Author Topic: [Mercy #6] River Marked Discussion  (Read 103210 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: River Marked Discussion: Early Reviews and Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 05:45:33 am »
New characters - Ohhhhhh I like new characters. I think that is one of the disadvantages of having a large cast but then its a good thing too because for me it makes things fresh and can take a long series into a different direction although it is nice to hear and see what the older characters are doing but I can understand.

Looking forward to what the new characters are like! ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Jabulani

• Mechanic
  • Life is waaayyy too short to be grumpy...
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 05:52:37 am »
I actually think the vamp that might be a fae could be Bloody-gauntlet guy - something about the way he was described makes me think he is and even the Seethe was scared of him.

But why would Stefan then say that he doesn't know whether the movie-vamp was still alive?
I'd rather enjoy life...besides, it costs nothing to smile!!!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 06:27:41 am »
Stefan didn't really say that Schrek was part fae though- he said he was old and very very scary. I don't think he will show up in the books but you never know but I think bloody-gauntlet guy was introduced for a reason and I thought he looked strange and I think he is definitely one to watch/
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 09:05:18 am »
New characters are great too.  Don't worry, I know the book will be wonderful and that will make up for any 'lack of screen time' by my favorite characters.  As long as I know that my favorites haven't gone completely missing or something!

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 09:05:30 am »
I do love new characters.

Has, you have a good point about Gauntlet Vamp. There is something different about him and hopefully we'll get to meet him again later in the series. I'm still not sold on him being a hybrid but I do love the wide berth that everyone gave him in Bone Crossed.

Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 02:31:43 pm »
Wow, lots of fun stuff to comment on.
It's only the first chapter, there's a whole rest of a book where we might hear about Ben, Honey, etc., etc.!   :) 
And Mr. Mike has taken care of that with his information; he's doing his Ben thing, away from Mercy & Adam doing their Alpha Pair Hardy Boys thing.
Then regarding the 2 current candidates for "part-fae vampires"; well, ONCE does not cause (usually) a ban; they could BOTH be part fae, and the reasons that it's forbidden, couldn't they?  (Patti's ebil complication mart; 2 for 1!)
Given the attention paid to Gauntlet Vamp, yes, I do expect to see him causing more trouble somewhere along the line, but if we've done without him for one book, we could go for two; vampires "live" long enough that they don't ordinarily rush into things, I don't imagine, even in their politics.
But the fairly elaborate build up of Schrek at the beginning of this book says to me that Patty means to use him IN this book, for something.

But that's my opinion, feel free to disagree, you may be a lot closer to the 'truth' than I am!  Isn't it fun?  LOL
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:22:17 pm by Patti L. »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 07:33:40 pm »
But that's my opinion, feel free to disagree

I'll bite. ;)

I don't think we'll see Schrek in any of the upcoming books. I'm going to consider it a one off discussion during Bad Movie Night. Maybe we'll start a poll on it after RM comes out.  ;D

I don't imagine we'll see many vamps in RM other than Stefan but you never know there.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 08:05:45 pm »
But we will get butterflies.  Maybe.    LOL
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 07:44:28 am »
I think this is going to be more about the walkers and the creature.  And of course the wedding plans and/or wedding. Patti love the butterfly smiley! LOL LOL LOL

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 11:26:04 am »
I agree Elle I do not think vampires will be a big part of RM. Butterflies.... maybe LOL

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

gingkogirl

• Tinker
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 09:51:36 am »
I agree, I think this scene in Chapter 1 is introductory and lets us catch up with Stefan but that the vamps will probably be scarce in RM.

So, do you all think we'll get to actually see a wedding in this book? I mean, Mercy tells us in Chapter 1 that the wedding is 6 weeks away. Generally, the action in a book does not run that long.

It would be great fun to read the actual event, with or without butterflies!

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 12:42:59 pm »
Who knows. Hopefully *fingers crossed*

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Rider

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 07:13:06 pm »
Since most of this book takes place away from the Tri-Cities, many of the regular cast don't make an appearance at all.  This is a problem with a long-running series.  You either do a Hardy-Boys, where all the interaction takes place between a handful of people, or you introduce new characters.  Patty's problem is that she's never learned to write a two-dimensional  walk-on character who basically says, "Don't mind me, I'm 'innocent victim #3' and I'll be permanently offstage in just a minute.    Instead, she ends up with a cast of thousands, and everyone rooting for their favorite players to get more stage time! 

To make it worse, she introduces a bunch of NEW characters.  Le Sigh.

Lol as long as Mercy and Adam are there I'm happy. Actually one of my favorite thing about Patty's books are the characters, they're all so real, it's impossible not to love (or hate) them.

Back on topic... I agree, I doubt there'll be much vampires in RM. I was under the impression it would focus more on Walkers and ghosts (and possibly sea monsters I'm convinced there's something in the river that's going to try to eat Mercy), but who knows?

Wedding wise, I hope so! If not in RM maybe in Book 7. Could be a nice ending after the Trailer Trip of Doom.  LOL

DandelionWine

• Mechanic
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 03:12:39 pm »
Why is everybody so happy that warren fed Stephen, again? I laughed so hard as I was reading about the wedding, i can't even imagine werewolves and butterflies together. Ford is pretty scary. i keep wondering when he'll become a full fledged vampire.

Ok, I'm totally new here, but I couldn't resist signing up so I could comment, when I read the part about the doves, then the pigeons, all I could think of was werewolves at the wedding getting startled and chasing the doves as they took off... ok maybe none of Adams wolves would be so sloppy as to lose control and actually chase them, but maybe a *snap* of teeth by several at the very least!

Since I'm new I hope you will forgive me asking this in 'not quite' the right spot, but has it been mentioned if the Audio book will be released at the same time as the print version?  Thanx.
Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye - and deny it

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »
Welcome to the Hurog board, DandelionWine! Amazon only has the print and Kindle version of River Marked listed; I don't know about any other versions. A good place to check on the forum would probably be the Other Media section; I think they include stuff about audio books there.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone