Author Topic: Gail Carriger  (Read 20877 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: Gail Carriger
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 09:22:17 am »
I've been looking at these for quite a while and decided to bite the bullet and pick them up. Loved them! I only wish that I had waited longer to be closer to the release of the next book. I've never really read a lot of steampunk so this was a treat. Funny but not silly with great stories and characters.

Alexia Tarbotti reminded me a little of Amelia Peabody from the Elizabeth Peters novels. I liked that.

All I can say is that I'm glad I decided to grab them when there were 3 books because if I had finished them with book 2 I'd be a bit upset!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 10:32:07 am »
They are good fun and yeah that cliffhanger was def hard :P

If you enjoyed this I definitely recommend  The Native Star by M.K Hobson although the romance is subtle and Gail blurbed it! :D

I am looking forward to book 4 Heartless, that's out early next year.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 12:02:47 pm »
I read the first one, but haven't picked up the others yet. Not quite sure why but even though I liked Soulless, Gail Carriger did not end up on  my list of buy new books on sight authors.

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 01:41:19 pm »

If you enjoyed this I definitely recommend  The Native Star by M.K Hobson although the romance is subtle and Gail blurbed it! :D

I've had Native Star for a while now and honestly, it's a DNF for me...I just cannot get into it. I've tried a couple of times now.

I am looking forward to Heartless and I guess the fifth and last book, Timeless is it for those particular characters.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 02:13:55 pm »
Yep although I think that is going to come out the following year. I think Gail has signed up for a further 3 books.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 07:46:40 pm »
Yeah, 2012. I should have waited longer to start these!  :P
Hurog Means Dragon.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 07:02:07 am »
I read the first one, but haven't picked up the others yet. Not quite sure why but even though I liked Soulless, Gail Carriger did not end up on  my list of buy new books on sight authors.

If I hadn't picked up book 1 and 2 at the same time, I might not have bought the other either. Her style is definitely different and it took all of book 1 to get used to it, by book 2 I could enjoy it. Of course the cliffhanger at the end really helped with my decision to buy book 3 asap  LOL
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Vic

• Tinker
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 03:56:07 pm »
I just did these earlier this year in audio format.  I really enjoyed the narration for these but when I started listening, only books 1 & 2 were out so I grabbed 3 in ebook.  #3 is now out in audio and I am really looking forward to Heartless!

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 03:10:27 am »
I picked up the first three books back in January, but so far I've only read Soulless. I agree with everyone about the style of writing, it definitely takes some getting used to. And I will eventually get around to reading Changeless and Blameless.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:08 pm »
Then you'll be addicted  ;D
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien

Allannah

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 12:12:51 pm »
Looking forward to Heartless!  And there'll be a fifth one too?  Oh goody!!!

Staplegun

• Mechanic
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 09:22:53 pm »
Saw Heartless at a B&N in St. Louis. Decided against buying it until I got home. Now that I'm home, it is nowhere to be found! :( I guess I made the wrong decision. Hopefully they'll stock up on them soon!

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 01:12:35 pm »
I still haven't read books 2 or 3. (There on my TBR pile, but they keep getting pushed back.) I will get round to it, but I might have to do a re-read of Soulless first.

Anyway, Soulless has been optioned for film. Good news! It would be an interesting watch. :P

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 03:05:44 pm »
If it actually does get made into a movie, I'll probably watch. I really enjoyed the book, and the series.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 11:31:16 am »
This series would make an interesting movie! Hopefully they go through with it.