Author Topic: [Mercy #5] Silver Borne Discussion  (Read 201207 times)

SlashZaku

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Silver Borne Discussion
« Reply #480 on: February 18, 2011, 02:06:11 am »
Just finished it not even 5 minutes ago.

Question about the whole Ari/Sam/Bran bit mentioned: Is this the story that was touched on in the A&O book 'Cry Wolf' (I think it was the one) that talks about Bran and Sam being Berserkers (didn't read through the rest of the topic so forgive me if it was asked/mentioned)?  I know Bran killed his mother (she was a Witch and Ari's father went to a Witch) and it mentions that when Ari's father couldn't reach his Hounds, Wolves came instead.  Ari also said that Sam disappeared after that and I believe it was mentioned in Cry Wolf as well that him and Bran hid away for some time (in a forest) before they were able to get back in control.

I might be off base with that but I'm thinking of going back through 'Cry Wolf' to look a bit more into that.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #481 on: February 18, 2011, 08:05:09 am »
We're not entirely sure.  It may have happened very shortly after Bran's breaking free of his mother, or it may have been shortly after he came out of his berserker funk, or it could have been a century later, roughly.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #482 on: February 18, 2011, 01:32:16 pm »
It was only Bran who was mentioned to be the berserker. Sam was the one who brought him out of it.

SlashZaku

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #483 on: February 18, 2011, 05:33:43 pm »
Found some bits:

"A Witch had forced the Change on her son and grandson--so she could play with them.  For years, she had them as pets, to do her bidding.  It made her the most dangerous Witch in the British Isles.  And then her son broke free.

He killed his mother and ate her.  Then he killed every living thing within miles.  He found a home in the dark heart of the great Welsh forests--and for years, nothing lived within a day's walk of his den.

Then one day, or so he'd heard, Bran had walked out of the wilderness, his son at his side.  No more berserker, only a harper, a teller of tales, and lone wolf.

The next time he saw Samuel, he'd have to tell his brother that his Anna defeated the Marrok at his worst with a couple of songs instead of the years it had taken Samuel."

So Sam never went down that road of the Berserker as Zealith mentioned.  Still curious about the connection though between the 3.  We know Sam killed the Hounds and Bran killed Ari's father but we also know Sam was one of the Wolves that was used/summoned by her father (Bran could have come at a later time to find his son?).  Ari's father went to a Witch but when he summoned his Hounds, he got Wolfs instead so depending on how you look at it, the Wolves could have belonged to the Witch or just been nearby in general.  But if they belonged to the Witch, I don't think she would have been happy with someone else commanding her own so that would have been an issue.

I guess Patty hasn't mentioned anything about visiting that specific frame of time in a story, has she.  Seems an interesting point in time.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2011, 07:17:45 pm »
I suspect the incident happened well after Bran ate his mother. Sam mentioned belonging to a pack, and it was implied that they were alone under his mothers.

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »
On the other hand, if they managed to get caught up and compelled by witchcraft AGAIN, you would think that the second time would also have been mentioned in Cry Wolf.  It seems that witchcraft lets the Berserker out... so you would think that there would be another story for the second time Bran went Berserker.  So I'm in favor of Ari's dad's witch being Bran's mom. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2011, 08:05:48 pm »
I've considered the possibility that it was that incident that broke Bran free of her, to be honest.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2011, 09:02:27 pm »
On the other hand, if they managed to get caught up and compelled by witchcraft AGAIN, you would think that the second time would also have been mentioned in Cry Wolf.  It seems that witchcraft lets the Berserker out... so you would think that there would be another story for the second time Bran went Berserker.  So I'm in favor of Ari's dad's witch being Bran's mom.

I was under the impression that Cry Wolf was the second time that Bran went Berserker. Also, I had the impression it wasn't witchcraft per se that brought out the Berserker but the tie between Bran and the witch AKA his mother and how tightly he was bound, with no free will. When that was broekn, something snapped inside him and he went crazy.

