Author Topic: Bran's Relationship with his Children  (Read 30121 times)

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: Bran's Relationship with his Children
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »
 How much did Samuel help Bran to become the marrok?
I don't think hat the books explicitly say that Sam was there when Bran first arrived in North America. Could Sam have come later?

Samuel was definately there while Charles was growing up. I just wonder if Samuel has ever had some time to himself. Maybe Charles becoming Bran's enforcer was at least partially Charles recognizing that Samuel was feeling a little trapped or uncomfortable inthe position he was in.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 03:25:27 am »
Hmm. Interesting, I don't think it says explicitly that Sam was there when Bran came over the pond. It is just him that is mentioned. They might very well have been apart for some time.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2011, 05:03:03 am »
Or maybe Samuel was the Enforcer for hundreds of years for Bran? I could see that, I could also see him not being happy in that position, but doing it because there was no one else. Charles taking over for him being more a brother taking over another brother's job when he was old enough. I don't think either of them would leave Bran without one of the Cornick brothers as his second.

I like your points caerali, Bran and Samuel were a unit for quite a long time before Charles was added to the mix.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2011, 09:40:21 am »
I noticed that Bran says HE was with that trapper, whose name I don't remember, before he met Charles's mom.  That doesn't mean Samuel wasn't there, too, but that always gave me the impression that Sam wasn't with him, at least for a while.  He could have been out doing jobs for Bran (travel took longer in the early 1800's!), and I don't for a second imagine that Sam was 'off-duty' from following Bran's orders, but it has always seemed to me that in the context of a conversation about Samuel, Bran might have used "we," if they were both doing the mountain-man thing with whatsisface the trapper. 

I also didn't get the impression, by the way Charles's transformation into Bran's enforcer has been referenced, that it was Charles's choice to become enforcer so much as Bran's decision of what he needed, and molding Charles into that.  BRAN might have seen that Samuel wasn't thriving in the role, and Charles may have been aware of it and willing to allow himself to be put in that position, but I don't think it was a case of Charles necessarily being the nice little brother.  Another thing to consider - and I realize that it's probably different when you're 200 years old and there's what, more than 500 years between you and your older brother?  But human nature is full of pettiness, and I've never gotten any sense of faded resentment from Charles towards his brother, even when he's worried about what Anna will think of him as a killer, a monster, etc.  I bet I'd have that thought if it was my brother!