Author Topic: Bran's Relationship with his Children  (Read 30377 times)

Fairyfreak

• Grease Monkey
Re: Charles as the Marrok's "Enforcer"
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 11:12:18 am »
Umm, I'd rather not have that as his theme song. For some reason I get annoyed by it.

Exactly!  I can imagine his reaction... LOL  *shakes head sadly* My humor is misunderstood...does that make me a genius?   O)

Hmmm, I must need new glasses. I thought the title of this thread was "Charles", not "Soundtrack". ???

Sorry, I had a funny thought about Charles, so I put it in the Charles thread...I guess I don't know where else is would go?   :(

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 12:13:00 pm »
There is a character karaoke thread, and possibly a character theme song one. 
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Josi

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:17:19 pm »
Charles is my favorite character.  He is so complex!  I can't wait till next a & o!!!  bOuNcY

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 05:57:41 pm »
Its mentioned several times that Bran "made" Charles the pack's assassin.  Does that mean he was trained? Perhaps by Bran? What I would like to see is what life was like for Charles as he was establishing himself as a dominant wolf...also as his father's hit man.

And just who trained him how to be so lethal? bOuNcY

Any thoughts?

I just finished Hunting Ground, and it's phenomenal.

Well I finished it today myself. I must say I think Bran trained him and Samuel to fight but Charles just happens to have more of an edge and presence Samuel doesn't have - I think Mercy explained it well with Adam and Sam as well. Samuel is a healer and therefore doesn't have that edge. After reading this book I think it's the nature of Bro Wolf that just makes him soooo good at what he does.Charles himself is very - I don't know level head and logical, even without Bro wolf upfront he has a presence that others don't have and makes them back down. Guess back to the dominant thing. :)
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

kingken

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 02:14:01 am »
Its mentioned several times that Bran "made" Charles the pack's assassin.  Does that mean he was trained? Perhaps by Bran? What I would like to see is what life was like for Charles as he was establishing himself as a dominant wolf...also as his father's hit man.

And just who trained him how to be so lethal? bOuNcY

Any thoughts?

I just finished Hunting Ground, and it's phenomenal.

Well I finished it today myself. I must say I think Bran trained him and Samuel to fight but Charles just happens to have more of an edge and presence Samuel doesn't have - I think Mercy explained it well with Adam and Sam as well. Samuel is a healer and therefore doesn't have that edge. After reading this book I think it's the nature of Bro Wolf that just makes him soooo good at what he does.Charles himself is very - I don't know level head and logical, even without Bro wolf upfront he has a presence that others don't have and makes them back down. Guess back to the dominant thing. :)

This is for me why I love the series. It also mentions in Hunting ground that he doesnt like being the killer. Also there is apart where he talks of Bran and Samuel training him to sword fight :-LOVE
Either way Charles is addictive.

ironkitten

• Mechanic
  • it all started with chocolate! - Mercy
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 09:50:14 pm »
That he is - I am re reading it now myself. Poor Charles and his dilema.
Qualified hairdresser now - watch out here I come and I have scissors & hair dye!

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 09:49:04 am »
[I couldn't find anything about this in the chats, so if it's there, maybe someone can point me to it. I apologize for the length, and the words in color are my emphasis. Also, I read on a Kindle, so I can't give page numbers--but I've tried to set-up my quotes so that they're recognizable.]

Whenever I re-read the Alpha & Omega series, I wonder about how Charles became his father's second and how that role evolved to include being the Marrok's "enforcer." I'm pretty sure that Justin was Leo's all-around dirty deeds wolf in Chicago, but Leo was in protect-the-mate mode and Justin was a violence junkie. I don't get the sense that Adam would delegate such a heavy burden regularly to his second, Darryl. That is, Adam seems like a hands-on kind of alpha who would feel like he should shoulder that responsibility.

So I'm curious why Bran decided to use Charles in this way--instead of Bran himself.

Here are some things I've noticed:

In A&O, chapter 1, while driving from the airport with Anna, Charles reflects on the fact that she is frightened of him:  Being his father's chosen executioner, he was used to being feared, though he'd never enjoyed it.

A few beats later, when they arrive at Anna's apartment building, and after he is startled by the car horn, Charles reveals his role:  "Anna," he said, fully in control again. "I am my father's hit man. It is my job as his second." 

In Hunting Ground, chapter 3, Dana Shea and Charles have the following exchange:

"You are the killing arm of the Marrok. Rude. Dangerous."
"True enough," Charles said.

