Author Topic: [Mercy #5] Silver Borne Discussion  (Read 201288 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Silver Borne Discussion [Spoilers]
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2010, 02:50:10 pm »
You know Liliana  I was wondering the same thing - also if Kyle wasn't interested in camping overnight especially in the midst of winter. I think I am missing the obvious but Warren had a cheeky smile :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:26:07 pm by Patti L. »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2010, 03:21:42 pm »
Inquiring minds (including mine) want to know!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2010, 03:22:49 pm »
me too! me too!
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

cathgarc

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2010, 03:53:26 pm »
Created an account just so I can join the discussion. I've been wondering the same thing ever since I finished reading the book. I kept thinking that I missed something when I was reading. I really want to know what was up with the meat and camping gear? I wonder if we will ever find out.

lilliana

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2010, 04:11:17 pm »
Who knows? It might just be one of those things that Kyle and Warren keep to themselves.  ;D

Did anyone notice that Ben seemed a bit sweet on Jesse when he gave a sly grin behind her back but was caught by Mercy?

I just have to say I fell in love with Ben in this book. I loved him for what did for Mercy in IK but I felt like we really got to know him more in this book.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:26:45 pm by Patti L. »

littlebittysami

• Tool Wrangler
  • It's all right to be...
    • Blue Horizon
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2010, 05:27:00 pm »
Oh well, it's my job to be a bit of a spoilsport, I guess.

I was disappointed with Silver Borne. To me  Samuel's storyline was a complete washout. I felt like Patty gave us a great build up and it all came to nothing. Samuel is my absolute favorite character of Patty's and I was hoping to learn so much more about him, and in my opinion, we didn't because he spent most of the book in wolf form and therefore was completely non verbal until the end. I feel like I learned more about Adam in Silver Borne than I did about Sam. I wanted a little more than that small glimpse into Samuel's relationship with Charles. I think the part when Mercy was talking to Charles on the phone about Samuel was my favorite of the book, because we got to see how much Samuel means to his brother in that little bitty piece of text. It made me tear up.

I hate to say this, but wasn't feeling Sam/Ariana's old but new relationship. Ariana left me a bit cold. I'm sure that once she's fleshed out more, I'll like her better.

I was so looking forward to this book, I could barely wait to get home on Tuesday and start reading.

While I was disappointed with Sam's storyline, there was plenty I did like in Silver Borne. I liked the stuff in the book that had to do with the Columbia Basin pack. Some people might have found it violent,  but I was happy when Mercy shot Henry in throat to prevent him from challenging Adam after the fight with Paul. I love the way Adam and Mercy's relationship is progressing. I loved Mercy's loyalty to Sam, I loved Warren and Kyle (as always) Zee was well written as usual and I really have to give Patty kudos when it comes to Jesse. I love Jesse so much, that kid has guts to spare. and yes, I did like the sex scene, if only because Patty still has a lot of restraint, so we aren't getting graphic depictions of the measurements of Adam's body parts or bodily fluids and it is still left up to our filthy imaginations. Hopefully it will stay that way.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:27:22 pm by Patti L. »
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy all her friends?

dryad

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2010, 05:58:08 pm »
You mean that he could hear Mercy? My impression was that may have been a temporary thing due to the witch's magic and the fae queen's binding. I'm curious to see what patty does with it in future books, if it lasts or was a one shot deal.

I thought that the fact that he could hear Mercy might have to do with him holding the walking stick.  It cleared the way for him to find her, and possibly made it possible for him to hear her back.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:28:03 pm by Patti L. »

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2010, 06:44:24 pm »

I was disappointed with Silver Borne. To me  Samuel's storyline was a complete washout. I felt like Patty gave us a great build up and it all came to nothing. Samuel is my absolute favorite character of Patty's and I was hoping to learn so much more about him, and in my opinion, we didn't because he spent most of the book in wolf form and therefore was completely non verbal until the end. I feel like I learned more about Adam in Silver Borne than I did about Sam. I wanted a little more than that small glimpse into Samuel's relationship with Charles. I think the part when Mercy was talking to Charles on the phone about Samuel was my favorite of the book, because we got to see how much Samuel means to his brother in that little bitty piece of text. It made me tear up.

