Author Topic: [Mercy #6] River Marked Discussion  (Read 103449 times)

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
Re: River Marked Discussion: Early Reviews and Spoilers
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2011, 09:46:25 am »
Patty's problem is that she's never learned to write a two-dimensional  walk-on character who basically says, "Don't mind me, I'm 'innocent victim #3' and I'll be permanently offstage in just a minute.    Instead, she ends up with a cast of thousands, and everyone rooting for their favorite players to get more stage time! 

To make it worse, she introduces a bunch of NEW characters.  Le Sigh.

Now why would that be a "problem", Mike. That is exactly what I love so much about Patty's work. Let me tell you something. Only three authors have ever really satisfied my need for truly evocative characterization - in other words, characters that make me fall in love with them, cry and love and fear and get angry for and with them - and they are Eric Flint, Mercedes Lackey and Patty Briggs.
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: River Marked Discussion
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2011, 10:18:52 am »
I love the Kindle pre-order feature as the book was waiting for me when I woke up at 5 am!
Of course I had an insane day and had to sqeeze my reading in but I did finish at 11 pm last night.
There is so much to love about River Marked and while my obsessive nature might have liked more details about  the wedding: how did Mercy wear her hair? did she have a veil? rings? Adam gave her rings? when and what did they look like? etc, more details might have slowed the story down. The scene was lovely in its simplicity and emotion.
I enjoyed meeting Coyote and all the information or not information he had to share. I am sure that is going to impact future stories.
Loved the humor, loved the love shown by all the characters.
At the end I had a thought. Will Mercy's mortality be impacted by the fact that her father was basically a human construct or skin of an immortal spirit. I know Patty said she doesn't like to give her characters too much power but is Mercy mortal when her father was not?
So much to speculate and obsess about.

About Mercy's mortality - I think its a little bit more - she's def not immortal but she's also not fully human. I do like the ambiguousness though. It is fitting in a way just like how father is not her father :D - although I do wonder if there is something about acknowledging is a factor in this. Both Mercy/Coyote wont acknowledge each other but something is there. Hope we see more of Coyote and Gordon!!!! I think they were fantastic!
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2011, 10:39:37 am »
I really like Coyote too. And the trickster part is so wonderfully ambiguos and fun! :D Of course he is not her father! He was her fater but he is dead.
Yup. Makes perfect sense.  LOL

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

yasmine

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2011, 11:33:17 am »
Okay where's the next book?!  LOL I LOVED this one!!!

gingkogirl

• Tinker
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2011, 12:24:25 pm »
Quality takes time!
Patty has recently moved to a one book a year schedule.
Since the next A&O book, Fair Game is due in Jan of 2012, I don't
think we'll have another Mercy book until Jan of 2013.
Rereading is a good thing. I am rereading River Marked today!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2011, 12:29:48 pm »
There are, however, a couple of short stories due out in collections between now and then; but that says nothing about RIVER MARKED.

I was fascinated to see Thunderbird as a Walker type along with Bear, Coyote, Wolf, etc.
Also, somehow I thought Coyote had 6 sisters, and was initially thrown off when only 4 appeared to Mercy.

I'm also curious, now that we know what we do; if someone did a genetic test on Mercy; would she show as Blackfeet, Blackfoot, or some other tribe?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

yasmine

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2011, 12:30:27 pm »
Quality takes time!
Patty has recently moved to a one book a year schedule.
Since the next A&O book, Fair Game is due in Jan of 2012, I don't
think we'll have another Mercy book until Jan of 2013.
Rereading is a good thing. I am rereading River Marked today!

I know! I know! But this one was so good...  :P They're like potatoe chips you just can't eat one... LOL

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2011, 12:39:18 pm »
There are, however, a couple of short stories due out in collections between now and then; but that says nothing about RIVER MARKED.

I was fascinated to see Thunderbird as a Walker type along with Bear, Coyote, Wolf, etc.
Also, somehow I thought Coyote had 6 sisters, and was initially thrown off when only 4 appeared to Mercy.

I'm also curious, now that we know what we do; if someone did a genetic test on Mercy; would she show as Blackfeet, Blackfoot, or some other tribe?

Patti that was something that made me go hmmmm too- at the beginning Mercy mixed that up and then at the end when she was talking to Calvin she said Blackfoot. And then he replied she was going to take something precious with her back home. Again it goes back to the acknowledging thing. I wonder if this is going to crop up again. Am I reading too much into this? Because it really feels like this is important or it feels it is leading to something.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

yasmine

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »
What worries me is the reprocussions after this little adventure!!! :o

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2011, 12:55:06 pm »
Oh, of course repercussions; that's SOP in this series, which is one of the reasons we love it.

