Author Topic: Marie Brennan  (Read 3665 times)

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
Marie Brennan
« on: September 29, 2017, 06:00:14 am »
I can hardly believe that someone known primarily for writing about dragons does not have a thread here already, but there it is, and now here it is.

A NATURAL HISTORY OF DRAGONS: A Memoir by Lady Trent is a charming faux memoir set in an Industrial Age of Exploration in another universe. It's not really alternate history since, as in Tamora Pierce's faux-medieval Tortall, the maps make clear that it's not our own world: the continents are entirely the wrong shape. Sociologically, however, it's upperclass Brits off exploring. The tone is very well done; I counted one who/whom error, one use of "like" which would have been "as" in the period dialect, and one anachronism ("hassle"). Otherwise it was pretty much smooth sailing for geeks like moi.

The narrator is speaking from the perspective of nine decades plus, and from a political awareness she did not possess when the events of this volume occurred. She is consequently too old to bother herself with delicate sensibility on the reader's part, and is quite a hoot. The story pulls you in quickly. There is a wonderful love story, but this is by no stretch of the imagination a romance in the sense of genre. The world-building is excellent. Anything further I said might stray into spoiler territory, so I'll leave it at that.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
Re: Marie Brennan
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 06:37:02 am »
I know I've read something about this book.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 06:50:13 am »
I'm pretty sure I've linked to giveaways offered on twitter for her books.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Janilee

• Alpha Wolf, Grrrr!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 07:09:14 am »
That may be where I've read it.

pondhawk

• Big Bad Wolf
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:24:57 am »
It was really a fun book. I intend to continue in the series.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 10:40:31 am »
She's on my list to read. Unfortunately, I've only seen her book in hardback.