Author Topic: [Mercy #3] Iron Kissed Discussion  (Read 85053 times)

Taranis

[Mercy #3] Iron Kissed Discussion
« on: September 14, 2007, 07:39:27 pm »
That's such a good point!  I was wondering how all of this will affect Mercy's relationship with the vampires.  She was really upset with Stephan for allowing Andre's people to be killed.  Coupled with her own struggles with killing Andre, I am really curious how she's going to interact with the vampires from now on...and won't the Seeth find out about her killing Andre?

(Sorry...I tend to spill out questions like there's no tomorrow!   :-\)

ETA: Title modified. Elle
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:28:54 pm by Elle »

jenniwee

• Mechanic
Re: Iron Kissed Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:03:43 pm »
Unfortunately, Patty said she wasn't going to deal with the vamps in Iron Kissed.  So we'll have to wait at least 18 months to find out.  Unless Patty could give us a hint now? 

Taranis

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 02:06:24 pm »
Patty, PLEEEAAASSSEEE????  Please Please Please??? :-[

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 12:55:05 pm »
Just a thought.... Mercy's emotional health will be with her whether she deals with vampires or not.  Something tells me how she feels about killing will come up in Iron Kissed.  Also, just because the book is primarily about Fae doesn't mean the vampires stop exsisting even in the front of Mercy's mind.  It just will get very little attention, probably.  And beg as much as you want - the book's written and the author's on a schedule   (see books page on hurog.com) :)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 12:48:43 pm »
Well, here's the thread where everyone can talk abuot it, until such time as everyone has had a chance to read it. ^^

First of all, yayness that Sam was easily set aside as pontental mate with no hurt feelings! *does the happy dance* And even more yayness that she accepted Adam.

I was pleased how she ended the book, it was a very nice little scene to end with. ^^

And there where many other things, but I'll only throw it one more before ending this rant.

Bran is a bard? I admit, when I thought of his past, I thought of him as a farmer type person.  :-[

deva

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 04:10:36 pm »
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I have been calling around for a week trying to find out who has this book out on the shelves.  It has been killing me, googling my butt off trying to find someone with a spoiler to tell me who she picks.  I finally located a bookstore 20 miles from me with the book on its shelves, but I can't get there until tomorrow.  I had just resigned myself to a sleepless night when I decided to check the forum as a last ditch effort to find out who she picks so that I may get a restful sleep tonight.  So, thank you so much!  I am so happy (though my husband did say "what if she is posting that just to throw you off?")
Now I will have a peaceful night ahead of me and an early morning trip to a bookstore holding the book that has been on my wishlist for what seems like forever.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 05:03:41 pm »
I've read the book.  Loved it!!  I'll do the best I can to conceal my spoilers...  Maybe post them in black, so that you have to run over them with the curser to see them.  My expectation, however, is that since "spoilers" is in the title of this thread, people who read this thread should expect to see, well, spoilers.

I really liked how Patty handled Mercy's choice between Adam and Sam.  It's wasn't just that I'm happy that Mercy went with Adam -- love me some Adam!!! -- but I totally get what Mercy was saying when she talked about who she was before, when she was a kid and first knew Sam, and who she is now, and why that has a impact on her choise between the two men.  Maybe it's because I'm 36 myself and have worked hard to become my own person, independent and sure of Self, but I could relate to Mercy's reasoning and it seemed completely SENSIBLE to me.  Like...sensible in a psychologically-reasonable way.  I also agreed with what Jesse said at one point in the book. She said that Adam doesn't waste his resources.  From what we've seen of him so far, that's very true.  Mercy has assets as a coyote...and therefore assets to Adam's pack.  So while he can be domineering and dictatorial, he's also not the type of guy to shuffle the little woman off to the side, simply because she's female, not when she adds real value to the situation at hand.

I also think Patty did an AWESOME job writing the Tim and Mercy scene near the end of the book. What a difficult scene to read, knowing what was happening to Mercy.  But Patty did a great job writing clarity into the scene without relaying every single little detail.  We knew what was going on, but we didn't have to SEE it all.  Since I can be rather squeamish about rape scenes, I appreciated that.

And major kudos to Ben!!!  Oh my gosh!!  He was just wonderful at the end.  My hat is off to him for risking so much to lay it all out and explain it to Adam.  I liked how he put it -- he wished he'd have explained it more respectfully.  But he just jumped several notches up the list of My Favorite Characters.  And of course, now that I know something more about his past, I'm even MORE curious about what happened to him.  I hope we find out more in the next book.

