Author Topic: Errors or discrepancies in the books  (Read 73306 times)

Darcia

Re: Errors or discrepancies in the books
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2009, 11:05:03 am »
To us krauts:
just enjoy the chumps of german words. I just think its kinda fun to have an author making a connection to our language!
Yep, always gives me a smile when I see some German bits (or sometimes what the author thought to be German :D) in a novel.

Yes, that's what made me smile, too. I was surprised that there were german words in the first book (and then I read the 2nd, the 3rd....).
I'm a native speaker of German and I love to detect some german terms in the books!

Buran

• Tool Wrangler
  • soviet space shuttle
    • downloadable insanity
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2009, 12:28:22 pm »
I guess that means the Auto-Zauber title on the forums is wrong, too :)

On that note, shouldn't "Tinker" be "Tinkerer"?

... I want my VW back from the body shop, so I too can tinker with it ... :(
Jennifer
"See two coyotes running down a deer -- fear what we don't understand."
-- Elton John, American Triangle

Garfield

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2009, 12:57:41 am »
Another long dead thread revived ...

But I am just too curious :). I have seen this discussed in several threads in this forum, but never with any answer/result to it. So I thought just bring it up again.

Zee Adalbertsmiter/Adalbertkrieger. The translation of smiter with Krieger is just sooooo strange! Krieger means something like warrior, while smiter would refer to someone who has killed/ struck down this Adalbert. So I am kind of confused, did Zee kill Adalbert (smite him) or fight for him (which Adalbertskrieger would suggest)? This confuses me to no end ...

Also, I thought I might advertise a website ... There is a project of the university of Munich to create an online dictionary. There are several languages already, but the english-german version is quite good, loads better than all the paper dictionaries I have seen so far. the adress is: http://www.leo.org/index_en.html  (I have no clue how to link stuff :P). I thought this might maybe help with german stuff if it is needed fast.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2009, 10:27:48 am »
Garfield, if you have read all of the Mercy books, then you know that Patty has not yet given an explanation for Zee's name. Mercy has researched his name, without much success. Maybe Patty will reveal the story behind Zee's name, perhaps not. 
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Garfield

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2009, 02:29:59 pm »
I read all the books and know that Zee's story has not been revealed yet. But that is not what I am interested in. Well, ok, actually it is, but it is not what I am asking here, I can wait for the story to be revealed in the books :D.

What confuses me simply is the translation of the name. It is not easy to explain, maybe I got it wrong. So focusing on the name, this is what confuses me: English: Adalbetsmiter; German: Adalbert's warrior. This has nothing to do with story. Now I guess, as it is the english version of the book readers are supposed to understand english, not german. So smiter might be the correct meaning. Still, the translation is so far from the original that I am confused. It is as if you translate pope with heretic, male with female, water with earth or music with painting.

So, I was not actually inquiring into Zee's background story, I was simply trying to figure out which of the two completely opposite translations of his name was the correct one. (Unless of course that is part of the story ...?)

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2009, 03:31:00 pm »
You know, Garfield, it might be.
The native americans have often got contradictory stories about the same character, in the same small tribal alliance.  And, given the habits of Fae, and the length of Zee's presumed life, he could have done both.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2009, 03:42:12 pm »
Garfield, I'm sorry. I did misunderstand you. Sorry for the confusion. :-[
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #127 on: August 22, 2009, 07:31:38 am »
Arrrgh.  Blame it on Patty's poor German.  She made up the name based on a series of legends (and of course she took liberties with the legends to make her own story).   Basically, St Adalbert of Prague was supposed to have been a warrior/priest who was particularly successful in subduing the heathen traditions and advancing Christianity.   Ulitmately, he and his companions were killed in some sort of battle with pagans.   Reading a bit more deeply, we find he was violent, rash, and happy to murder anyone who got in his way.  In fact, he once dragged a woman claiming sanctuary out of church to murder her.  You'll have to dig a lot deeper than a Google search to get anything other than stories of his great missionary effort, after all, he's officially a saint.  However, he is mentioned in several other texts, and not favorably.  Embellish the story and look at this from the Fey side of the equation, and you have a bloodthirsty, conquering tyrant.  Wearing cold steel armor and weapons would make a man almost invulnerable to most fae . . . but not Zee.

The Adaldbertsmiter was supposed to refer to someone who killed Adalbert, and that's how Patty rendered it.  However, the German translator suggested that krieger would better convey someone who fought against Adalbert (or else the other way around -- I'm not quite sure).  At any rate, the translator felt it important enough to change the character's name to that German readers would understand it properly.

