment, Kyria!
Find what you love and do it!

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2011, 12:41:57 pm »
I agree too, that seems to be more likely than anybody ranking her aboce Adam.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Janilee

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2011, 01:30:00 pm »
I want a short story of Daryll playing paintball.  :D

marci8300

• Tinker
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2011, 01:42:07 pm »
You guys could be right but I think a lot of the contention was resolved when Henry was taken care of and the pack members realized that Mercy had a hand in resolving it.  I believe that the pack has also realized that if something did happen to Mercy they not only will have to deal with Adam and Samuel but also Bran.  The pack threw Mercy a party after they found her in Silver Borne so I guess I just assumed that the pack was over it or getting over it. 

If nothing else, I believe that that comment made people realize that Daryll at least respects Mercy's opinion especially when it comes to Adams health. 

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2011, 02:36:29 pm »
As for the party at the end of Silver Bourne - yes, finding Mercy probably made life in the Pack more bearable because it made Adam (and other upper-level wolves) happy...  And getting the Henry-Paul-Mary Jo issues taken care of helped, too.
But that doesn't mean that the wolves are all reconciled to Mercy's place in the Pack.
Kind of like when you're a little kid and one of your classmates has a birthday party.  Even if you don't like the birthday-boy/girl, you might go to the party because you like (to borrow from my childhood) roller-skating.  Or cake.  Or just the excuse to be with the classmates you do like.  Or because otherwise you'll be left out.  Or whatever your reason. 

Or, probably closer to Mercy's situation: consider a soldier returning home from the middle east.  Regardless of our personal opinions of the conflict there, or of any individual soldier, the majority of Americans are happy to see soldiers returning home safely. 

In other words, just because they're happy that Mercy didn't get killed or permanently enthralled by an evil faerie queen, doesn't mean that they like Mercy any more than they used to. 

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2011, 05:28:21 pm »
Well, a lot of that is reasonable Kyria, but there's also the info Adam told Mercy about the pack bond, which Mercy has finally gotten the hang of it seems.  They're all more aware of each other at times, but the rough edges get smoothed out, they know who resents who, and why, who dislikes Daryl, who irritates Honey, who looks down their noses at Mercy, and who sneers at Ben etc etc...  but they still have to work together at times.  They know that if Adam catches them being truly nasty he'll *hurt* them...  but yeah, now that the party, wedding and various other excitements are over, there may be some other irritations popping up.

Oh, and Daryl always seemed to tolerate Mercy if only because he knew Adam expected him to, not sure I'd call it respect though... maybe a little, at least respecting a few of her talents, including her talent to manage Adam.  He may not like it, but he's always seemed at least resigned to his need to accept their relationship.

Has anyone considered what Jim Alvin meant when he told Mercy, "I think you are taking something precious home with you from this trip."? 

It's probably knowledge.  Could be new friends... not sure though.  ...anyone else?  Ideas?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:30:59 pm by DandelionWine »
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2011, 06:24:47 pm »
Heritage?
Though I agree, knowledge is probably a good part of it. 

And, I think Coyote is pleased with her.  Which isn't necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, knowing Coyote...but it may mean much more excitement for us!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2011, 06:40:34 pm »
I think its about her roots/acknowledging that and knowing what tribe she is from. I think there is something very important about that also links up with the theme of Mercy always feeling the outsider - this book ends up with her knowing who she is and what she is. I think that helps to confirm she is not an outsider/loner anymore.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Sopbasa

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2011, 08:40:56 pm »
I loved Coyote! Not quite sure if he's bad (him and Charles exchanging words and pushing Mercy into the river) or good (pulling her out and visiting her when he "got back") or what I always think neither he's just... Coyote.... unpredictable and all. I suspected that he was her father and he was....  ;D kinda. I love being right in a left handed way.  ;)

Still, I wouldn't want him and Bran plotting scheming working together in the same room. What a scary thought!
"Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought her back"
"I smile because I have on idea what's going on around me."

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:51 pm »
Somehow I don't see Coyote and Bran getting along.  Coyote is a force for Chaos in the universe... Bran stands for order and control.  They might like each other well enough, but I don't see them being able to see eye-to-eye on a plan of action.  Could you see BRAN supporting the "We need to learn about the river monster.  OH! I KNOW! I'll just throw this conveniently placed Mercy in!" idea?  'Cause I see Coyote getting eaten if he tries springing that with Bran.  Surprised Adam didn't, actually.

If you could get them to work together, they would be splendidly terrifying... I just don't see it happening. 

As for Coyote being good, bad, or just himself: I think perhaps Coyote knows a lot more than he lets on.  But that he is simply himself, mischievous and always intent on stirring things up.  I think he threw Mercy in the river, for instance, to test her as much as to find out about the monster.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2011, 03:41:51 am »
The thing about Coyote is that he is not an easy charachter, and having him pleased with you might be marginally safer than having him annoyed with you but either way he is an agent of chaos and in the wake of chaos there will often be danger death and or destruction. He does teach hard lessons and not always with a soft touch.All of which means that having his close attention may be a very exciting thing, in the chinese sense of exciting. At least if PBs Coyote is like the mythological Coyote.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

yasmine

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2011, 05:14:24 am »
Somehow I don't see Coyote and Bran getting along.  Coyote is a force for Chaos in the universe... Bran stands for order and control.  They might like each other well enough, but I don't see them being able to see eye-to-eye on a plan of action.  Could you see BRAN supporting the "We need to learn about the river monster.  OH! I KNOW! I'll just throw this conveniently placed Mercy in!" idea?  'Cause I see Coyote getting eaten if he tries springing that with Bran.  Surprised Adam didn't, actually.

If you could get them to work together, they would be splendidly terrifying... I just don't see it happening. 

As for Coyote being good, bad, or just himself: I think perhaps Coyote knows a lot more than he lets on.  But that he is simply himself, mischievous and always intent on stirring things up.  I think he threw Mercy in the river, for instance, to test her as much as to find out about the monster.

Yeee gads!!!  :o Coyote and Bran plotting... I'd have to wonder what continet they were planning to take over cause face it... a government is easy picking for the pair... :P