Author Topic: Speculation on Charles' reaction to Ariana  (Read 20629 times)

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
Re: Speculation on Charles' reaction to Ariana
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 03:27:18 pm »
It's not ordinarily used on out-pack people, though.  Dominance IS; it's not something that's ordinarily thrust on people; damping it down for oneself is a talent one either has or doesn't; Bran does, Charles does, I'm not sure about Samuel.  The "quiet" that the pack can cast to keep people from (for instance) hearing pack dominance fights, is one of the few magics that packs have and use on non-pack.  I don't know if Bran or his sons could soothe Ari; in point of fact, THAT is Anna's bailiwick, as Omega.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Patti L, just speculating out loud. We don't really know what Bran can or can't do, as Mercy herself attests. And even though calm is something that Anna brings to the wolves, as Patty wrote it, Bran was able to keep Charles in his form. We all read the same book, so we all know that Charles wasn't exactly calm through the process of having a bullet removed, but it was Bran who kept Charles from spontaneously changing to wolf and he didn't do it by saying, "okay Charles, while Samuel is working on you, DON'T CHANGE." So I'm surmising that Bran's power can be wielded subtly. I don't what that power is or how it is applied. I just think he does what he needs to do and no one else can do whatever it is that he does.

And I agree that the alphas don't use their gifts on non-pack. But I guess I wasn't being very clear, so I apologize for that. I'm only thinking that--perhaps--it was something that Bran did for Samuel that helped soothe Ariana a bit. You're absolutely right that it couldn't be dominance. But it was something. Mercy's instincts are rarely wrong (completely). The work is not all done by any means. But I think Bran has done ... something. And this, to me, is extremely intriguing. Clearly, it is also intriguing to Mercy, though she is getting better at letting go of her curiosity when it comes to Bran.

These little discussions are always frustratingly fun....

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 04:06:21 pm »
Nice to wrangle out our different takes on the idea, and you're welcome to disagree with me, I could be SOOO wrong!  LOL  It's not a fight, it's just airing views, right?

I think that what I am thinking is "Bran is Charles' Alpha, werewolf to werewolf, of course he could calm HIM; but he's NOT Ari's Alpha; and even if he somehow was her alpha, she's not a werewolf, so his werewolf magic might - note the might!  Although I am moderately convinced by my own reasoning that it's pretty likely - not work on her emotional state the way it would on any other werewolf.  After all, Adam, who is slightly less dominant than Samuel, although he is an Alpha while S. isn't one right now, did manage to trick & force him back into wolf shape, so that Sam could be in charge again, instead of Samuel.

However, on re-reading your most recent post, I also think that you could be right in your way; possibly Bran is using either some uber-alpha power, or some heritage of his witch blood, to make Samuel more - well, for lack of a better term - human, to Ari.  So she isn't the one who is being affected by the magic, but is being affected by the magic applied to the other.  Does that make sense?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 05:37:43 pm »
Now see Patti L you brought up something there. Adam isn't Sam's alpha but he managed to used what is Alpha power or the pack power to force change Sam back to wolf? Which has nagged my question can you be in more than one pack?Since I know that Sam has drawn off Mercy before (SB) and Bran obviously as we agree did something for Sam for Ari, and since Mercy really belongs to Adams pack which in (SB) Bran stated was also apart of his pack. Which makes me think Mercy is like in 3 packs and not just one. Although I guess even Bran might feel that since he looks out for all the weres in North America that could encompass Sam to a degree as it would with Adam's pack since Bran can draw on the power of all the alphas in North America. Interesting thought there.

LOL I didn't see Charles even thinking about changing since Sam was working on him. Bran is a piece of work though :)
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 06:43:16 pm »
So she isn't the one who is being affected by the magic, but is being affected by the magic applied to the other.  Does that make sense?

Exactly!!! Great minds think alike ... eventually ...  9)

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 06:47:27 pm »
that's just scary - ya know that.
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 06:51:48 pm »
Which, the secondary effects of the magic?  Kind of reminds me of how Mercy got around the Druid's cloak.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 07:00:29 pm »
I meant the great minds think alike comment.  I get what you were saying though. But still  brings in my prior question about the alpha and pack. Anway I think you are onto something though Patti L. it could very well be secondary. Although when Mercy grabbed the stick that is when she was able to actually kill Tim - he who is not worth mentioning :)

dee

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 01:05:32 pm »
he who is not worth mentioning :)

LOL i don't know why i found that funny

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 03:19:54 pm »
- I do, probably because it was similar to the voldamort thing in harry potter  >D

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 01:34:04 pm »
I also don't believe that Sam will want to leave Mercy quite yet. Since they are "pack" he may want to look after her even if he isn't in love with her doesn't mean he doesn't love her like a sister. (He did mention in IK that Bran thought of her as his kid.)
Howl more, whine less