Author Topic: [Mercy #5] Silver Borne Discussion  (Read 197203 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Silver Borne Discussion [Spoilers]
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 03:10:03 pm »
Didnt Bran say he had a little help with the convo? He said he had trouble getting his head round who was helping them - it was suggested the Forrest Lord but it might be the Walking stick which helped to establish the link or it could be a dun dun dun mysterious unknown person but will find out more in the next book. I also wonder if Bran's abilities will change or affect his telepathic abilities. It also looked like that Mercy and Adam shared a similar bond they seem to get phrases/words as well.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:26:12 pm by Elle »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 03:11:49 pm »
You're right, I forgot about Bran mentioning that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:26:25 pm by Elle »
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

kas913

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 03:21:54 pm »
I'm pretty sure that this will end up being something that comes up later on.  Seems like Bran had a theory but didn't want to go into it yet.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 03:31:16 pm »
What is that walking stick? It really doesn't seem like the one that was the farmers.

kas913

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 04:16:40 pm »
I think that the walking stick has devolped quite a mind of it's own!  So who knows what exactly it can now accomplish!

skipaliforus

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 11:06:24 pm »
I don't think Bran could hear her, but feel her emotions. she was irritated when he criticized Adam for not showing her how to defend herself with the pack bonds. I think he could feel her irritation, and it surprised him. Which it stated. " A pause followed, And I had the distinct impression of surprise.".

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:26:38 pm by Elle »
"Some people need a hard lesson in order to learn and grow—and some people ARE the hard lesson.” - Anne Bishop, author (black jewels series)

Jax

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:39 am »
Read it! Loved it! Now I Must Get Sleep! :D

bwlrgrl300

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 06:35:10 am »
agree.  read it and loved it, and is reading it again!

i thought it was the stick that helped bran find mercy.  he was holding it when he came out of basement at adam's.  plus when mercy woke, she was staring into the eyes of the forest lord.  maybe the the walking stick and the forest lord are connected somehow?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:26:52 pm by Elle »

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 08:18:19 am »
agree.  read it and loved it, and is reading it again!

i thought it was the stick that helped bran find mercy.  he was holding it when he came out of basement at adam's.  plus when mercy woke, she was staring into the eyes of the forest lord.  maybe the the walking stick and the forest lord are connected somehow?

Did you recognize the snippets I gave you?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:27:05 pm by Elle »
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:51 am »
Well, I still have 1.5 pages left to go (which is ridiculous, darn work), but I'm not too terribly worried about spoilers anymore.

I thought Patty's visualization of the pack and mate bonds was lovely and unique. And the visible results of Mary Jo, et al's, meddling in Adam and Mercy's bond made the damage all the more palpable-- though when Mercy messed with Daryll and Aurielle's mate bond , their reactions to it were sweet. If that makes sense.

Samuel and Ariana, I think they will make a good pair. She'll give him that deeper connection he's been missing. And the fact that they could have half-fae/half-human babies (that could be as immortal as they are) is icing on the cake. Not that there won't be bumps in their relationship along the way. It was bittersweet for me though, mostly because it signified the end of the Samuel-Mercy Trailer Pack... And I have problems with change. ;D

Hm, what else. Oh, after the bowling scene, when it was revealed that Adam's ex-wife would use silence as a weapon, the reactions he had just pulled my heartstrings for him. That woman was just no good.

I am really enjoying how Adam and Mercy are growing together. And the scene in Warren's apartment... *wink, wink* *nudge, nudge*  O)

That's all I can think of for the moment...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:27:55 pm by Elle »
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."
    ¸.·´   .·´¨¨))     Adam Hauptman, Moon Called
  ((¸¸.·´  ¸.·´ -:¦:-                                               -:¦:-

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2010, 10:31:20 am »
I was kind of intrigued how Mercy was either entirely engrossed in the whole Elphame/rescue Gabriel scenario or had actually managed after all the other drama to forget that her home had exploded and burned, so she had no other clothes she could have worn when Zee was opening the portal, she was picking burrs out of her socks and thinking she would have worn something heavier if she'd known she'd be out in that kind of weather and landscape.  She didn't own but the one set of clothes she was wearing when things blew up!  Ditto Sam, actually - except he doesn't even have that.  First he wrecked his car, then the trailer blew, so he's got squat, unless he's left anything in Aspen Creek.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:28:07 pm by Elle »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:28 am »
Favorite parts:

Loved the imagery of the pack bonds, and the idea of Adam and Mercy's "garland" all frayed and knotted together.  Very sweet to me.  Showed not that it had been put through the wringer, but rather that they cared enough to keep patching it together.  For me, that spoke of commitment and determination.  And I liked how Bran questioned Mercy about why rocks and not ornaments (to go with her garlands) and her answer was that werewolves were strong...not fragile like Christmas tree ornaments.