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know the rest of the story."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 07:41:54 am by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

Garfield

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #128 on: August 22, 2009, 09:16:35 am »
Hehe, thanks for the answer and the story!
Maybe you are interested to know (well, I am telling you anyways, so you don't really have a choice in this matter ;P) but I, as a German, think that to translate it as "Krieger" was not the best suggestion ...
That Adalbertskrieger could mean that he fought against Adalbert never even entered my mind. Even now that I know it was supposed to mean it it is still not making any sense. There is no direct translation for the word smiter in German, but I'd suggest Töter (which would mean something like "killer") or Schlächter ("slayer") as the closest call. But I guess it is a little late now ;).

Anyways, maybe I should again mention a very nice online dictionary: http://www.leo.org/index_en.html
Whenever I am in doubt what some word means I usually check it there and then check the translation. Takes about a minute and afterwards I am pretty sure I have some idea what the meaning of that word is :).

Shipa

• Grease Monkey
MC & A&O | continuity question
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »
Last warning: don't read the question if you don't want Moon Called and Alpha and Omega spoiled for you!!

I was rereading Moon Called and something Bran said caught my eye. On page 219, he says about Charles disciplining Leo's pack: "...The Alpha's second is the one who set up the deal [of selling werewolves], but Charles is having difficulty getting more information out the second because he has left town [Isn't the second Justin? He wasn't out of town when Charles first came to Chicago, right?]...The rest of the pack seem to be unaware of what was going on, but we're breaking them up anyway."

Most of the Leo's pack might have been unaware of the selling new werewolves thing but how did Bran break up Leo's pack. Charles took care of the Justin and Leo and Anna went with him to join the Marrok's pack. But the rest of Leo's pack stayed as it was right? ??? ???

If this was answered elsewhere, I'm sorry for the repeat question but if someone could link/let me know what/where the answer is, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

ETA: Title modified. Elle
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:34:19 pm by Elle »
The time to stop talking is when the other person nods his head affirmatively but says nothing.
--Henry S. Haskins (1875-1957)

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
Re: MC & A&O question - spoiler alert!!
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2010, 02:43:27 am »
Hi Shipa,

It's been discussed in a couple of threads here on the board: Continuity issues in the books and in the Interaction between Series thread, we'll get in moved into the Continuity FAQ so it's easier to find. Here's where Patty addresses Leo's second.

I can't really remember, but I don't think BB mentions Charles going to Chicago or anything that happened there and I do not recall Anna or an Omega being alluded to in either BB or MC.  Towards the end of MC Bran does mention Charles in Chicago though and confirms to Mercy that it was Leo's pack that had changed Mac.  He also mentions to Mercy that Charles was unable to speak with Leo's second as he had left town (a bit different from the story in Alpha and Omega, but oh well no biggie) At least I think that is what I remember of that conversation.

From Patty:
This is Patty.  Mike let out a hoot of glee and said, "They caught you!"  So I came running.
But I don't think so  ;D
I haven't looked it up (and I'm making dinner (at 9pm our time, poor kids) ) but if it reads that Charles hadn't been able to contact Leo's second (and  I think that's right), it is certainly true.  Remember Leo's official second is one of the wolves that Leo killed.
 -- Patty -- She who is going to have to keep on her toes to keep up with you folks!

I think Mike did comment on the continuity between the brief mention of Charles in MC and his expanded adventures in A&O. We'll get that posted to the FAQ as well.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:17:03 am by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2010, 04:19:37 pm »
BUMP

Mister from Dresdenland

• Tinker
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2010, 09:50:20 am »
Why?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »
So if we catch them we can bring them to her attention and then she can reconcile them or edit them for future editions of the already printed volumes.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

nanaimo12

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2010, 10:08:04 am »
Under the Ask Patty section in The Weres section, the following was posted; since I cannot respond to it there, I must do so here.

http://hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3534.0

Hi Patty

I've found what seems to be an error in your story Seeing Eye: the phrase and it harm none would make more sense as an it harm none, because it appears to come from the Wiccan motto:

An it harm none, do what ye will

where "an" means "if".

Alas, my anal Virgo side is about to show itself.  O)

The quote above is not correct. The word "an" is the archaic form of "and" - the manner in which the sentence is constructed does not state the word "if", but rather it implies it. Were the sentence expanded, it would read, "And if it does not harm anyone..."

(Note the construction that I used at the beginning of the last sentence. "Were the sentence expanded..." is a similar construction in which the word "if" is implied but not explicitly stated.)

Overall, this is a very wordy way of saying, "Patty's right!" LOL