Author Topic: General Movie & Television Discussion - What would you like to see?  (Read 12059 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: General Movie & Television Discussion - What would you like to see?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 12:42:35 pm »
I'd love to see it on AMC. :)
Hurog Means Dragon.

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 01:13:48 pm »
AMC would be really good......I still like the idea of TNT, just because of the Librarian movies (which had decent effects).  USA get more funding than SyFy, plus their programming is taken more seriously,  so they'd put out a better product.  I already knew they had the same parent company.

As it is, though, the books don't exactly call for a load of difficult effects, so as long as the movie/miniseries/tv show gets put out by a decent company and given the proper attention, then the effects should be alright.  Another reason I don't want a series is because it'd have even less time and budget for effects, so what effects they should have wouldn't be as good as a movie or miniseries.
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

K07

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »
Ah, I see what you mean Rob. I completely agree USA is a better network all around than SyFy. Battlestar Galactica was the only quality program I've seen on SyFy in terms of writing and effects. The rest isn't made in a way to appeal to a broader audience which we all know Mercy's stories would be capable of doing.

With the success of Twilight and True Blood, I wouldn't be surprised if a different network wanted their own paranormal show. USA, TNT, AMC, etc. This is all very wishful thinking as the movie rights are really what are in possession of studios now.

lnzc_2000

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:40:52 pm »
I personally think that it should be done for television with a small number of episodes (i.e., 6-12) so they can spend time and money on them, covering one book a season.  It should be pitched to cable, USA, syfy, AMC, CW, possibly Fox...TNT...HBO/Showtime. 

I actually think the books are pretty clean language and gratuitous sex wise...the editing for television wouldn't be too bad.  I think the special effects are getting much better in tv series, witness "The Walking Dead" and "Battlestar Galactica" and "True Blood."  Its possible to do a good job with a limited budget, it just depends on the innovation and ingenuity of the director who knows what they are doing with the camera...can push their camera to the limits of its capabilities...

You don't necessarily need big name celebrity actors these days to get a good show.  There are a lot of really good television actors out there.

I really believe Jennifer Carpenter would make the absolute perfect Mercy Thompson.  Please check out her work on Dexter on Showtime.  Jennifer was trained at Julliard and has done broadway as well
  Also possibly Summer Glau...
 fantastic scifi actor, very physically fit for this part, unusual qualities in a female actor, was a trained ballerina...

K07

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 06:28:01 am »
I just watched all 5 seasons of Dexter in the past two months. Great show! I would think that 12 episodes would be ideal for a Mercy show as well. I would love them to keep the rating to TV-14/PG-13. I agree the content of the books isn't predominantly offensive material so I see no reason to pull an HBO/Showtime on it and add the f-word and sex scene to every episode. When they must show something sexual, they don't have to show us EVERYTHING. And shows can seem realistic and gritty without swears being dropped in every sentence.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Jennifer Carpenter as Mercy at all. She takes tomboy roles and goes too far with them. I can't stand Deb. I prefer Katee Sackhoff's take on Starbuck to Jennifer Carpenter's take on Deb Morgan. Katee is butch but still feminine and sexy. Jennifer just acts like a dude and is constantly crying. I'm not saying I want Sackhoff (not at all, actually), but I do like her style.

Fangarella

• Tool Wrangler
Re: General Movie Discussion - What would you like to see?
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 11:36:23 am »
Good point, CK! It was just the rights to Moon Called.

I just altered the K07's subject title to encompass the thoughts of a television series as well. I'd love to see this happen over a movie. Something similar to True Blood but without their focus on sex, they tend to overdo it, IMO, for the shock factor.

I'm currently watching season 1 of 'Bitten' the Space channel Television adaptation of Kelley Armstrong's novel of the same name, and I have to say, the first thing that came to mind was how much better a novel would come out as a dozen episodes then a 2 hours movie.

I personally don't feel movies do most novels justice. There simply isn't enough time to explore anything but the central themes of a story, with only a few of the non-essential elements making it to screen.  It's also easier to circumvents what I feel is the biggest trap of movie adaptations; a Director's need to stamp their on interpretation on a story, instead of trying to be as faithful as reasonably possible to the original story. I look to Game of Thrones as an example. Season 1 was incredibly faithful to the original novel and masterfully executed. I has earned it's spot as one of the most popular series of it's kind.

With the state of CGI today, and the relatively sparse special-effects needed to convey Mercy's adventures, mostly limited to character transformations, and the occasional supernatural combat scenes, I really believe something truly wonderful could be achieved...

The mere notion of 8 seasons, 80+ hours of Mercy Thompson onscreen makes me drool.