Author Topic: The blood exchange in Blood Bound  (Read 18405 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
The blood exchange in Blood Bound
« on: November 13, 2007, 03:53:47 pm »
I just finished rereading Blood Bound and something leapt out of me which links with last weeks chat with Patty. I asked her if there was any consequences when Stefan shared blood with Mercy and she said something of a catalyst happening. In BB the humans who live in a menagarie have longevity even though they may not turn or die  if they are treated right.
What if something similar happens to Mercy? I don't mean that small exchange will make her immortal but perhaps her magical heritage makes it more potent? Stefan when he came to visit, he sort of expected something  would have happened  but then Mercy is half Walker so the full affects wont appear till later. I do believe that this kinds of ties in with the history of the Walkers and the Vampires. Perhaps  the vampires viewed the walkers like a super dupa hemoglobin Red Bull source  :D but the Walkers fought back with their abilities. The vampires are also attracted to the weres for similar reasons.
I think what Stefan did not only will have repercussions for Mercy but he would probably be in the doghouse with Marsiella as well.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
Re: The blood exchange in Blood Bound
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:15:44 pm »
yeah that struck me as odd to when he expected something and was a little surprised nothing happened, he wasn't too sure either that nothing was going to happen
that last point could very easily be true and i wonder what patty thinks about it

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 11:07:23 am »
Great thought, Has. It makes sense.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 01:50:13 pm »
yeah, thats a really good idea, post it in the ask patty section and see what she says about it

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 12:55:23 am »
When was he expecting something to happen and was disappointed?  Sorry its like 3am and Im a little slow...

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 08:46:53 am »
 Mercy asked Stefan if there was any about any consequences she might have after the blood exchange when he came to visit her later- this was after he told her about the fact that Andre and his so called punishment. Mercy suspected that he was visiting her for another reason - all of this is in the beginning of chapter 14
 I have a feeling it was to check if there was any permanent signs of effects of the blood exchange and also because he cares for her deeply  ;)
But  he was relieved/relaxed that there was nothing out of the ordinary  and any affect was temporary. But  there was a definite feel to me that he was expecting something because of the way he sorts of dismisses it and he was too casual and Mercy caught on to that.
But what repercussion will be is a mystery- my theory is that with some of the humans in the menagerie who had any psychic abilities boosted after their blood bonds. So a similar thing may happen with Mercy i.e the ghosts and perhaps some form of ability with other dead people like vampires? Which is why the walkers were hunted because of the threat and danger they can pose to them.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 10:01:39 am »
yeah i think that could be - making her powers stonger with the exchange - but if ghosts are scared of vampires, wouldn't the ghosts stay away from mercy the more echanges with vampires she has?

courtesy of Has

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 05:37:41 pm »
I dont think so, because Mercy only deals with Sefan mainly.  And I dont think he would have to many ghost enemies.  And even if she does exchange with them, they've gotta know that she still has the power to take out some of the vamps, see the ghosts, be living 24/7, and help them with what they need.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 09:22:44 pm »
that is true, i just figured with the vampire blood in her the ghosts might not like her

courtesy of Has

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 07:28:49 am »
I just had another thought as well- Mercy can interact with ghosts especially if they are strong- well aren't vampires dead people too? What if she could affect them some other way via her walker powers?
Because although the ghosts could threaten the vampires in some ways the vampires could use their menagerie as a defense against any threats.

Grey Drakkon

• Mechanic
    • Ranasp's Deviant Art Page
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 09:38:01 am »
Oh nice one, Has!
"Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between existentialism and a bad mood."  ~Kris, "Blade of Tyshalle"

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 12:18:08 pm »
thats a really good point, it could also be part of the reason the vampires don't like walkers

courtesy of Has

Spryte

• Mechanic
  • Wheeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 02:48:13 pm »
I remember Stefan saying that this gives him some power over Mercy... I am quite interested in finding out what these are...

It could be like a calling thing, maybe Stefan will be able to sense how she is feeling a bit more easily, there are bunches of options there... It should be fun finding out.
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public... for the most part...

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 03:06:37 pm »

It could be like a calling thing, maybe Stefan will be able to sense how she is feeling a bit more easily, there are bunches of options there... It should be fun finding out.

In the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, that is exactly what happens when a vamp feeds on a human plus that human temporarily gains speed, strength and beauty.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Taranis

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 03:11:06 pm »
There is a lot of mystery in Stephan's character.  It makes me wonder just how much he really knows (about everything in general)?  Mercy has good reason to be afraid of him, because she's just realizing how deep the vampire world is.  What kind of agenda does Stephan have?  He is one of - if not the only - vampire not bound to his maker.  Why?  And what kind of advantage does this give him?  I know that he would never intentionally harm Mercy, but he is so much more dangerous than he let's everyone know. What, exactly, does he want from all of this??  8)