Loved the bit with Mercy and Adam at Warren's apartment.  Hubba-hubba.

Ben, Ben, Ben.  I just adore Ben.  He was such a git, and I've just loved watching him turn into a decent person.  Or rather, I've loved watching the decent person in him re-emerge.  And he just adores Mercy -- it's obvious! -- and I have to love him all the more for his good taste!

Loved the bit with Sam/Samuel.  Makes me want to dig out Moon Called, because there's a bit in that book -- on the way back to the Tri-Cities from Montana, and Sam's giving Adam a hard time, and Mercy slams on the breaks and gets out of the van and fusses at Samuel, and she calls him Sam.  He's all, "You called me Sam."  At the time, it didn't mean anything to me, but now I want to go back and re-read the series, looking for occasions when she called him Sam and not Samuel.  On those occasions, was Samuel being more wolfy...or more human?

I loved how Patty accomplished so much in this book, without making any of it seem really "contrived."  Like...  At the end of Bone Crossed, Mercy and Adam were mated but still living in separate households, and they didn't know when that was going to change because of the whole Sam thing.  Plus, deep down, Mercy didn't really want to give up her home...but ESPECIALLY she didn't want to be always around Adam's house, knowing that the pack mostly resented her.  And with this book, the pack problems were resolved (or at least greatly improved), and Sam's situation was improved, and the where-to-live issue was pretty much decided.  I mean, she HAS to move in with him now, right?  And yet none of it felt like a checklist:  tick, tick, tick.  It all seemed really organic in the way it played out.  I liked that.

Yay for Gabriel for standing up to his mother.  Not that I would generally applaud that kind of defiance, but he KNOWS Mercy, and he knows what the situation there is.  He's almost a man, and it was nice seeing him make decisions as a man.  And I also liked how Ariana touched Jesse and basically announced, "Oh, yeah...Gabriel loves you!" by calling her a lodestone.  

Auriele confused me.  In this book, she seemed solidly in Mercy's court.  But last time we saw Auriele (in Bone Crossed), she was NOT HAPPY about Mercy's addition to the pack.  Remember the scene in the truck when Mercy told Auriele to suck it up and deal?  Nothing more was said of that, but I kind of expected there to be ongoing issues.  So to see her so totally accepting/supporting of Mercy surprised me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:28:26 pm by Elle »
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2010, 10:50:29 am »
Ben, Ben, Ben.  I just adore Ben.  He was such a git, and I've just loved watching him turn into a decent person.  Or rather, I've loved watching the decent person in him re-emerge.  And he just adores Mercy -- it's obvious! -- and I have to love him all the more for his good taste!

Yes, I forgot Ben! Each book, he just grows on you more. Can't wait to see what is in store for him.

I loved how Patty accomplished so much in this book, without making any of it seem really "contrived."  Like...  ...  And yet none of it felt like a checklist:  tick, tick, tick.  It all seemed really organic in the way it played out.  I liked that.

Very true! A lot of issues were neatly resolved or dealt with in a natural way. It'll be interesting to see in the next book what Mercy and Adam are like once they are living together fulltime.

As for Aurielle, I think her biggest problem at the end of BC was that she can be a stick in the mud. Takes her a while to adjust to new people or things. Adam mentioned how the person she was the least fond of when she first joined the pack was Daryll. Now look at them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:28:59 pm by Elle »
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:38 am »
Nifty, good point.  I wonder if maybe Auriele perhaps feels a little more from Mercy than others through the pack bond, and realizes that what her Alpha pair has is as true and deep as what she & Darryl have?  Or maybe she found out what Mary Jo, Henry, & Paul were up to, ganging up like bullies on Mercy and decided that it was time to act like a mature and reasonable adult instead of joining them.

With regard to the uniqueness of the vision of the pack & mate bonds... not so much.  It's something you'll see in Zen gardens sometimes, but also it's very similar to the vision Shan has of Val Con's mind/spirit when he's helping Edger heal him in "I Dare" by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller.  I noticed it immediately, since the series is a favorite of mine.  The garland of the pack bonds isn't there, but there is a rock, or rather a ROCK, and ropes.  The lifemate bond is - something else.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:29:15 pm by Elle »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 11:21:21 am »
Ditto Sam, actually - except he doesn't even have that.  First he wrecked his car, then the trailer blew, so he's got squat, unless he's left anything in Aspen Creek.

I think he has a home in Aspen Creek still, it's mentioned sometime during this book. I'm pretty sure. It could've been said in BC.
Oh no! Now that's a thought, Sam moving back to Aspen Creek - since he's no longer hiding his issues from Bran. That'd break my heart.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:29:38 pm by Elle »