Author Topic: Errors or discrepancies in the books  (Read 73281 times)

misty213

Re: Errors or discrepancies in the books
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2009, 11:59:43 pm »
The vamps knew what Mercy was/is in the second book. Marisilia is still mad that Stefan didn't tell them what she was way back when. You have to remember not too much time has passed in the books.Does this all make sense?

Temari

« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2009, 11:39:23 am »
I vaguely remember that the reason for paying protection is that you know about the vampires and are not strong enough to go against them. i.e. They demand it off everyone they possibly can - fae, human, whatever. The only way of being safe is if you don't know vampires exist or have powerful backing e.g. wolf pack.

So all they would need to know was that Mercy knew of them, and they would have checked that cos Zee knew of them.

I guess Mercy was very lucky that Stefan was the contact for her and he didn't give away her secret. I wonder if handling protection was normally his job or if it was a 'whoever is free at the time' thing.

Howl~n~Growl

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2009, 02:42:41 pm »
From what I understand and remember.

Stefan knew that Mercy was a walker and kept it from the Seethe. Marsilia found out in Moon Called(i believe, don't have the books in front of me) when Mercy and Sam went to the Seethe to get the address of the rogue were's. Marsilia was mad at Setfan for keeping the information from her, and everyone else. I don't think that people can tell Mercy is a walker just by being around her, because none of the vampires realized what she was till she used her power to get Marsilia off of Sam.

In Bone Crossed the new vampire...Barnard's actual master, didn't know that Mercy was a walker and the only reason that Blackwood knew is because he had ghost's watching her from a young age in Montana. Marsilia was just still upset with Stefan over the whole thing.

I don't think that the vamps thought she was anything, but they knew that she knew of the Fae cuz of Zee and therefore had to pay for protection.
"Curiosity is insubordination in its purest form" - Alexander Skarsgard

"Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls" - George Carlin

JimC

• Tool Wrangler
Re: when did Mercy learn Welsh?
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2009, 04:22:17 am »
I suspect that the error Patty made was referring to Charles being older than Sam in Bone Crossed.

roslynholcomb

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2009, 05:35:00 am »
I could've misread it, and at some point I'll go back and check, but I could've sworn that the shake-down pertained to more than just knowing about the vampires. It pertained to being a magical creature. After all, there's no real way to determine if someone simply knows about the vampires.

Teagan

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2009, 06:13:30 am »
I think I remember even the werewolves pay off vampires just to keep them off their backs.  That's why they were certain that Marsilla had the addresses for the rouges.

Stephen probably just documented each transaction that went on and one of the sheep from the menageries would bring in a vampire's car and tell Mercy to fix it. And I don't think she worked on anyone's car who was old enough to understand what she was when they got a sniff of their car, or  she never left a scent behind.  Then, they dismissed her as a fae or Stephen conveniently forgot to mention her race.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 09:06:58 am »
Good point Teagan; it would mostly be 'sheep' who'd be bringing the cars to the shop.  And unless they're close enough to being turned to have difficulty coming out in daylight, their senses of smell wouldn't be enough to tell them that Mercy didn't smell entirely human.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2009, 02:15:14 pm »
Well if Bran, Sam and Charles spoke enough of it around Mercy when she was growing up she would have caught on to the basics. Kids learn languages amazingly quickly.

But Mercy said she didn't speak Welsh in IK.

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2009, 06:01:37 pm »
Hmm. That's right, Avarel. I forgot about that.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
Re: Re: when did Mercy learn Welsh?
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2009, 06:07:43 pm »
languages are a habit of mine, so I remembered

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
Re: Re: when did Mercy learn Welsh?
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2009, 06:59:21 pm »
Could be a combination of things, beyond an 'oops' by the author.  She may not SPEAK Welsh, but she might have a rough understanding of some basics.  And that would be heard rather than said.  Plus something about sharing blood with Blackwood, or the presence of the apparently Welsh Oakman?

Morgaine0000

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2009, 08:36:51 pm »

I think I remember even the werewolves pay off vampires just to keep them off their backs.  That's why they were certain that Marsilla had the addresses for the rouges.

Stephen probably just documented each transaction that went on and one of the sheep from the menageries would bring in a vampire's car and tell Mercy to fix it. And I don't think she worked on anyone's car who was old enough to understand what she was when they got a sniff of their car, or  she never left a scent behind.  Then, they dismissed her as a fae or Stephen conveniently forgot to mention her race.

The rogue werewolves paid of the vampires, but Adam's (Bran's) wolves do not.   That's why Mercy emphasized that rogues were not Bran's wolves and were "less than nothing."     It's not been stated in the books why Mercy was paying before they knew that she was a walker, but maybe it's been stated by Ms. Briggs somewhere off the record.  I just assumed she was paying because Zee was and she knew that he was fae.  Plus he was also somewhat still involved in the business in that he substituted when Mercy could not work.   It actually seems somewhat odd that the powerful fae allow the vampires to basically extort their fellow fae.   Especially since they came out and the vampires have not and have a lot to lose.   But I suppose its because the Grey Lords don't care as much about their own people as  Bran does. 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2009, 08:44:47 pm »
It actually seems somewhat odd that the powerful fae allow the vampires to basically extort their fellow fae.   Especially since they came out and the vampires have not and have a lot to lose.   But I suppose its because the Grey Lords don't care as much about their own people as  Bran does. 

I think this is telling about the different 'rulers' that the different groups have, although off topic.  I believe it was mentioned that the fae tend to not work together, and have a lot of intercine rivalries, which I can understand; they're not all the same breed, like werewolves, nor all the same type like vampires.  There are variations of each, but the basics remain the same among those groups.  Not so of the fae.

We could split this off to another thread if you want to discuss it, gang.

Pendle

• Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2009, 09:35:49 am »
I always presumed she had taken the reins from Zee. Perhaps they thought she was fae or something. Her name doesn’t give anything away about her mixed heritage.

Good point Teagan; it would mostly be 'sheep' who'd be bringing the cars to the shop.  And unless they're close enough to being turned to have difficulty coming out in daylight, their senses of smell wouldn't be enough to tell them that Mercy didn't smell entirely human.

I thought she only dealt with Stefan, after-all Mercy works long hours. But if a ‘sheep’ did bring the cars, and even if they could smell her, she’d probably just register as a dog owner.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2009, 09:22:05 pm »
Check the first issue of "Homecoming" regarding that!