Author Topic: Errors or discrepancies in the books  (Read 71329 times)

hwm

Errors or discrepancies in the books
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:59:22 am »
Dear Patty,

thank you so much for writing such wonderful books! I love them all very much and hope you'll write many many more.

I'd love to offer my help in case you have any more German stuff in any of your books, because I'm German (even living in Germany) and a translator by profession. (You would not need to pay me anything though!) If you would like me to check anything or research something to do with Germany, for example in order to flesh out Zee's character more, please let me know. I'd be really happy if I could be of some help to one of my favorite authors.

Love,

Eva
I loved the first chapter, can't wait to see what happens next.
But I discovered a spelling mistake of a German word (I'm a native speaker).
Zee says "...Both of them are nur Shatten . . . only shadows of reality...", but it should be Schatten.

Love, Monika
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 12:56:22 pm by Cole »

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
Re: Errors or discrepancies in the books
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 04:25:03 pm »
I love all of these books and I love the way you tie different bits of german into the writing, I am part german myself, but I don't speak it, I speak spanish  ::).  I guess I can't really be of much help here unless you wanted Tony to speak in spanish or something in other books, so i guess I'm kinda useless.

Sorry for the completely random comment,
Kiersten

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 06:12:32 pm »
Well, I'm supposed to be germanic too, & I haven't one other language I'm fluent in.  If you want to make random comments, come on over to the 'Random Thread'!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 01:55:48 pm »
thanks i think that i will  ;D

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Nifty

• Mechanic
Re: Adam's Color
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:20:21 am »
Now the real question is whether it's best to just fess up to the mistake, or to invent some convoluted, complex shaggy-dog story and pretend that his color was supposed to have changed for some reason (i.e. 'That's his WINTER pelt.', or  'Well, it just depends on what mood he's in.  An alpha can change into the likeness of, er, any wolf in his pack.  And , um, er, there's this wolf "Bob" that's just the opposite color of Adam, and Adam likes to change into those colors just to see who's paying attention.  Now aren't you glad you were paying attention, hmmm?".

Oh, just fess up.  If an author makes it too convoluted for the explanation, she could create problems down the road.  The ripple effect, you know. 

I can't speak for other readers, but I for one am happy enough to hear "Ooops!" from an author than read some long, drawn-out "It-wasn't-really-a-mistake-because..." worked into the next story.  Authors are people and they have a lot to keep straight -- especially once the series takes off.  So just let it go.  Well, that's one woman's nifty opinion, at any rate. <shrug>
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:24:26 am »
Oh, just fess up.  If an author makes it too convoluted for the explanation, she could create problems down the road.  The ripple effect, you know. 

I can't speak for other readers, but I for one am happy enough to hear "Ooops!" from an author than read some long, drawn-out "It-wasn't-really-a-mistake-because..." worked into the next story.  Authors are people and they have a lot to keep straight -- especially once the series takes off.  So just let it go.  Well, that's one woman's nifty opinion, at any rate. <shrug>

I agree entirely, and Patty's a very down-to-earth person who's perfectly happy to admit to making mistakes.  That's why I started out by saying that it was a mistake -- the rest of my post was just a joke.  I've seen authors completely jump the shark trying to explain a simple mistake, and that's not going to happen here.  So, pencil in the correct colors -- we'll try to fix it in reprints, if Iron Kissed gets that far.  ;D
Where's my super-suit?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 10:35:06 am »
I never really noticed that goof up but then I don't think Adam was described in detail in the previous two books!
I also have a feeling that there will definitely be chances to fix the goof up for  the reprints ;)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 10:58:01 am »
That's why I started out by saying that it was a mistake -- the rest of my post was just a joke.  I've seen authors completely jump the shark trying to explain a simple mistake, and that's not going to happen here. 

Oh, see...and I think I missed the joke partly because I HAVE seen authors lose it trying to explain a simple mistake.  But you can call me Nifty O'Blivious.   ;D
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 11:17:54 am »
Oh, see...and I think I missed the joke partly because I HAVE seen authors lose it trying to explain a simple mistake.  But you can call me Nifty O'Blivious.   ;D

LOL!  Well I didn't say it was a good joke.  I've been unofficially diagnosed as humor-impaired -- I'm sure there's a support group I should be attending somewhere.  But yes, Patty is officially copping to the mistake rather than planning any elaborate cover-up.  She goofed, she's sorry and she'll try to do better.  In every book she's ever published we've found a number of mistakes -- it's kind of like an easter egg hunt!  We've thought about adding something like this to the forward of each book:

There are at least five logical contradictions, eight grammar errors and  ten misspellings in this book.   These were intentionally placed in the text to test the observance of the reader.  Tally up the errors you found and consult the following table:

25 or more   -->   Hard core grammar Nazi. There's not that many errors, and I can end a sentence with a preposition if I want to!
20-25         -->    Meticulous Reader -- please apply for work as a line editor with the publisher of your choice. Your skills are needed.
15-20         -->    Detail oriented, but not compulsive.  You should BE an author.
10-15         -->    Relaxed Reader.  Your brain is equipped with auto-correct, and you don't sweat the little things.
5-10           -->    Very Relaxed Reader.  You're either reading on the subway or smoking 'herbs' to relax.
0-5             -->    Bush Political Apointee -- You don't notice anything unless told to do so.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:20:05 am by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 11:53:13 am »
Ahahaha!  That was hilarious.  I particularly love your definitions for 25 or more and less than 5.  Ha!

However, shouldn't you correct 25 or more to read:  "25 or more   -->   Hard core grammar Nazi. There ARE not that many errors, and I can end a sentence with a preposition if I want to!"

Are.  There are....

I'm just helping.  That's all  :P 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:07:47 pm by Nifty »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 02:26:22 pm »
Hi, my name is Patti L., and I'm humor impaired, manners impaired, and an occassional grammar/spelling Nazi.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 03:24:16 pm »
Ahahaha!  That was hilarious.  I particularly love your definitions for 25 or more and less than 5.  Ha!

However, shouldn't you correct 25 or more to read:  "25 or more   -->   Hard core grammar Nazi. There ARE not that many errors, and I can end a sentence with a preposition if I want to!"

Are.  There are....

I'm just helping.  That's all  :P 

Sigh -- now you know why I don't write books ;)
Where's my super-suit?

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 03:41:06 pm »
Hi, my name is Patti L., and I'm humor impaired, manners impaired, and an occassional grammar/spelling Nazi.

Ok guys, let's say hi to Patti. *chorus in the background, "Hi Patti"*
Well done Patti, you're one courageous geek. Like all of us. Now let's pray the Lord (or Whoever you prefer) to help us make the jokes we can make, keep to ourselves the jokes we cannot make, and the knowledge to tell the difference.

;D
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 06:21:41 pm »
Uhhh.  I think that's the point, Mazoku.  I have neither the knowledge nor the wisdom to tell the difference.
But I do try to stick to the dictum, "When in doubt, don't" for jokes.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 07:44:14 pm »
okay, just checking because I wanted to do a picture, but wasn't sure which colors to use. >.>

My name is Zealith, and I too am humor impaired. *shifty eyes*