Author Topic: Errors or discrepancies in the books  (Read 71347 times)

Nifty

• Mechanic
Re: Errors or discrepancies in the books
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 09:03:17 am »
Cornick is a traditionally Welsh last name.  It is probably a surname adopted by Bran at some point in the past when it became convenient and a surname commonplace. 

In some areas in earlier eras, a surname was used like an adjective, to distinguish two people of the same name -- or to give some background as to where they came from or what they did.

John who was a black smith would become John Smith while a John who was a farmer would be John Farmer.  So when you spoke of John Farmer you knew who someone was talking about.  A lot of names came to us that way:  Smith, Wright, Chandler, Fisher, Miller.  Sometimes the name came from the place a person came from Satterthwaithe, von Lichtenberg, von Hohenheim  or the clan a person belonged to MacDonald.  The Germanic/Baltic/Russian people often took the name of their parent.  Elizaveta Arkadyevna would translate in English to Elizabeth Arkady's daughter.   It is in this fashion that Samuel is Samuel Marrokson -- Uncle Mike is acknowledging that Samuel has power and knowledge as the Marrok's son.   It is, deliberately, a little hard to tell if Uncle Mike is showing respect or distain.   

Is it Samuel Cornick? I read where Uncle Mike called him Samuel Marrokson or was that only because he was angry and trying to make a point to Sam?

Maybe this speaks to my theory that Bran is not just called the Marrok in honor of King Arthur's knight, but that he really IS Sir Marrok.  You know...the original one.  So Samuel Marrokson would make sense.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:25:15 pm by Sergeant of Squirrels »
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

red8771

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2008, 08:53:56 pm »
in the book Moon Called on page 209 (i dont know if its just my copy) in the forth or fifth paragraph when mercy was thinking about how adam must know about Dr. Wallace, it says 'I suppose it only made sence that he would know about Dr. Warren's troubles.' Shouldn't it be Dr. Wallace?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2008, 08:56:38 pm »
And "Sense" rather than Sence?  or was that your typo?  It probably ought to be.  Hi, Red8771!  I'm Patti L, nosy person.
Ya tries & ya tries, but even with keen eyed proof readers, errors creep in.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

red8771

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2008, 09:00:29 pm »
yea i made the typo with sense.  :-[ but it does say dr warren.

Sirikith

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Adam's Color
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2008, 08:13:25 pm »
If there´s a re: where do I find the original topic? the search couldn´t, maybe I used the wrong keywords.
So Patty inverted Adam´s colours since the first novel? that´s what I thought, too. Just couldn´t look it up because I have lent Moon Called to a freind.

I usually have auto-correct and tend to almost fall in trance and dig myself completely into the story when reading undisturbed, so I dont´t find many mistakes.
(and no, I don´t need weed for that)
the only botches which jumped to my eyes were some errors when Zee´s speaking German, since that´s my native language and Patty got some similar words a little wrong
Happiness is German engineering, Italian cooking and Belgian chocolate.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2008, 08:47:21 pm »
Hi Sirikith, the original topic is in the Ask Patty section.

You can find the question and answer here.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Sirikith

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2008, 03:44:51 am »
Thanks
Happiness is German engineering, Italian cooking and Belgian chocolate.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2008, 05:38:52 pm »
After reading Cry Wolf for the third time, I started on Moon Called again. I noticed something, on page 219 when Mercy called Bran, towards the end of the conversation he told her what happened in Chicago. What he says on the phone is not what happened (according to Cry Wolf/On The Prowl anyway) with Charles.

What he said exactly was, in Moon Called on Pg 219.
He said that Leo had been selling newly turned Wolfs to support his lifestyle, the rest of the pack wasn't aware of it except the 2nd who was out of town, so Charles could not find him to question. He also said the pack was going to be broken up just to be sure.

Now, my thoughts are this, is this a simple continuity discrepancy (Understandable as Moon Called was written before Cry Wolf/On The Prowl) or was Bran lying to Mercy for some reason?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2008, 07:37:03 pm »
Or both?
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2008, 08:24:51 pm »
I figured it was a discrepancy, but it was one of few, so I let it go in hopes that if I didn't mention it our hostess would write more.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008, 07:28:38 am »
After reading Cry Wolf for the third time, I started on Moon Called again. I noticed something, on page 219 when Mercy called Bran, towards the end of the conversation he told her what happened in Chicago. What he says on the phone is not what happened (according to Cry Wolf/On The Prowl anyway) with Charles.

What he said exactly was, in Moon Called on Pg 219.
He said that Leo had been selling newly turned Wolfs to support his lifestyle, the rest of the pack wasn't aware of it except the 2nd who was out of town, so Charles could not find him to question. He also said the pack was going to be broken up just to be sure.

Now, my thoughts are this, is this a simple continuity discrepancy (Understandable as Moon Called was written before Cry Wolf/On The Prowl) or was Bran lying to Mercy for some reason?

that's been bothering me also.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008, 07:36:39 pm »
I wondered about it too but if Patty had stuck to the same story as Bran told Mercy then she probably would have more difficulty keeping A&O as a short story.
That was what I thought, anyway ;D.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2008, 08:25:20 pm »
That is what I am assuming as well, but suppose Bran was lying to Mercy for some reason, why would he do that in this case? Doesn't want her seeking revenge when Chicago pack is still alive (unlikely as Samuel would probably tell her) does not want her to know about Anna. Also possible because Samuel has not mentioned her yet but probably would have amused Mercy with tales about how Charles found his mate. Are Omegas rare enough that having one as your ace in the hole would mean not telling Mercy?

On second thought I will go with this is just a discrepancy because the Mercy books were written before A&O. I just like speculating, it fills the time and makes me forget that the next A&O won't be out for another 8 months.  :'(

Anyone else have any wacky theories they would like to share to explain this in a non continuity slip way?  ;D

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

OTenshi

• Mechanic
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2008, 08:45:47 pm »
Angry cows slipped through the Briggs' bedroom window one day while the family was out and rewrote that part of the story.
I think I'm allergic to seriousness.  I seem to break out in hives every time I try it out.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2008, 09:01:19 pm »
I knew those cows were up to something! Its the eyes, you can't trust something with a blank look on its face all the time.