Author Topic: [Mercy #5] Silver Borne Discussion  (Read 194645 times)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
Re: Silver Borne Discussion
« Reply #495 on: February 23, 2011, 11:27:59 pm »
Not necessarily the fae... I just found it suspicious that she had her husband killed and then immediately, happily turned herself in.  That doesn't make sense to me... but as I said, I don't have a criminal mindset.  I have no idea how such people's thought processes work. 

I don't think the woman would necessarily have to be of supernatural origins, either.  Just a scapegoat.  (We know that both the fae and the vampires have some ability to compel others, especially unprotected mortal humans)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #496 on: February 23, 2011, 11:31:55 pm »
Oh, you mean like the thralls of the fairy queen from Silver Borne?  That's possible, all right.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #497 on: February 23, 2011, 11:34:53 pm »
Or like the gheas (not sure I spelled that right) placed on Anna in HG, the faerie goblet from IK, or vampire compulsion.  There are many options. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #498 on: February 23, 2011, 11:40:34 pm »
Usually spelled "Geas", and the "Spell Check" functions hate it.
Yes, the goblet could sure do that.

As could the other options you've suggested.

Some people are stupid enough to feel that "it's worth it" to get that kind of revenge then spend absurd amounts of time in the h*ll holes that are prisons afterward.

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #499 on: February 24, 2011, 03:30:14 am »

On a different topic...
When Mercy takes the book to hide at Kyle's, he mentions a woman who took out a kill-for-hire contract on her husband.  "She turned herself in that afternoon.  Seemed pretty happy to do so."  Now, I admit that I have NO insight into the mind of the type of person who would take out a contract on a person... but this seemed really strange to me.  Suspicious, what with the magical community running about trying to keep suspicion off themselves and frame others for their dirty work...
Did anybody else find this statement odd?

Yes, but still within the range for hostile divorces. That is a brutal process which seems to drive the participants slightly or completely bonkers at times, and allthough this sounds completely insane to us not engaged in a conflict like that I do not think it necessarily signifies anything more than that divorce being extremely hostile and the insanity of that woman.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:49:40 am by Varg »

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #500 on: February 24, 2011, 05:44:04 pm »
It's no crazier than the nutjobs who kill their spouses and children because they lose their job or something like that. Not that I understand that one either, or care to.
Anyway, to keep from veering off topic, I agree with Varg.  The woman was probably a little nuts anyway.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #501 on: February 24, 2011, 07:07:03 pm »
LOL, yes, probably a nutjob.
It just tripped my "PAY ATTENTION" switch, because I thought it was an odd detail to mention, even if it is just a case of a crazy woman. 

Varg

• Pack Member
  • the fluffy vortex got me! There is no escape...
« Reply #502 on: February 25, 2011, 05:21:15 am »
I actually just read is as an example of how crazy divorces get and that it can be dangerous to the participants.
You are a better conspiracy theorist than me Kyria ;)

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
-Leo Tolstoy

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #503 on: February 25, 2011, 07:20:00 am »
I agree with you, Varg. Some people just don't get over tough divorces. Look at the flash back Adam had of just after his. He may be a were, but not all of his feelings are wolf, everybody feels pain and loss, you just should't be as extreame as to take out a hit order.
Howl more, whine less

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
Re: [Mercy #5] Silver Borne Discussion
« Reply #504 on: March 10, 2012, 09:35:00 pm »
I just copied this set of questions from the "Random" thread, because (and I'll need to look back in this thread to see,) I don't think they've been answered, or even guessed about. *I'm wrong; most if not all these things are speculated on earlier in the thread.

This might give some fun to those who haven't read "Fair Game" yet, and are going squirrely with not looking at spoilers discussion.

Why didn't Bran & Mercy look at her pack bond to Samuel?  Why didn't Samuel & Ari try to use that to find her while she was Underhill? *this was speculated on, no conclusions.

What did Sylvia say about Mercy giving herself up to get Gabriel out?  Was it "he wouldn't have been there if not for her"?  Which to me is specious; if he'd gotten taken hostage at a bank robbery, would it have been the fault of his boss at whatever other business he might have been working at for sending him to the bank? *Mentioned, but no conclusions.  I'd like to see this addressed in a future book, if it fits in the action logically.

Was part of Samuel's depression because of what happened between him and Ari when they first met?  Is that part of why finding her again did such a complete turn around for him? *speculated on, no conclusions.  Patty has said she'll probably do a short story about Sam & Ari; maybe we'll get some information then.

Was the reason that - excuse me, was ONE of the reasons that - Adam was so mild over her, AND that she made some dumb decisions in Bone Crossed because for Mercy she was still doing early emotional reaction to Tim's treatment of her, and what she had to do to him?  Was Adam not only taking that into account, but calling back to earlier interactions with people who had been tortured and traumatized?  Remember, he's roughly as old as Walter from "Cry Wolf" and doubtless saw Very Bad Things in his time in Viet Nam.  And the years since.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:10:26 am by Patti L. »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #505 on: April 08, 2012, 08:17:01 am »
I was reading some stuff about religious beliefs yesterday, and the "crazy woman gets divorced, has husband murdered, and turns herself in" question suddenly took on a new spin.  She might have - by that point - been angry & frustrated enough to pay to have him killed, but be religious enough to believe that "thou shalt not kill" has clearly been violated by her, so she resigned herself to the horrible things in life & after that she's sentenced to, as what she deserves, but she got rid of him and she's happy about that.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #506 on: April 09, 2012, 08:43:50 am »
See, that's the problem that I have.  I don't see how that mindset is in any way reasonable.  Which, you'll notice, is entirely different from logical.  What part of "Eternal suffering" makes you think that killing your ex-husband is a good trade-off for that?

..but then again, I'd never make a good criminal. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #507 on: April 09, 2012, 08:56:41 am »
It's one of the bits of religions that I don't get/was trained to despise. 

Presumably, she thinks he's enough of a . . . son of an unwed mother dog . . . that she figures she's hastened him to his eternal torment too, so it's a matter of balance.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #508 on: April 09, 2012, 09:11:29 am »
...If you truly believe that the person is digging themselves into eternal damnation, then wouldn't the greater justice be to let them keep digging until their eventual demise, while you live your life as well as you can so that you get your eternal reward?  Eternity is an awful long time. 

But that's just my perspective, and there's a lot of religious nut-jobs out there.  Who knows how their minds work?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #509 on: April 09, 2012, 09:18:25 am »
Part of the idea (as I understand it) would be to hasten their torment, and part "don't let it happen to someone else he might marry/otherwise treat badly", and you have to remember - it's an emotional response, not a reasoned one.