I hate to say this, but wasn't feeling Sam/Ariana's old but new relationship. Ariana left me a bit cold. I'm sure that once she's fleshed out more, I'll like her better. 

I was so looking forward to this book, I could barely wait to get home on Tuesday and start reading.

While I was disappointed with Sam's storyline, there was plenty I did like in Silver Borne. I liked the stuff in the book that had to do with the Columbia Basin pack. Some people might have found it violent,  but I was happy when Mercy shot Henry in throat to prevent him from challenging Adam after the fight with Paul. I love the way Adam and Mercy's relationship is progressing. I loved Mercy's loyalty to Sam, I loved Warren and Kyle (as always) Zee was well written as usual and I really have to give Patty kudos when it comes to Jesse. I love Jesse so much, that kid has guts to spare. and yes, I did like the sex scene, if only because Patty still has a lot of restraint, so we aren't getting graphic depictions of the measurements of Adam's body parts or bodily fluids and it is still left up to our filthy imaginations. Hopefully it will stay that way.
I second the comment about the restraint Patty has re: sex scenes.  SO many times I find myself totally giving up on a book because the sex gets graphic.  

Regarding Ariana, I also thought her character was a little sparse and I'm not so sure about her yet, but I also felt that Sam obviously cares about her, and we only really met her at the end, so there wasn't much time for character building... so I'm guessing I'll like her more once we get to know her better.  

As for Samuel... didn't we learn a lot about him?  I liked getting to know Sam as separate from Samuel.  Sure, we didn't really get much as far as a detailed look inside Samuel's head, but I felt like we were shown a lot in the small amounts of time that Samuel did come out.  I would have liked to see a little bit more closure, though... it seemed like, "And... meet Ariana, and he's all better" and nobody seemed to approach the subject after that.  Being that it was such a huge part of the storyline, I felt like maybe there should have been some more observation of Samuel's status at the very end... but I guess the time that Mercy was missing probably covered a lot of Bran, Adam, etc. keeping tabs on him.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:29:03 pm by Patti L. »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2010, 06:58:25 pm »
We learned a fair amount about Samuel's past.  That - for instance - Bran and he were in a pack together in "the old country" with Bran as Alpha, long and long ago.  And that Samuel was a healer even then, which we didn't know; I'd somehow gotten the idea he got into doctoring when they came to this continent.  We learn several alternative names he's acquired over the centuries.  That he's carried a torch for Ari through all the intervening centuries, and the guilt of having taken part in mauling her.  That Sam the wolf is affectionate toward Mercy just as Samuel is.  That he knows how to use pack bonds without going through the modern rigmarole.  That Sam the wolf loves children at least as much as Samuel does.  There is doubtless more, but those are the first things that come to mind for me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:29:26 pm by Patti L. »

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2010, 09:07:12 pm »

I was disappointed with Silver Borne. To me Samuel's storyline was a complete washout. I felt like Patty gave us a great build up and it all came to nothing. Samuel is my absolute favorite character of Patty's and I was hoping to learn so much more about him, and in my opinion, we didn't because he spent most of the book in wolf form and therefore was completely non verbal until the end. I feel like I learned more about Adam in Silver Borne than I did about Sam. I wanted a little more than that small glimpse into Samuel's relationship with Charles. I think the part when Mercy was talking to Charles on the phone about Samuel was my favorite of the book, because we got to see how much Samuel means to his brother in that little bitty piece of text. It made me tear up.

I was happy with the scenes with Sam parts in the early part of the book, but I wasn't feeling the relationship with Ariana either.  It seemed like she came out of no where and her only purpose was to be the love interest that saves Samuel.   The end seemed really rushed.
I really loved the parts with Ben though.  And I think Paul is almost too stupid to live.  If he had managed to kill an _injured_ Adam, I  don't think that the  Marrok would ever be a problem.  Because he would have been dead before the situation ever got to Bran.    I can't conceive that Darryl  (or Warren) wouldn't have immediately challenged and killed him (and he would have been injured already by Adam, for sure).    After all, he was the one who started the precedent of challenging injured wolves.  Turnabout and all.   I liked how brave Mary Jo was, when she was redeeming herself and I like that Adam let her do it.  
I think that Auriele took Mercy's advice and sucked it up, in the last book.  Plus, I think that she and Darryl seem very loyal to Adam and wouldn't try to cause problems, even if they detested Mercy.  Because, that kind of thing would only get Adam hurt and damage the pack.  

