Author Topic: Errors or discrepancies in the books  (Read 73303 times)

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
Re: Errors or discrepancies in the books
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2009, 08:36:55 am »
Check the first issue of "Homecoming" regarding that!

I forgot you'd get info from homecoming - I have to wait for the omnibus coming out in summer. Sucks!

lunastars

• Tool Wrangler
  • I'm not overweight, I'm under tall
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2009, 02:01:01 am »
well at least you can pretend that it is sort of a medival german version!!! Since Zee is from the old times...

Linnea

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2009, 12:12:19 pm »
I don't speak German, so the little bits in the book, even though technically incorrect, just add a nice flavor to the story and are not distracting.  Don't feel too badly about it!  Plenty of readers are like me, I suspect. 

I prefer to think of it like lunastars.  Zee can call himself whatever he wants to, and I'm pretty sure in medieval times, people who could read just spelled things however they thought it sounded.  It could be a habit he never broke.  Casually work that into your next Mercy book and all will be well.   ;D

~Linnea

Dreaming Dragon

• Tool Wrangler
  • zzzzz
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2009, 01:00:57 pm »
I don't speak German, so the little bits in the book, even though technically incorrect, just add a nice flavor to the story and are not distracting.  Don't feel too badly about it!  Plenty of readers are like me, I suspect. 

I prefer to think of it like lunastars.  Zee can call himself whatever he wants to, and I'm pretty sure in medieval times, people who could read just spelled things however they thought it sounded.  It could be a habit he never broke.  Casually work that into your next Mercy book and all will be well.   ;D

~Linnea

I know English had the same thing until it was easy to make many copies of the same book, printing presses, ey?
And I look at spelling used here and know people still spell things the way they sound, so this makes sense to me.  I will think of it this way, if it comes into the books later or not.
What dreams are made of. . . remember some of your dreams. . . .

lunastars

• Tool Wrangler
  • I'm not overweight, I'm under tall
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2009, 02:15:20 pm »
I speak fluent english and german. My father-in-law-to-be studied german and english and speaks fluent medival english and german (Mittelhochdeutsch).
They sound so similar but I did not understand a word in both languages!

Here an e.g.
He explained to me that the word TOWN and the german word ZAUN (it means fence) have the same origin.
Because in the oldtimes the "towns" always had fences!!!!

To us krauts:
just enjoy the chumps of german words. I just think its kinda fun to have an author making a connection to our language!

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2009, 03:41:58 pm »
To us krauts:
just enjoy the chumps of german words. I just think its kinda fun to have an author making a connection to our language!
Yep, always gives me a smile when I see some German bits (or sometimes what the author thought to be German :D) in a novel.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Howl~n~Growl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2009, 06:59:26 pm »
Check the first issue of "Homecoming" regarding that!

I forgot you'd get info from homecoming - I have to wait for the omnibus coming out in summer. Sucks!

Don't feel bad, I have to wait too. :(
"Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form" - Alexander Skarsgard

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls" - George Carlin

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2009, 08:54:04 pm »
When is said Omnibus coming out specifically? I don't usually buy graphic novels, but in this case I am willingly to make a exception.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2009, 08:57:22 pm »
You may take that question to the Homecoming Graphic Novel section, there may be an answer there, I seem to recall having seen a possible answer there.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2009, 08:34:11 am »
When is said Omnibus coming out specifically? I don't usually buy graphic novels, but in this case I am willingly to make a exception.

I thought July for the UK.

Howl~n~Growl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »
I have it marked on my calander as July 21st 2009. then the week after Hunting ground comes out.....YEA!!!! 2 of Patty's works in a week of each other!!!!
"Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form" - Alexander Skarsgard

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls" - George Carlin

roslynholcomb

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2009, 07:39:46 am »
Okay, I went back and found it. On page 124 of Moon Called Mercy says,
...every business the vampires considered under their jurisdiction (meaning anyone touched by the supernatural who was too powerless to stand against them) paid them protection money.
Then she tells Zee,
"They agreed I could repair their cars instead––and they pay me for parts. That way they save face, and I only have to repair Stefan's bus and an occasional Mercedes or BMW."

So, to me that says that the vampires knew she was a "supernatural" of some sort. Now, I suppose they could've just assumed she was fae, but if vampires are as paranoid as Mercy said Bran said they are I would think they'd make it their business to know for sure. After all, it's their primary source of income.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2009, 07:50:49 am »
Key here is 'touched by the supernatural' and 'too powerless'.  Doesn't have to BE supernatural, just touched by it.  If Stephan was able to gloss it over to 'yeah, human who knows she was working for a fae who worked for vamps', they'd take that as excuse to extort money without getting their knickers in a twist, since Stephan was over there anyway. 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2009, 07:53:09 am »
Perhaps the comic will answer this- I posted a link that a preview of the first 6 pages in the graphics thread and at Patti's Place.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

zlongmore

« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2009, 04:51:58 pm »
Just figured i would let you know of course its obvious you meant floor but i figure someone should point it out for the sake of just pointing it out! hahaha  ;D

anyway im back to reading i cant put this darn book down much longer  :-[ ;)

on page 93 it goes like this

I took a sip of cocoa and waited for bran to talk.
He sigh heavily and leaned back in the chair, balanc-
ing it on two legs, his own legs dangling in the air.
"People don't do that" I told him
He raised and eye brow "Do what?"
"Balance like that--not unless they're teenage boys
showing off for their girlfriends"
He brought all four legs back on the flour abruptly
"Thank you" He said

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:54:16 pm by zlongmore »