Author Topic: Speculation on Charles' reaction to Ariana  (Read 20564 times)

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
Re: Speculation on Charles' reaction to Ariana
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 08:29:44 am »
Not that I reacll. What book was it in?
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 08:36:05 am »
I'll have to re-read.  I'm paraphrasing though.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 08:36:31 am »
Depending on circumstances, Brother Wolf may not have to worry about it very darned much.  If Charles is based out of Aspen Creek & traveling here & there, while Samuel & Ari are basing in the Tri-Cities, how often will they meet?

I've been thinking about this, and even if they do not meet up very often, I think that the brothers are close enough that he will have deal with it whether or not they actually physically see each other ofter. Brother Wolf will have to get used to someone he instinctinvely distrusts being such a huge part of his brother's life.

Just think of how often she would be mentioned in a single phone call... Just that would force him to deal with it.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

dee

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 12:26:30 pm »
plus charles did sleep with a fae..dana...how was he able to restrain brother wolf then?  ;D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:44:53 pm by dee »

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 01:22:11 pm »
In "Cry Wolf" she refers to the Marrok's pack as psychotic, p. 86 "So are all the wolves in your pack psychotic?"  Just  before that, Bran says, "Among other thigns, Aspen Creek is a sanctuary for wolves who have problems - or who are developing them." I'm not sure if there are any such refereences in "Hunting Groudn".
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 02:35:27 pm »
That's what I was referring to, basically, yes.  So, not a good place for Ari any time soon, I do not think!

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 03:31:32 pm »
That's what I was referring to, basically, yes.  So, not a good place for Ari any time soon, I do not think!

It was? LOL  Cuz you used a really fancy phrase that doesn't seem to appear in either of the books

LOL, it was?
... the Center for Psychopathic Werewolves that is Aspen Creek.

I love that name!! LOL LOL LOL
Isn't that more or less what Anna called it?  O)

Nope, not what Anna called Bran's pack :D :D :D Though she DID wonder if they were all psychotic. :D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 03:39:40 pm »
Well, it's the way it struck me.  The capital letters make it look more formal.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 04:28:14 pm »
I'm with patty when Anna said they were all psychotic I thought the exact same thing. I thought they had said it in there too and I read the book all of last night into this morning- psychotic weres. LOL

Anyway, I am really loving Anna and Charles and as I read it - I went oh wow so that expands on that part that Samuel had to go to at Bran's. So the line ups in the story.
Given the givens I don't think Bro. Wolf has a problem right now since it has helped Sam. I also think that he may not like it, but it's not his problem right now and won't fuss over it. Now if and when Sam comes back then he will have to figure out how to deal and I think Anna would help with that to some degree and then as I think some one else said he never had a reason to try to understand fae so now Sam presents that as something for him to get used to. I also think Samuel probably knows that Charles has issues with the fae and probably wouldn't be showing her off or anything either, he would be strategic about it. Bran might be understanding but I don't see him saying "Sure come on over - it would be great!" I think Bran would have some of the weary thing going there as well. So I don't Sam moving right back to Aspen Creek. Of Course I am wondering now - would Samuel declare a fae as his mate? and how would that work out? hmmm..........
ok just finished the Hunting grounds - I don't think Charles would have the problem with the fae, but bro. wolf hates them. So I think that might help him with dealing with fae as well.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 12:57:41 pm by ironkitten »
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 09:00:15 am »
I think Samuel and Ariana will not move to Aspen Creek anytime soon. Setting aside for the moment the fact that Samuel just spent a great deal of time getting his license to practice in Washington squared away, one of the things that makes Ari and Sam so compatible is their strong bond to family. Ariana went to a lot of trouble to help rescue her grandson, Finn. Sam has Bran, Mercy (Adam and Jessie), Charles and Anna. Moving Ari and Sam to Aspen Creek would move Ari away from her only living relative. And even though Aspen Creek is a very short flight away, taking Ariana to live among a lot of unstable wolves given her past trauma would be cruel, not to mention illogical. I just don't see a move happening for this couple. Of course, I'm not Patty and if she sees it and can make it work, that's all that matters.

As for Bran's weariness, I don't think so. There is a passage in chapter 15 of SB where Mercy (as narrator) talks about how at the party Samuel explained that he was the reason Ariana needed to work on her werewolf phobia, and I'm quoting now:

Bran had smiled when Samuel said that, the smile that said the Marrok had been up to something. So he might have had something to do with [Ariana] finding her way among the wolves.
(my emphasis)

I interpret this to say that Bran might have used his "alpha magic" to help Ariana find some calm in Samuel's presence. Remember, Bran used his alpha magic to help Mary Jo in MC when she was brought back to life, though it is never stated explicitly exactly what it was that he was able to do to help her. And Bran helped Charles stay in his human form when Samuel was digging the silver bullet out of his leg in A&O. So it's clear that Bran can wield his alpha magic to help others. Maybe he used it to help tone down Samuel's dominance in Ariana's presence (like he does himself when he is in a room and no one notices him). Bran is, I think, as overjoyed as he can be--given his nature--that Samuel is alive and happy.

So I don't think Bran will have any problem with a fae in the family. No weariness about it at all. The only question mark is Brother Wolf--and he and Charles will probably just agree to disagree, as they usually do when problems like this present themselves. I suspect that eventually, Brother Wolf will accept Ariana because she makes Samuel happy.

Happy happy wolves!

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 01:02:15 pm »
that's true and Bro. Wolf doesn't have to like it. I notice also it may have been a combination of Bran and Samuel to help calm Ari down and not just Bran. Since Charles could help call on the pack magic, and we have seen Samuel do it as well with Mercy he could have done the same- though from what I read Sam and Charles can stuff their power down low enough to not frighten people, but a little extra help didn't hurt either.
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 01:07:03 pm »
It's not ordinarily used on out-pack people, though.  Dominance IS; it's not something that's ordinarily thrust on people; damping it down for oneself is a talent one either has or doesn't; Bran does, Charles does, I'm not sure about Samuel.  The "quiet" that the pack can cast to keep people from (for instance) hearing pack dominance fights, is one of the few magics that packs have and use on non-pack.  I don't know if Bran or his sons could soothe Ari; in point of fact, THAT is Anna's bailiwick, as Omega.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 01:24:15 pm »
that's true Patti L. - and Anna is good at it. Smauel though his pack is all of one person, but I think Mecy could make up for two or three pack members :)

there ya go fixed it - sorry about that. Usually I am better than that for peoples names.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:34:59 pm by ironkitten »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 01:35:16 pm »
IK, check spellings, please.  I deliberately added the L at the end, instead of being just Patti, to keep from being mixed up with Our Hostess, Patty Briggs, and changing the spelling messes that up sort of.  Plus, I can show you my birth certificate; I am legally Patti, where Patty is a nickname for Our Hostess.  I'm not as twitchy as my sister about her name, but do prefer the "official" version.  :)

I've had the chance to think about this issue some; so again, if Ari could be around an Omega - whether Anna, Ric, or a non-were Omega, like Anna was before she was force-changed - that might help, but I don't think that (for instance) moving in "next door" to Charles and Anna would work for her, not for a long time to come.  She's been digging that rut for a long time, it's going to take a similar amount of time to dig her way out of it.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »
ya I think your right on that too. Ari is gonna take a while. I still don't think I could see her moving in next door to Charles and Anna though.