Author Topic: General Movie & Television Discussion - What would you like to see?  (Read 12004 times)

K07

• Tool Wrangler
I didn't see a topic like this. This is to talk about a possible Mercy Thompson movie. Anything not pertaining to cast information as I saw a topic like that already. I am personally on the fence if I even want to see a Mercy movie made, but it is a fun thing to think about and thought I'd share my feelings and here some of yours.

Here are some some things I'd love to see in no particular order:

* Mac's transformation and captivity. It could either begin the movie with this as a hook for audiences or shown through flashbacks. A lot of A&O story could be glimpsed here by viewers. I'd think Anna would make for a great cameo. She doesn't have to speak or do anything but stand there and be seen by us viewers to get excited about. Justin and Leo could also be shown during that footage.

* PG-13 rating. I think it's possible to tell a great story without loading it up with language, sex, and violence. I understand these books are intended for mature readers, but there's a difference between reading about explicit content and watching explicit content. It may turn some people off. If it's not critical to the story, don't show it. For example Mercy's rape would be hard to exclude from the movie; Mercy having sex with Adam (if she even does, I honestly can't remember) could be made an implication to the audience. The film has to be violent but studios can get away with so much more these days than a couple decades ago. Keep the blood and gore in check and it should be fine.

* Animated. I think I'm in the minority here, but I think I could get really excited for an animated feature vs live-action. With the right animation studio and artists, it would prove to look/feel much more like the books than a special effects studios now could with the budget this movie's likely to be given.

* Location filming. If this is live-action, could it actually be filmed in the Tri-Cities? Those living there would know the difference! It's expensive and a mix of location shooting and soundstages would be a more likely scenario, but it'd be great to show the real-deal for parts of the film. If the film were animated, artists should visit and know what parts of the city they want to depict!

* Little details. Fans of books, comics, or video games love it when movies nail the small details. Mercy's tattoos. Medea. Jesse's crazy hair styles. Bran actually looking like a college student. These are things I'd expect to see.

What do you all think?

ETA: Spoiler tag removed and title modified to encompass television discussion. Elle
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:49:45 pm by Elle »

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: General Movie Discussion - What would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:26:46 pm »
The only problem I can think of with any movie is the werewolf transformation process. Would it be shortened? Other than Charles', the other wolves take a bit to change. A similar transformation is Being Human's George, he's pretty screamy though, that gets distracting after a bit.  ;D

I'd rather see it live action over animated though. One thing I've wondered is if a movie was made would it be the first book or would it be elements of several?
Hurog Means Dragon.

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 04:32:32 pm »
Good thought Elle, at this point I would kinda like a movie that encompasses all the Mercy books to date but if I am not mistaken the only book purchase was Moon Called.  Sorry not animation for this series as a movie. I want real people playing the parts and great cinema graphics for the changes to wolf.

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 04:35:29 pm »
Even Charles takes time usually.  I think it was a rush in his transformation to meet Anna's neighbor in "Alpha & Omega". 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 04:49:09 pm »
Good point, CK! It was just the rights to Moon Called.

I just altered the K07's subject title to encompass the thoughts of a television series as well. I'd love to see this happen over a movie. Something similar to True Blood but without their focus on sex, they tend to overdo it, IMO, for the shock factor.

I think Patti L. you and I were discussing what the series would be called and you came up with a great suggestion. Call it "Mercy's Garage". I think we'd get a much greater treatment of the characters and scenarios and they could pick and choose from the short story characters as well.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 04:53:06 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
Re: General Movie & Television Discussion - What would you like to see?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »
Don't know if that was me, but it's not a bad series title.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
It was totally you! We had a late night PM conversation about it.  ;D
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 05:04:32 pm »
Ah, I guess I've deleted the PMs.  It does make sense, since one way and another, that's (rather than Bran in Montana) where everything originates.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 05:14:51 pm »
I'd prefer to see it as a series too. There's much more that can be done storywise in a series than in a movie.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 05:21:36 pm »

I just altered the K07's subject title to encompass the thoughts of a television series as well. I'd love to see this happen over a movie. Something similar to True Blood but without their focus on sex, they tend to overdo it, IMO, for the shock factor.

I think Patti L. you and I were discussing what the series would be called and you came up with a great suggestion. Call it "Mercy's Garage". I think we'd get a much greater treatment of the characters and scenarios and they could pick and choose from the short story characters as well.

I think it was for the first 3 books according to the press release - not sure though. I think George is a screamer though ;D but I can see a very similar style of transformation although I am not keen on the final shape of his wolf though.
I think a series is better to explore the books and characters ala True Blood but then there is noise that after the next few seasons they will also do a movie or two.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

CarolKat

• modGroup
  • Pack Member
  • purrrrr
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 05:42:49 pm »
I only remember Mr. Mike mentioning Moon Called.  I could be wrong., heaven knows I've missed other things. I could so get into a series with Movies in between to fill the blanks.  9) :P :-LOVE

When I'm good I am real good  >D , When I'm bad I'm even better :-whistle

K07

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 06:06:30 am »
I'd prefer a series or even a miniseries to a movie as you can have more elements. Put it on SyFy or USA rather than HBO or Showtime. I would want a TV-14 rating instead of "True Blood's" TV-MA which just means we have to get through all the sex  9)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 10:53:46 am »
If we couldn't get a full fledged series, I think a mini-series would be a great way to go.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »
I think I'd prefer a miniseries, to anything......I think a full series would be to dragged out and the story would be chewed to heck......while a movie would be good, a miniseries would allow more detail.