I'm worried about the continued presence of the walking stick.  I know that this particular walking stick made ewes pregnant with twins.  But I can't help but think of it, then, in terms of general fertility.  Mercy said she was on the pill, but since the sick is fae and magical...and still insisits on hanging out at Mercy's house...it troubles me a little.  I wouldn't care if it were just Mercy and Adam -- although I'm not chomping at the bit for Mercy to get preggers -- but considering what happened with Tim, well...it worries me. 

Not sure what my favorite scenes are.  Maybe the scene with Adam and Mercy in the shower, when he first discovers her tattoo.  But I also really liked the scene at the end when Mercy was in coyote form and Adam was in his human form. 
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 08:04:21 pm »
For anyone who's looking for it early: I got my copy from Walden's Books, which I think is a chain.

I really liked those two scenes too, and the one that ends the book. What can I say, I'm a sucker for cuddle scenes. Overall, I like the way Patty played this book. Keep the romance from overruling the rest of the plot, but still keeping it strong enough that we knew it would be resolved. And I really liked Austin Summer, I can just see the scene by the river so perfectly in my mind.
I really liked how she got more into describing how Adam's wolf looked in this one. I think she only mentioned it once in the other books, and I had trouble picturing him in my mind. Now I'm all inspired to try and draw him in that half stage.
I liked how Sam backed down, to me it seemed to fit him far better then having Mercy as a mate or coming to a fight with Adam would have.
I liked how we saw more of Ben, Honey and a few other minor characters that I liked. And now there's all sorts of fun stuff we can add to the character lists. *biggrin*

((Wow, I used 'I liked' too much. *blush*))

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 08:50:01 pm »
I removed a few posts discussing whether or not spoilers should be allowed.  For the record, I'd LIKE to keep major spoilers in clearly-marked topics (like "Iron Kissed *spoilers*", for example  ;D) for at least a couple weeks after the official release date of the book, to avoid "accidental spoilers". Within these topics, however, feel free discuss the book to your heart's content.

The readers have been warned  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:51:32 pm by Mike Briggs »
Where's my super-suit?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 09:12:50 am »
Thanks Mike ! ;D

I have to agree the scene where Adam, Ben and Mercy really got to me as a reader- Wow very intense and heart wrenching and I love the cuddle scene too. I love Adam !!!!
Its great that we learn more about Ben, who isnt as tough as he makes out.
I also love how the romantic triangle was resolved but I think there were hints in previous books that showed this. Its also great to see that Mercy is beginning to realise that she has a family of her own makining and that she isnt alone - I am really looking forward to how her relationships with Adam/Sam/Zee and the pack evolve.
Anyone think there is more than meets the eye about the walking stick? I have some theories but it looks like it was trying to tell Mercy something in IK, or that was my impression. It appeared where just before a pivotal scene or character appears? For instance it appeared in Mercy's  car when she leaves the meeting.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 09:54:38 am »
Its great that we learn more about Ben, who isnt as tough as he makes out.

Very interesting.  Ben has been very misogynistic up until Iron Kissed.  As he was alluding to his own personal experiences during his conversation with Adam at the end of IK, I thought that he'd been abused by a man.  I shouldn't make that assumption, but I do.  If I think "pedophile", I automatically assume it's a man, just like when I hear the word "rapist", I'm automatically going to assume the rapist is a man.  But after Ben's revelations, I'm thinking he was abused by a woman, and this is why he hates women.  Or maybe he was abused by a man, but a woman either 1) arranged it or 2) knew it was happening and allowed it to happen.  I definitely want to know more about his backstory.  (I'm a sucker for psychology.  I love it when fictional characters behave in a way that is psychologically reasonable.) 

Its also great to see that Mercy is beginning to realise that she has a family of her own makining and that she isnt alone - I am really looking forward to how her relationships with Adam/Sam/Zee and the pack evolve.
Ditto.  Makes me think of Eve from the In Death series:  a woman who was essentially alone, but learned in her adulthood that "family" is what you make of it.  I'm enjoying watching Mercy discover that her "I don't belong to a pack" mentality just no longer rings true.  She's surrounded by pack, by people who care about her and rely on her and will go to bat for her...whether she likes it or not.

