Author Topic: [Mercy #5] Silver Borne Discussion  (Read 197215 times)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: [Mercy #5] Silver Borne Discussion
« Reply #510 on: April 09, 2012, 01:17:25 pm »
Getting a bit off topic for Silver Borne.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #511 on: October 27, 2012, 09:04:25 pm »
So, I was rereading the other night and thought, "Why couldn't she use Mercy's garage as a focus?"
I mean, it clearly means a lot to Mercy to own her own business and it counts as a home as far as vampires are concerned. Anyone have any ideas? Or do you think the characters just didn't think about it?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #512 on: October 27, 2012, 10:50:57 pm »
It's not portable.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #513 on: October 28, 2012, 08:44:30 am »
What about that... what kind of tool was it that Gabe grabbed for defense and Mercy went a little nuts? (maybe work-related things don't work the same way, or maybe there's some connection to Zee remaining over the things at Mercy's garage) Or the spare-parts Rabbit she used to torment Adam?  The tires she removed as needed would be bulky, but relatively portable.  (maybe that meant too much to Adam, like Gabe's sweater did to Jesse)

The ultimate cause is "Because that's not the way the story went."

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #514 on: October 28, 2012, 10:08:00 am »
I suppose the not portable idea works.  LOL

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #515 on: October 28, 2012, 11:45:50 am »
What about that... what kind of tool was it that Gabe grabbed for defense and Mercy went a little nuts? (maybe work-related things don't work the same way, or maybe there's some connection to Zee remaining over the things at Mercy's garage) Or the spare-parts Rabbit she used to torment Adam?  The tires she removed as needed would be bulky, but relatively portable.  (maybe that meant too much to Adam, like Gabe's sweater did to Jesse)

The ultimate cause is "Because that's not the way the story went."

I don't think they're that important to her, especially car parts.  The tool is expensive, not well loved/worn.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #516 on: October 28, 2012, 04:29:28 pm »
The spare-parts rabbit may not be that important to her as far as its value as a spare-parts vehicle goes.
But I would think it would have significant sentimental value due to it being her "creative revenge on Adam" vehicle.
I mean, Ari said she would have been able to use Gabriel's sweater (except it had greater value to Jesse) and I honestly can't say I've got many clothes that I'm that attached to.  Certainly not

I may wear my jeans into the ground and then cut them up and make them into other things and then use those things until they fall apart, but they aren't really significant.  They're just clothes.  When my jeans fall apart, I go buy another pair of jeans that is usually almost identical to the ones that died, and I wear those until they die.  On the other hand... a quality tool that I use to do good work?  That kind of thing has importance.  I take pride in using a good tool to do good work.  Are they irreplaceable? of course not (well, I do own a couple of irreplaceable items, but I'm not talking about those).  But they're mine. and I'm proud of what I can do with them.
If that doesn't make it the sort of thing that ought to be useful...

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #517 on: October 30, 2012, 04:27:32 pm »
Since Mercy was in a realm belonging to, and controlled by, the fairy queen, maybe Ariana just couldn't get a lock on her no matter what the focus was.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #518 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:02 pm »
Doesn't wash, sorry.  She managed it for Gabriel, who she'd never met.

Vertigo

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #519 on: November 15, 2012, 12:40:29 am »
Maybe it's a mix of emotional and physical proximity? As in, the person would need to not only have an emotional attachment but have also been physically close to the object for extended periods of time. Correct me if I'm wrong (my mind cant comprehend the order right now), but at this stage hadn't Mercy's trailer been burnt down? - the only clothing or objects she would have been both emotionally and physically attached to were already destroyed. Any clothing at Adams probably hadn't been worn enough by her.
It could be argued that the tools at Mercy's garage would have worked then, as they still fit the criteria - but they were made of metals. Ariana may not be affected by iron herself, but maybe the metal wasn't the best sort of conduit for that kind of magic.
But this leniency in the objects that can be used begs the question; why not use anything else owned by Gabriel to find him? Well, my theory is that in the act of running away from home, he has sort of emotionally abandoned any other belongings that might have otherwise held sentimental value - excluding the sweater, which he lent to Jesse.
That's about the only thing I can think of that still makes sense. Been a while since I've read silver borne, so there's a good chance im blatantly wrong.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #520 on: November 15, 2012, 01:01:29 am »
As for why not use something else of Gabriel's to find him...
Jesse had his sweater, and as soon as they figured out that wouldn't work, they figured out that she herself would.
And arguments by the adults aside, Jesse wasn't going to sit quietly and let them go without her. 

Also, Gabriel wasn't supposed to be involved with them at that point.  Whatever possessions they might have experimented with were with his mother.  And dealing with her would take a good deal of time. 

I do need to go back and re-read with considerations regarding the rules of the time flow between the faerie queen's world and the "real" world.  Mercy was only "missing" for a little while according to the time flow she was experiencing, but a month (I think?) according to the time flow of the "real world."  So if Gabriel experienced a minimum of several hours in the faerie queen's world, shouldn't he have been missing in the real world for even longer?

Even if the queen had some degree of direct control over the relationship of time flow between the two worlds, why this discrepancy? 
I have my theories, but thought I'd suggest it for discussion.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #521 on: November 15, 2012, 08:44:45 am »
Gabriel thought they had been there for a good couple of days.  The Fairy Queen can change the time flow differential to suit herself.

And he hadn't 'run away' at that point.  He was abiding by his mother's "in my house, my rules, so stay away from Mercy & the werewolves" except for the attempt to borrow a car.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #522 on: March 28, 2013, 07:30:17 pm »
(I'm not sure this is the best place for this... Mods, feel free to move it if you know of somewhere better)

I'm re-reading Cry Wolf and I got to the part where Bran's telepathy is discussed.  It was a talent that he shared with his mother.  And I started thinking again about that scene in Silver Borne where Bran says that he has an alternative theory as to why he could get some impressions back about Mercy's thoughts/emotions. 

And this is where my mind spiraled into wild speculation... and while I'm not even nearly convinced that this is a likely set of circumstances, I thought I'd set it forth to inspire fun discussions.  Somewhere, there was recently discussion of the fact that pre-Blue Jay Woman (and Leah), Bran probably wasn't celibate for however many hundreds of years he's lived. 

What if Mercy is Bran's great-great-great-great-great-however-many-greats-granddaughter?  We know that only one of Samuel's kids survived to adulthood... but we know of two of Bran's that did.  If he had another kid/kids, especially early on, it would be virtually impossible for even Bran to keep track of ALL of his descendants.
The genetics would be extremely diluted, but perhaps having the other half of her lineage being, you know, Coyote, brought out some small amount of witchblood-werewolf talent.  Which might have made it easier for Mercy to be made Pack instead of just Adam's mate.  And might be a contributing factor not to her idiosyncratic reactions to magic, as that seems to be a Walker trait, but perhaps to her ability to sense magic.  And might be a small contributing factor in the recent yellow eyes incident in Frost Burned. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #523 on: March 28, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »
Not by any means impossible.

ppbwashu

• Tinker
  • God, thank you for moving me to wine country!
« Reply #524 on: March 29, 2013, 11:57:08 am »
And that's the kind of wild speculation we LOVE to indulge in!  :-LOVE
Find what you love and do it!