Author Topic: [Mercy #5] Silver Borne Discussion  (Read 194278 times)

Nifty

• Mechanic
Re: Silver Borne Discussion [Spoilers]
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:48 am »
I don't think Sam would leave the Tri-Cities.  Not to return to Aspen Creek, anyway.  Yeah, Bran is his Da and Charles is his brother...but Mercy is family, too.  And I think he likes a lot of aspects of his life with/near Mercy...and even Adam.  (Like the hospital.)

And also, because of his dominance, he doesn't have a lot of places to go.  If he ran into other wolves, it could possibly go badly.  But he's accepted in the Tri-Cities by Adam and his pack.  In a way, they sort of accept him as part of them.  They trust him, rely on him.  They're a good fit for him as an extremely dominant lone-wolf.  And even though he knows 1) Mercy can take care of herself and 2) Adam can take care of Mercy and 3) the pack can help take care of Mercy and 4) Bran can come in and help take care of Mercy, the fact remains that Mercy needs a lot of strong allies on her side!!  Sam might as well stay where he can be useful.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:29:58 pm by Elle »
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Letitia

• Mechanic
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2010, 11:37:43 am »
 LOL Haha, true. Poor Mercy. All those people in her corner, helping her out messes.  :P
..·´¨¨)) -:¦:-        "MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."
    ¸.·´   .·´¨¨))     Adam Hauptman, Moon Called
  ((¸¸.·´  ¸.·´ -:¦:-                                               -:¦:-

wolfluver121

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 11:55:17 am »
So, I bought "Silver Borne" yesterday and just finished it today. I got say..I'm slightly disappointed. *hides from fans*

It's just, it felt kind of rushed to me. Especially towards the end. And the whole "Silver and Samuel" kind of threw me.

Spoiler Alert!!!!!!

I mean, it was all kind of sudden, I guess. He's had this 15 year(or so) thing for Mercy. And that's just instantly gone, and then Silver appears. I guess I feel sort of mother hen-ish. We barely know this Silver, and suddenly Samuel's in love with her? I know that they met in the WAY past, but I guess I feel like we really didn't get any foreshadowing at all about Silver, or Samuel's connection with her.

I mean, when he was wanting to kill himself, did he know she was alive? Was he in love with her then? Are they a mated pair? I'm very confused on the whole situation.

I read the page, and was like 'what?' 'oh...so he's over mercy now and likes this silver girl?'  I'm a Samuel/Sam fan, but I'm so confused!  ???

I liked how all the other characters got more personality in this book. You really got to see pack dynamic, and liked Bran's appearance as well. But the end of the book just really threw me for a loop.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:30:14 pm by Elle »

bwlrgrl300

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 11:57:16 am »
agree.  read it and loved it, and is reading it again!

i thought it was the stick that helped bran find mercy.  he was holding it when he came out of basement at adam's.  plus when mercy woke, she was staring into the eyes of the forest lord.  maybe the the walking stick and the forest lord are connected somehow?

Did you recognize the snippets I gave you?

absolutely!!!  and thank you for that!  it kept me sane while waiting!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:30:28 pm by Elle »

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 12:08:14 pm »
Remember to use the spoiler tags everyone. We want everyone to enjoy the book and we don't want to accidentally spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Code: [Select]
[spoiler]Your spoiler content goes here.[/spoiler]
Thanks, Elle

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:11:18 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2010, 12:12:13 pm »
I'm not sure that I'd say Sam is in love with Ariana.  It's obvious, though, that they have history...that goes way, way back to Sam's early days.  And I think he feels very protective of her, in the way that strong men often do of women in general, but also the women they know and care about.  For me, it wasn't that a switch flipped and suddenly he's in love with Ariana.  But rather, she's back in his life, and her sudden reappearance -- and the context of their history together, whatever those details are -- is enough to re-interest him in life.  I definitely get the sense that they are to be a mated pair, but I think their relationship has a long way to go, just as Mercy and Adam's did.

I do agree that there was no foreshadowing about Ariana before now, but that's not an automatic "miss" for me.  I'm willing to just see how things develop there.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:30:45 pm by Elle »
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2010, 12:13:53 pm »
Mike, the fights were awsome, and trust coyote to gun to a fist fight was great good take off of old adage
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:30:55 pm by Elle »
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

kas913

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2010, 12:15:23 pm »

Oh no! Now that's a thought, Sam moving back to Aspen Creek - since he's no longer hiding his issues from Bran. That'd break my heart.

I really don't see Sam moving back, at least not yet.  Especially considering that Ari still has issues with werewolves, especially more than one of them at a time!!!  Can't imagine them moving to Aspen Creek where she'd be surrounded by them
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:49:26 pm by Elle »

wolfluver121

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2010, 12:33:23 pm »
I didn't say that it was a 'miss' for me. I just got really confused by the whole relationship. I'm re-reading right now, to try and grasp it. But I was just very surprised by the appearance of Silver and then her connection to Samuel.

Speaking of which, there's a point earlier in the book when SAM is sitting in the car, and Mercy is going into the bookstore, where Phin's Grandmother 'Silver' is at. It's noted that Samuel looks like he's hiding, and Mercy questions him about it and she guesses that as a 'yes' that he's hiding from the fae (Silver) inside the bookstore. So, if he knew then... that Silver was inside the bookstore, why didn't Samuel(the man) come to the forefront? Wouldn't he have been able to smell her, with all her fae-ness? Just a thought that popped in my head.

