Author Topic: Werewolves the new trend?  (Read 12983 times)

adchrist

• Tool Wrangler
Werewolves the new trend?
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:54:31 pm »
Hi, my name is Ashley and I'm a senior Magazine major and Syracuse University. I'm writing a story for a class, and my topic is how werewolves will be start taking over the book, movie and tv scene, like we have recently seen vampires do (twilight saga, true blood, vampire diaries). All of these were books first. So, my prediction is that books like the Mercy Thompson series could be the next big thing. I've read a ton of urban fantasy novels, so i'm not just some weird student. I love these books and think this is an interesting idea.

Does anybody else agree?

adchrist

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Werewolves the new trend?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:08:53 pm »
A lot of people have been saying that they'd rather see movies and tv series about the fey, and that werewolves are already overdone and are also expensive because the special effects have to be really good so that the shows don't look cheesy.

ladylynx

• Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 03:22:41 pm »
Blood and Chocolate was done pretty good. They didn't show the whole transformation from human to wolf, but it was alright. I think if they did it that way people would watch the movie. The major thing I think that holds back werewolf movies is the fact that you need really animals to make it more believable.

adchrist

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:00:16 pm »
also, it's kind of interesting that werewolves are going to be big in the next twilight movie and should also start to play a bigger role in the True Blood series. Maybe if audiences like these, the networks will look into what else is out there.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:40:28 pm »
See the introduction of the new anthology, "Strip Mauled" for why this may not happen.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 03:44:31 pm »
See the introduction of the new anthology, "Strip Mauled" for why this may not happen.

What anthology? Is "Strip Mauled" the name of it or the name of a story? Does Patty have a story in there?
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 03:53:50 pm »
That's the book title, and no, nothing by Patty, it's about suburban werewolves.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 04:04:35 pm »
Is this like the Chicks series?  'Cause I seem to remember a Witch Way to the Mall recently...

And, to stay on topic, I personally think that werewolves are another old trend.  By the time Hollywood gets ahold of these things, they're usually well past their expiration date.  Look how long vampires have been the 'hot thing' and only lately are we seeing the tv/movie treatment.  As far as I can tell, many authors are starting to move past vampires and werewolves and into fresher ground.
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

adchrist

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 04:10:25 pm »
fresher ground being...?

I'm not tired of vampires r werewolves, i'm just tired of a naive white human girl being the main character.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 04:27:20 pm »
I'm not tired of vampires r werewolves, i'm just tired of a naive white human girl being the main character.

LOL LOL  Okay, I can see that.  I will now officially bookpush Rob Thurman and Mark Del Franco.  No naive white human girls to be found.  (Okay, Rob started a second series with a woman, but she's not naive, she's not white, and the rest is a surprise.  Thurman's first series has male protagonists, as does Mark del Franco's.) 

fresher ground being...?

Druids, fae of all sorts, pucks, tricksters and Norse and Aztec gods.  I read a book where the main character is a Hound of the Wild Hunt.  Stag-men and witches.  Elves, at least one take of which is wickedly different from the folklore.  Demons and angels. 

I know I'm forgetting some, but that's off the top of my head...  :)
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 04:29:50 pm »
Yes, Ellyll, it is the start of a new collection series.

Lots of odd 'undead -NOT vampires- but still acting in the 'real world' ' things going around now.

Those who for some reason can understand some non-human species.

Mister from Dresdenland

• Tinker
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 04:27:03 pm »
I've read a ton of urban fantasy novels, so i'm not just some weird student.

I love this line, just love it!  LOL

adchrist

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 05:32:30 pm »
haha - thanks

XShipper

• Grease Monkey
  • roleplayn werewolf
    • X-Files Mania
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 05:44:31 pm »
Maybe the problems until lately are that almost every werewolf in the past was just creepy bad beast origin from a evil man with no deeper emotions and feelings. Just a monster who kills for lust and blood - really nothing the viewer can identify with himself or to build up some kind of relationship with it. AND the technique to show and present werewolfs were so cheap and ugly in the past, it needs authentic special effects so that they ARE real and have a soul.

Maybe it just needs the right way to present character as a werewolf like here in Patricia Briggs books to awake the interest of the viewers. ??? :D I hope so. !!! :D

ladylynx

• Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 07:19:42 am »
It's just recently since, Vampires started coming out in the novels. That any type of Were is being mention again. as for past movies, your right int he fact that, most of them just used the Werewolf as the villain of the movie. They didn't show the human aspect or intelligence, just the animal part.

The naive white chick you see in Twilight, was to draw a younger crowd to the series. I think that's why it's so popular.

The Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, is unique because of how the main character is. she's not some naive white chick who falls in love or something. It's because how the vampires and other supernaturals allow her to let her guard down and not try to block all the time. also, she just seems to be drawn into the supernatural trouble going on around her as well.

Ms. Briggs novel are unique, because the main character is already a supernatural and she doesn't know how to keep her coyote nose out of trouble. Plus, I guess when your raised by the biggest,baddest Were-Wolf in North America, it's kind of hard to blend into being a normal person and for other sup's not to mess with you. Most of her villains that are powerful semi-know that she is Brain's favorite? Why?, they have no idea, but she has his ear, even if she doesn't want to admit it.

Which brings up the last thing here about Mercy, If she wanted to remain invisible per say, she shouldn't have started dating a known Were-Wolf. That is her other mistake. Sooner or later even Adam's enemies are going to want to use Mercy either against him as bait or take their vengeance out against her to get to Adam.