But I'm particularly intrigued by what Angus has to say about Charles right after Anna realizes that he was testing her (in HG, chapter 6):  "I've known Charles a long time. I saw him turn from a quiet boy into the weapon his father needed--that we needed. Just because I understood the need, it didn't mean I couldn't regret it."

Only the fae refers to Bran as "the Marrok," as if she is detached from it all. Both Charles and Angus use the more familiar "father," which makes their take on it feel more intimate and more tragic. What Angus has to say is as much a lament at Charles's lost innocence as it is an explanation. Charles was once "a quiet boy" who is turned into "a weapon." And his father "needed" Charles to be a weapon. Why? And why Charles? Why not Samuel?

I wonder if Patty has plans for a short story about a younger Charles and how he developed into the werewolf who met Anna at the airport in Chicago...?

Any thoughts?

[Again, if this has been covered in a chat and Patty has answered these questions, please just point me to the right place.]

bj

ETA: Title Modified. Elle
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:53:42 pm by Elle »

Brittany

• Grease Monkey
  • Omega Wolf
    • blog
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »
I would love to see a short story or novella about a younger Charles as he was "[turned] from a quiet boy into the weapon his father needed". Charles intrigued me from the moment he appeared in Moon Called and I'd love to know more about his background. I know that we've gotten some information from the A&O novels, but I'd love even more than just the miscellaneous details we get in the books.

I don't think there's any plans for a short story so far (or none that she's shared on the forum, as far as I can see), but maybe she'll write something about Charles's past in the future. :)
Women are the bloodthirsty sex. We get the reputation, but it is only because the
women stand behind us, and say, Kill it. Squish it. — Ric Postinger (Hunting Ground)

Kyria

• writers
  • Senior Pack Member
    • Farthest Feather Creations
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »
I'd love to see a short story about the younger Charles, too.  And I'd like to know more about his relationship with Samuel, who seems very much Charles's opposite.  I find sibling dynamics intriguing, plus - I wonder what Samuel thought of his baby brother (there's what, 800 years between them?) turning into an assassin. 

Charles always reminds me of the way a good friend of mine described me in high school.  "The nicest person [he knew] who always looks ready to kill somebody."  I thought of Charles that way from the first, right when we met him in Moon Called and Mercy is somewhat confused by his moment of kindness regarding Mac's body.

He is an excellent, complex character, I'm glad Patty decided to do a series with him instead of just leaving him as a peripheral thug.   :D

lostbird

• Mechanic
  • (sigh....)
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 06:33:44 am »
"The nicest person [he knew] who always looks ready to kill somebody."  I thought of Charles that way from the first, right when we met him in Moon Called and Mercy is somewhat confused by his moment of kindness regarding Mac's body.   :D

Lol! That's a perfect description, Kyria ...  ;)

caerali

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 01:05:59 pm »
I got the opinion that he only really felt bad for Mac because the boy was so importaint to Mercy.  I think if he spent that much attention on every wolf who died by tragic means, it would probably eat him alive day and night.  He purposely seperates what he does from who he is or he'd gone crazy by now.  I think that part showed more about how much Mercy meant to him then anything else.

HavParker

• Tinker
    • The Critical Artist
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 06:20:59 pm »
I don't feel sorry for Charles, at least not that much. Not enough to wish he didn't have to do his job. He wouldn't be him if he didn't.
•Hav•

Kkat07

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 05:18:51 pm »
I figured he was Bran's enforcer because he was his second.  He's Bran's second because he's the next most dominant wolf after Bran, with Samuel about his equal, or close enough to make no never mind.  Bran's enforcer would have to be strong enough to bring anyone back into line, even Alphas, so having his enforcer as his second makes sense.
WAKE THE SANTAMIND. -Eric James Stone

HavParker

• Tinker
    • The Critical Artist
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »
I'm pretty sure Samuel is more dominate that Charles, and I mean enough to make it a significant difference. but I'm not confident in that last fact. And although you make a good point, I think it was mostly personality traits that makes Charles a more effective enforcer than Samuel.

Samuel, with his propensity to healing, wouldn't be able to handle the black and white moral sense. Charles, on the other hand accepts this easier.
•Hav•

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 09:46:10 pm »
I believe that Patty has indicated (possibly very indirectly) that Samuel's . . . karma? dharma? as a healer is why Bran eased him out of that role as soon as possible.  Not just the issue of moral ambiguity, but the "Hippocratic Oath" stuff of not killing when there is the chance to heal.  Sometimes they conflict too badly to work.  Your mileage may vary.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.