.....and I'd say, USA network.....no SyFy, they'd kill it......or maybe TNT - I love The Librarian miniseries(es?)  {what is the plural of minseries??}
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

K07

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 12:35:45 pm »
.....and I'd say, USA network.....no SyFy, they'd kill it......or maybe TNT - I love The Librarian miniseries(es?)  {what is the plural of minseries??}

USA and SyFy are the same thing (NBC/Universal). They just choose to put certain shows on certain channels as they appeal to different audiences. If this were made, I am sure they'd air it on SyFy. The biggest issue I see with miniseries over movie is special effects would be awful. But then again, what would the budget of this movie be? The special effects will probably be bad either way you slice it.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 12:42:35 pm »
I'd love to see it on AMC. :)
Hurog Means Dragon.

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 01:13:48 pm »
AMC would be really good......I still like the idea of TNT, just because of the Librarian movies (which had decent effects).  USA get more funding than SyFy, plus their programming is taken more seriously,  so they'd put out a better product.  I already knew they had the same parent company.

As it is, though, the books don't exactly call for a load of difficult effects, so as long as the movie/miniseries/tv show gets put out by a decent company and given the proper attention, then the effects should be alright.  Another reason I don't want a series is because it'd have even less time and budget for effects, so what effects they should have wouldn't be as good as a movie or miniseries.
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

K07

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »
Ah, I see what you mean Rob. I completely agree USA is a better network all around than SyFy. Battlestar Galactica was the only quality program I've seen on SyFy in terms of writing and effects. The rest isn't made in a way to appeal to a broader audience which we all know Mercy's stories would be capable of doing.

With the success of Twilight and True Blood, I wouldn't be surprised if a different network wanted their own paranormal show. USA, TNT, AMC, etc. This is all very wishful thinking as the movie rights are really what are in possession of studios now.

lnzc_2000

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 06:40:52 pm »
I personally think that it should be done for television with a small number of episodes (i.e., 6-12) so they can spend time and money on them, covering one book a season.  It should be pitched to cable, USA, syfy, AMC, CW, possibly Fox...TNT...HBO/Showtime. 

I actually think the books are pretty clean language and gratuitous sex wise...the editing for television wouldn't be too bad.  I think the special effects are getting much better in tv series, witness "The Walking Dead" and "Battlestar Galactica" and "True Blood."  Its possible to do a good job with a limited budget, it just depends on the innovation and ingenuity of the director who knows what they are doing with the camera...can push their camera to the limits of its capabilities...

You don't necessarily need big name celebrity actors these days to get a good show.  There are a lot of really good television actors out there.

I really believe Jennifer Carpenter would make the absolute perfect Mercy Thompson.  Please check out her work on Dexter on Showtime.  Jennifer was trained at Julliard and has done broadway as well
  Also possibly Summer Glau...
 fantastic scifi actor, very physically fit for this part, unusual qualities in a female actor, was a trained ballerina...

K07

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 06:28:01 am »
I just watched all 5 seasons of Dexter in the past two months. Great show! I would think that 12 episodes would be ideal for a Mercy show as well. I would love them to keep the rating to TV-14/PG-13. I agree the content of the books isn't predominantly offensive material so I see no reason to pull an HBO/Showtime on it and add the f-word and sex scene to every episode. When they must show something sexual, they don't have to show us EVERYTHING. And shows can seem realistic and gritty without swears being dropped in every sentence.

Personally, I don't like the idea of Jennifer Carpenter as Mercy at all. She takes tomboy roles and goes too far with them. I can't stand Deb. I prefer Katee Sackhoff's take on Starbuck to Jennifer Carpenter's take on Deb Morgan. Katee is butch but still feminine and sexy. Jennifer just acts like a dude and is constantly crying. I'm not saying I want Sackhoff (not at all, actually), but I do like her style.

Fangarella

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 11:36:23 am »

I'm currently watching season 1 of 'Bitten' the Space channel Television adaptation of Kelley Armstrong's novel of the same name, and I have to say, the first thing that came to mind was how much better a novel would come out as a dozen episodes then a 2 hours movie.

I personally don't feel movies do most novels justice. There simply isn't enough time to explore anything but the central themes of a story, with only a few of the non-essential elements making it to screen.  It's also easier to circumvents what I feel is the biggest trap of movie adaptations; a Director's need to stamp their on interpretation on a story, instead of trying to be as faithful as reasonably possible to the original story. I look to Game of Thrones as an example. Season 1 was incredibly faithful to the original novel and masterfully executed. I has earned it's spot as one of the most popular series of it's kind.

With the state of CGI today, and the relatively sparse special-effects needed to convey Mercy's adventures, mostly limited to character transformations, and the occasional supernatural combat scenes, I really believe something truly wonderful could be achieved...

The mere notion of 8 seasons, 80+ hours of Mercy Thompson onscreen makes me drool.