Author Topic: Errors or discrepancies in the books  (Read 73715 times)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
Re: Errors or discrepancies in the books
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2008, 08:48:03 pm »
So, if Sam was at the Round table, what name (back to topic, I really was trying!) would it have been under, and what tales of his might we have heard?  And wouldn't the scholars drive him nuts too!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2008, 08:51:20 pm »
In those days, the population was a lot smaller and many people didn't have surnames. If they did, it was based on their occupation eg farmer, their father's name eg Robert's son or their location eg well. So, it's all speculation until Patty gives us more clues.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2008, 08:54:08 pm »
Yes, and he might not have gone by 'Samuel' in those days either.  Just like Asil wasn't always Asil.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2008, 09:44:22 pm »
Why would Samuel change his name and Bran wouldn't?

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2008, 09:53:11 pm »
Bran could ahve changed his name for all we know. And I doubt Sam tagged along behind Bran their whole life, so he (Sam) may have had some other experience that made him want to change it.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2008, 10:22:08 pm »
Or it could have been something seriously Welsh originally, and he's changed it with the times to something more mainstream.

Observant

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2009, 02:38:06 pm »
In Bone Crossed it mentioned Charles being Bran's 1st born and the oldest.  But in Alpha and Omega I thought it clearly said that Samuel was WAY older than Charles, and almost as old as Bran.  Did anyone else see this?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2009, 03:21:24 pm »
Samuel is def way older than Charles. In Alpha and Omega Bran's mother who is also Sam's grandmother changed Bran and he killed his family and Sam was the only survivor by becoming a werewolf.
Both Bran and Sam are over 1000 years old and in a recent signning Patty hinted that they may even predate Christianity. Charles is only around 200 years old and that was a mistake in Bone Crossed. Hope that helps and welcome to Hurog! ;D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Observant

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2009, 03:26:08 pm »
Thank you for the reply and clarification.  I thought it must have been a mistake in Bone Crossed.  Thanks for the info. on Bran and Samuel.  I didn't know that Bran killed his whole family besides Sam.  I must have missed that somehow.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: when did Mercy learn Welsh?
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2009, 04:41:42 pm »
In Bone Crossed, p272 the oakman speaks to Mercy in 'English-accented Welsh' and she doesn't know how he knows that she speaks Welsh.

In Iron Kissed p54 Samuel and Tim are speaking in Welsh (and Tolkein's Elven) and Mercy is thinking 'I may have grown up in a werewolf pack led by a Welshman, but English was the common language and neither the Marrok nor Samuel used Welsh often enough to give me an ear for it.'

There is essentially no time between Iron Kissed and Bone Crossed, so when did Mercy learn Welsh?

Maybe it was a typo. Mercy knows German, so maybe the oakman was supposed to be speaking in German.

She probably does know a little of it, though I agree. It supprised me too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:41:46 am by Elle »

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2009, 04:46:52 pm »
Plus welsh is a really hard language to learn. at least thats what all the learn to speak welsh now courses say.

thanks Charmed

brimaru

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2009, 01:33:19 am »
I am not so sure about it. Because very early in BC Charles is mentioned, but not as second son. He is mentioned as the oldest son of Bran. I don´t know which page, the book is at home and I am at work !

Sorry, if there are some faults, but English is my second language and I dom´t use it very often.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2009, 07:03:23 am »
Well if Bran, Sam and Charles spoke enough of it around Mercy when she was growing up she would have caught on to the basics. Kids learn languages amazingly quickly.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2009, 09:07:32 am »
Originally posted by roslynholcomb
Okay, maybe I got something twisted, but I'm wondering about the vampires not knowing that Mercy is a walker. I distinctly recall in both Moon Called and another book her mentioning that she was unable to pay the vampires their extortion money like Zee did, and therefore has to repair their vehicles for them. (Apparently all magical beings in the area have to pay the vampires, except the werewolves.) If I recall, Stefan helped her make those negotiations. Yet now in Bone Crossed they apparently don't know she was a walker, and Marsilia is angry that Stefan kept that information from her. So what did they think she was?

Mod note: Splitting this post and duplicating it at the Ask Patty section- methinks she can answer this :D
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

gingkogirl

• Tinker
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2009, 02:23:14 pm »
Perhaps Mercy had to "pay" (read fix cars) because she worked with Zee for years and was aware of the vamps. Perhaps it was because the shop had once been owned by a fae and the payment was expected. Maybe they assumed she was fae.
Remember, until Moon Called, Stefan is the only vamp Mercy has actually met. Maybe Stefan set the payment
up to keep all the other vamps from noticing Mercy. He was protecting her from the beginning.