Re-reading the confusing parts, for me, and understanding it a lot better! I think it was just a lot of new information within a few pages, and it had me reeling.

Hope I did the spoiler code thingy right. :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:31:09 pm by Elle »

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:08 pm »
Speaking of which, there's a point earlier in the book when SAM is sitting in the car, and Mercy is going into the bookstore, where Phin's Grandmother 'Silver' is at. It's noted that Samuel looks like he's hiding, and Mercy questions him about it and she guesses that as a 'yes' that he's hiding from the fae (Silver) inside the bookstore. So, if he knew then... that Silver was inside the bookstore, why didn't Samuel(the man) come to the forefront? Wouldn't he have been able to smell her, with all her fae-ness? Just a thought that popped in my head.

Hope I did the spoiler code thingy right. :D

I was wondering about that too. I missed it on the first read but thought of it on the second one.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:31:20 pm by Elle »
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2010, 01:54:00 pm »
There were a couple of spots where the timing seemed to get away, regarding Samuel both Changing and changing, I thought.  I mean he was supposedly getting into the clothes in the back of Adam's SUV on the way to meet Zee & Silver at Mercy's garage, yet he stays in the vehicle when Mercy & Jesse get out, and only comes in later.

Also, it's possible that part of what has been sending Samuel into his suicidal funk was that he'd guessed some at least of what Silver felt about werewolves & canids in general, why he left when he'd doctored her up to the point it was clear she'd live.  So he may have thought of her as an impossible unrequited love.  Then the women he turned to as alternatives to him died, and their children died, and he knew she could still be living but he couldn't go near her, and Mercy was out of his reach.  And then she reappeared.  When he was down and vulnerable, and had not just chinks in his armor, but the sodding welds had failed.  And he discovered it might not be so unrequited after all.  Neither werewolves nor fae change easily; she could have been carrying a torch for him all this time too, with perhaps even less belief that she would meet him again, given how old werewolves go crazy and die.  That was a suffering long time ago.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:31:36 pm by Elle »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

tess_tarr

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2010, 02:02:42 pm »
I just got done with Silver Borne and I loved it!!! I can't wait for the next on and hope there are many more to come!!!

Sammibalthecannibal

• Tool Wrangler
    • sjcollier.com
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 02:39:31 pm »
I think this has been my favorite book mostly because of looking back and seeing how ever one has developed. Also, it had a lot more than normal of my two favorite(other than Mercy)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2010, 02:41:26 pm »
Oh no! Now that's a thought, Sam moving back to Aspen Creek - since he's no longer hiding his issues from Bran. That'd break my heart.
I really don't see Sam moving back, at least not yet.  Especially considering that Ari still has issues with werewolves, especially more than one of them at a time!!!  Can't imagine them moving to Aspen Creek where she'd be surrounded by them

And especially in Aspen Creek where some of the wolves are the most difficult.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:32:12 pm by Elle »

Lord_Raken

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 03:36:35 pm »
So, I bought "Silver Borne" yesterday and just finished it today. I got say..I'm slightly disappointed. *hides from fans*

It's just, it felt kind of rushed to me. Especially towards the end. And the whole "Silver and Samuel" kind of threw me.

For me I wouldn't used the word "disappointed." I loved the book from start to finish.

What I think we need to do is understand something. These book have deadlines and short ones at that (what is it 6 months per book?). In light of this, I think that its remarkable that she can fit so much into these books and make it all make reasonable sense. Also, and I might be assuming here, but I think Mrs. Briggs writing style understands that life tends to dump on you all at once. Many things suddenly jump up and one has to handle them all. I think Mrs. Briggs does an amazing job of weaving these multitudinous threads together.

That being said I understand your position. The ending did feel a little rushed and sometimes things feel a little smooched together. I don't want to be pretentious but I suspect (humbly) that if given a little more time Mrs Briggs would have the opportunity to relax the compact nature of the plot and allow the interesting, touching, awesome, or *wink*wink* romantic moments to breath before moving on to the next fascinating development.

Now that I'm done with my analysis (for now) I can now GUSH a bit.

I loved SB! It was interesting and the characters were absolutely fascinating. Seriously I was more interested in the character relationships than I was the central conflict. In fact..... I think this conflict was less central to the story than some previous conflicts. Wait... no that's not right. It provided the structure for the overarching conflict  but within this conflict the smaller stories are what really captured my attention (maybe because this comes in the shadow of Bone Crossed and THAT conflict was very personal and very central). Mercy and Adam, Ben (did anyone else notice that Ben was paying quite a bit of attention to Jessie? probably just my imagination) Sam/Smauel.

But any way. I feel as this is a new beginning for the series. Many of the old conflicts have been (mostly) resolved. Mercy and Adam are solidly together, Samuel's situation has been handled, the vampires still don't like mercy but have dropped any real contentions (I missed Stefan in this book :(), and now she has helped the Fae once again. The slate is clean for a whole new set of conflicts and trouble to find mercy and her friends.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else notice that the fae called Mercy HALF human and that the same rules in that "magic place" didn't apply to her? There are a whole bunch of interesting tidbits in those pages... Now we must wait to what they become.  bOuNcY
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:33:01 pm by Elle »