On an unrelated note, do we really need to use spoiler tagging in a thread that is already labeled spoiler?  It is redundant and makes things really hard to read for some of us.  If people don't want to be spoiled they won't click on the thread, in the first place.

*Spoiler tags discontinued 4/4/10
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:30:38 pm by Patti L. »

Bran_FTW

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:29 pm »
Ok so here it goes. I finished the book yesterday at about 5 AM, so I had to rest a little bit before I gave my two cents. And bare with me if I miss some things, I haven't even started re-reading. O)

I wouldn't say that Samuel instantly fell for Ariana, when he saw her at the shop, or that he was IN love with her even after the whole month they spent together. To me it was more like Samuel was ashamed of how he behaved(not that he had any control over himself) when they first met, I'm not saying that it might not evolve to something more, which, it highly likely will, just saying that at that point in the book Samuel was not IN love with her.

I can't believe no one else has mentioned anything about all of Samuel's names!! I mean, those are the kind of name you would associate with Charles! makes you wonder if our "Easy-going" Sam, had once been Bran's enforcer or if he got those same while he was under the control of the witch.

Liked the book a lot, though, for the most part I rushed through it.

One las thing I'm just going by the user names, but I think I might be the only guy in the forum ;D and I gotta say that I don't mind some "intimacy" in the books I read, gotta say that what happened at Warren's(or was it Kyle's?) was a little too much for me :-[ LOL
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:31:19 pm by Patti L. »
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2010, 09:56:18 pm »
Gryphon is decidedly male, you can find a photo of him on one of the photo threads, and Lord_Raken is male.  The board average is between 6 & 7 women to one male board member signed up.  The number of posting males is much lower.  I expected Rob the bear, with his little dash of uncolored hair in his mustache to be at the signing last Tuesday.  There are half a dozen or so other regular or semi-regular posting men of various ages on Hurog.

Also, if you read back on the thread, I, in fact, did mention the several versions of Samuel's name that were referred to.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2010, 10:11:43 pm »
Morgaine0000,

We're only using spoiler tags for the first little bit of the book release to give members the opportunity to read the book. We'll untag them after that. It's not for those who jump in the thread to discuss but those check recent posts so that they're blocked.

Thanks, Elle
Hurog Means Dragon.

lilliana

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2010, 03:45:41 am »
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with everyone who thinks the ending was rushed. I just didn't get that feeling at all. There were a lot of loose ends tied up and the story felt complete at the end. I felt like a contented cat when it I was done.  :P

We learned a fair amount about Samuel's past.  That - for instance - Bran and he were in a pack together in "the old country" with Bran as Alpha, long and long ago.  And that Samuel was a healer even then, which we didn't know; I'd somehow gotten the idea he got into doctoring when they came to this continent.  We learn several alternative names he's acquired over the centuries.  That he's carried a torch for Ari through all the intervening centuries, and the guilt of having taken part in mauling her.  That Sam the wolf is affectionate toward Mercy just as Samuel is.  That he knows how to use pack bonds without going through the modern rigmarole.  That Sam the wolf loves children at least as much as Samuel does.  There is doubtless more, but those are the first things that come to mind for me.

I agree with Patti, we did learn quite a bit about Sam/Samuel. With every thing that Patti pointed out above, I feel like I know Samuel better. Meeting Sam the Wolf was the highlight of this book, imo. He is extremely intelligent and the fact that he could speak English and Welsh was quite impressive.

We may not have had as much of Charles and Samuel's relationship as some might have wanted but the glimpse we did see was tender and pure brotherly love. We may get to see more of their relationship in later books or even in the next A&O book.  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:32:02 pm by Patti L. »

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2010, 04:09:54 am »
I'm just going by the user names, but I think I might be the only guy in the forum ;D and I gotta say that I don't mind some "intimacy" in the books I read, gotta say that what happened at Warren's(or was it Kyle's?) was a little too much for me

It was just the right amount for me, but I think it's probably safe to say that Patty's not going to go all Lora Leigh or Keri Arthur on us.  ;) (Thank goodness!  That would so not be in keeping with the books to-date or the characters.)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.