I'm wondering more on the fact that Coyote - or was it one of the other characters? - kept asking if she was sure of the tribe; just because "Joe" said he came from Browning, that doesn't mean he was from a local tribe.  I'm from Waterville Washington, but my 1/4 to 1/64th AmerInd blood could be Comanche, or one of the eastern tribes, for instance.  My grandfather on that side of the family came up from Texas, and I don't know if it was his wife, his mother, or his grand or great-grandmother who was a full blooded whatever.  I have no idea where the family lived before Texas, nor, indeed, where IN Texas.  And, of course, Indian tribes migrated or got pushed from one territory to another by the other tribes, as well as the #%^* governmental relocation!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2011, 12:59:25 pm »
Do you think each tribe affects reflects or has a Walker's ability? So Mercy saying she's from one tribe confirms/develops it?

yasmine

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2011, 01:07:27 pm »
Do you think each tribe affects reflects or has a Walker's ability? So Mercy saying she's from one tribe confirms/develops it?

I think that it may have something to do with each walkers abilities... I (being no expert) have read different Native American folk lore and while there are similar components there are also some pretty big differences too...

For example... I'm from the Philippines but we have 118 DIFFERENT dialects... Tagalog being the most common... We're all Filipinos but if you are from a northern island doesn't mean that you can automatically talk to someone from a southern island...

retro

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2011, 01:14:57 pm »
if the only people who are born walkers have either a spirit for a parent or both parents are from spirit lines how does the fact that wolf claims the wolf spirit in adam afect thier posible kids? guess we'll have to wait and see.

loved cayote and for some reasone really hope we see a short about when he met stephen >D

loved the book an already rereading it

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »
Well, the same is decidedly true among the NA natives, Yasmine.  They found that out big time (although it should have been known already 9) ) during WWII, with the famous "Windtalkers", where someone had the devious idea of keeping the Nazis or Japanese from understanding our radio communications by having NA radio operators... but the Navajo, Hopi, Cherokee, Blackfoot, Blackfeet, Salish, etc., etc., etc. couldn't understand each other either...
I'm not quite sure if "Do you think each tribe affects reflects or has a Walker's ability? So Mercy saying she's from one tribe confirms/develops it?" is saying/asking if "Blackfeet means you can do X things, you're an X walker; BlackfOOt means you can do J things, you're a J walker", or "Thunderbird only had offspring in X & Y  tribes, so if you're a thunderbird, you can only be from one of those tribes; Coyote had children by women of the tribes in Z area, so if you're a coyote walker, your ancestry has to be from the tribes that are associated with that area."

Coyote/trickster god got around; he's in pretty much every tribe's mythology, either as Coyote or as Raven or Crow, usually.  Bears are in most US environments too... as are Ravens & Crows.  Wolves used to roam across the whole of the NA continent too.  I don't see it meaning much about her ancestry, except that interesting "It ordinarily has to come from both parents, but if THE Coyote is the father, the child will be a Walker, full stop" note.

cathgarc

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2011, 01:56:41 pm »
Finished the book last night and I just LOVED IT!

The wedding scene was so cute, and of course Jesse and her mom would be behind it. I thought it couldn't have been more perfect.
I loved Coyote. My favorite scene was when he pushes Mercedes into the river when she asks "How big  is it?" I couldn't believe he did that but at the same time I couldn't stop laughing. In the end Mercy cant tell him anything because she did ask and he was giving he a detailed answer.
Stefan's back, YAY! It makes sense that in the end he was the one that came to help Mercy during her rough patch when she did the same for him in the beginning. It wouldn't have been Mercy if she just accepted everyone's help. She doesn't like being dependent on people and the fact that she kicked almost everyone out of the house fits her character. Poor Mercy! I seriously had my doubts for this book if she was going to make it out alive. Thankfully she did, even if this was the worst she has ever come out of a fight.
Then there's Adam. I really loved that we were able to see their honey moon. (even if Adam let himself be set up by the fae) The whole I have Mercy and dont need a stool thing, the dead bunny, him breaking through the trailer (even if it wasn't the first time) all just made me love him even more! Too bad that he keeps having to fly out though and has to leave Mercy :( He needs a replacement ASAP.
My favorite quote: Dad, What did you do to Mercy?
Really wish we could have read his response to that.