As for Bran's mother being the witch for Ari's father, I haven't seen anything in the books to support that.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2011, 09:12:26 pm »
Nope, there's nothing to support it, but I don't think there's anything that rules it out either.  Nicely ambiguous! :D

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2011, 09:27:15 pm »
Like I said, that's just the way I see it.  Bran was being controlled via witchcraft - he was not in control.  Then he broke free... We don't know what happened to Bran immediately after that.  If we knew where he went off to, we would know for sure (did he go live off in the forest where he could kill everyone he met until Sam was done healing Ari and left her, went back to Bran and got to work on taming the beast?)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #490 on: February 19, 2011, 01:44:22 pm »
My theory was that Bran wasn't fully controlled, so he didn't go Berzerk, and was able to kill Ari's father. Then he and the rest of the pack left because it was obvious they would do more harm than good staying, but Sam stayed because he already had some skills with healing and could do some good.

little gray wolf

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #491 on: February 19, 2011, 05:55:34 pm »
that and he loved Ari
Howl more, whine less

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #492 on: February 21, 2011, 06:43:02 pm »
I'm leaning towards the two incidents being separate, although I go back and forth.  Two main reasons:
1. Samuel said in SB that they (the werewolves) attacked because they had no choice, but Bran was stronger and he resisted.  So it sounds like he wasn't controlled like the others were, and killed Ari's father to stop him from controlling the others, including Samuel.  If Bran's mother was the most feared witch in the British Isles, she had probably used Bran and Samuel to kill people before. I don't know that Ari being in danger would have been enough for him to break free of the spell; as far as we know, he didn't know her.
2. In Cry Wolf, Bran tells Charles that he (Charles) is the only one he (Bran) knows he won't kill.  Charles wonders if Bran's mother had ordered him to kill Samuel, and he fought free of the spell rather than kill his own son. This is admittedly speculation on Charles' part, since he wasn't born yet, but it makes sense.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #493 on: February 23, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »
See I think it was just speculation on Charles' part, and I got the impression that Bran attacked, too, but he was starting to break free anyway. 

From what I've gathered other places, it just seems unlikely that a witch could control a whole Pack without controlling the Alpha, too. 
In Cry Wolf, Samuel says, "A witch would never have been capable of holding a werewolf for days - kill her, yes. But not torture."  and Bran says, "I know of one who could."
I know that we don't know for how long Ari's father's witch controlled the wolves, but it still seems to me that some mention of another witch who controlled wolves - AFTER Bran's mother - would have been made in Cry Wolf, even if the witch didn't have complete control over Bran himself, because she seems to have at least had control over Samuel.  That maybe Sam would have said, "capable of holding a werewolf like the Moor's mate" or Brand might have said "I knew of a couple who could. 

I know, it's not how the rest of you see it, but to me it seems a significant discrepancy.  Yes I recognize that Cry Wolf was written long before SB, and Patty probably hadn't figured out Ari's background yet.  So if we ever find out for sure that it's a different witch, I'll have to come up with some justification.  But nothing totally excludes either option at this point, and this is the side that makes more sense to me. 

On a different topic...
When Mercy takes the book to hide at Kyle's, he mentions a woman who took out a kill-for-hire contract on her husband.  "She turned herself in that afternoon.  Seemed pretty happy to do so."  Now, I admit that I have NO insight into the mind of the type of person who would take out a contract on a person... but this seemed really strange to me.  Suspicious, what with the magical community running about trying to keep suspicion off themselves and frame others for their dirty work...
Did anybody else find this statement odd?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #494 on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »
<snip>
On a different topic...
When Mercy takes the book to hide at Kyle's, he mentions a woman who took out a kill-for-hire contract on her husband.  "She turned herself in that afternoon.  Seemed pretty happy to do so."  Now, I admit that I have NO insight into the mind of the type of person who would take out a contract on a person... but this seemed really strange to me.  Suspicious, what with the magical community running about trying to keep suspicion off themselves and frame others for their dirty work...
Did anybody else find this statement odd?

Um... fae in behind iron bars... Iron kissed fae very rare... don't see it having anything to do with the widow/ex-wife, myself.