Anyone think there is more than meets the eye about the walking stick? I have some theories but it looks like it was trying to tell Mercy something in IK, or that was my impression. It appeared where just before a pivotal scene or character appears? For instance it appeared in Mercy's  car when she leaves the meeting.
Oh, yes...the walking stick worries me.  If it were a non-issue, it wouldn't still be hanging out with Mercy at the end of Iron Kissed.  I think Patty has plans for the stick.  I wonder what those plans are?  (And I wonder if those plans include influencing the fertility of the female werewolves in Mercy's pack.)  Dunno...  But I also wonder if there's more to the stick than Mercy has discovered yet.  Like...the goblet, in the hands of a human, could enslave another human.  But in the hands of a fae, the goblet could heal.  So...maybe the walking stick has "dual" uses as well.  In the hands of that human shepherd, the stick could make ewes have twins.  But Mercy is not completely human.  Maybe there's an alternative "use" to the stick that her non-humanness will trigger.

I also had the thought that Tim was a bit "skinwalkerish" in his druid hide.  The skinwalkers have to wear the hide of the animal into whose shape they transform, and they bring death and disease with them.  They're evil.  While Tim didn't transform shape, I thought his donning of the druid hide and his behavior were analogous to the skinwalkers.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 10:18:03 am »
Ben has been very misogynistic up until Iron Kissed.  As he was alluding to his own personal experiences during his conversation with Adam at the end of IK, I thought that he'd been abused by a man.  I shouldn't make that assumption, but I do.  If I think "pedophile", I automatically assume it's a man, just like when I hear the word "rapist", I'm automatically going to assume the rapist is a man.  But after Ben's revelations, I'm thinking he was abused by a woman, and this is why he hates women.  Or maybe he was abused by a man, but a woman either 1) arranged it or 2) knew it was happening and allowed it to happen.

I agree- but I think it was mentioned somewhere in chat I think that Ben was forced changed, he also regarded himself as a monster I don't know if that is in BB - I think it is. But I have a feeling that he was forced changed by a woman and not necessarily by a man so he hasnt got a high opinion of women. But it really looks like that he really admires Mercy and I think there maybe a bond between them because of their previous experiences regarding rape/abuse. You could see that when Mercy took Ben to scare the bullies away ;D
I also think that Ben is very insightful about how the pack is run and its relationships- Although Adam was on edge after Jesse's attack he knew that Mercy could calm Adam down, and in some ways knows more about their relationship than they really do.

And I agree about the shades of Eve and Rourke- Who I think is a fantastic couple! I just cant wait to see how things evolve between them.

Oh, yes...the walking stick worries me.  If it were a non-issue, it wouldn't still be hanging out with Mercy at the end of Iron Kissed.  I think Patty has plans for the stick.  I wonder what those plans are?  (And I wonder if those plans include influencing the fertility of the female werewolves in Mercy's pack.)  Dunno...  But I also wonder if there's more to the stick than Mercy has discovered yet.  Like...the goblet, in the hands of a human, could enslave another human.  But in the hands of a fae, the goblet could heal.  So...maybe the walking stick has "dual" uses as well.  In the hands of that human shepherd, the stick could make ewes have twins.  But Mercy is not completely human.  Maybe there's an alternative "use" to the stick that her non-humanness will trigger.

You took the words out of my mouth - I am scared as well because the fae stories because there are huge repercussions in using fae objects- remember the drowning of the sheep - when the farmer loses the stick!
And interesting take  on Tim, yeah he was like a skinwalker and he was definitely sociopathic and he was more of a monster than some of the wolves whose instincts sometime overule them.
I am worried about the impact of this though - I woman what about the lawyer who was a member of the anti supernatural group- she knows Mercy is a coyote will she use that against her despite the fact she is sworn to secrecy?
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Jenn

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 04:52:37 pm »
I have read Iron Kissed twice. LOVED IT.
The story was great. I loved how Patty handled the Sam and Adam issue. 
My only complaint.....it ended too soon. I wanted more ;D 

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 06:20:49 pm »
I like the idea of the stick influencing the werewolves' fertility, but because we've mentioned it before she's even had a chance to start writing, I doubt she'll go with it. She wouldn't want it to look like she was borrowing from the readers' ideas.

Lawyer confindentiality, I doubt it will come out, at least right away, that Mercy is a walker.

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2007, 01:39:53 pm »
The story was great. Loved logic with The Choice. The cover ups are almost like some the bad conspiracy movies.
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General