Author Topic: [Mercy #3] Iron Kissed Discussion  (Read 88544 times)

Mandy

Re: Iron Kissed Discussion
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2007, 04:43:29 pm »
Just got BB back from my mom and found on pg 181:
"He talked to Kara, my daughter."

So you were right Has ;D, it is Kara!!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2007, 04:49:34 pm »
Ok so there are like 3 Karas' one who is a lone werewolf, Kara Black the girl that was forced changed and Anna's neighbour. I kept getting confused with two Kara werewolves :)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Mandy

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2007, 04:54:23 pm »
Ha that's right! I forgot about all the other Karas!

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2007, 05:41:30 pm »
I loved Ben's bitter, wry, vulnerable, confession. It was heartbreaking and true and I absolutely loved it. 

He's what I like to call a 'river pebble person.' --A small thing that is one of so many, ravaged by the elements into something hard and beautiful.

I really like the way you described him as a 'river pebble person'. I'll have to remember that saying!
[/quote]

Thank you Mandy. I have a major soft spot for damaged sweethearts. :)
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2007, 05:48:22 pm »
The Fae book, who sicked Fidael on Mercy? I think it was him right after the ocean scene. Was it the sea king?

I don't think anyone sicked Fidael on Mercy if I remember correctly. I thought that he knew that she was not to be harmed b/c Nemane had told all the fae not to kill her b/c of Sam, Adam, and Bran. Fidael went to her out of his own will to kill her b/c he missed the flesh of humans. After he killed her he was planning on telling the fae that he was unaware that the death sentence on Mercy had been canceled. I doubt if someone did tell Fidael to kill her that it was the sea king. The sea king is one of the Grey Lords so he would have been one of the people saying no one should harm Mercy, not sending out people to kill her. But hey, you never know.

I might have just messed up the quote tags.  Oh, well.
I do think that someone (among the fae) ordered a hit on Mercy.  That's why the Fideal went after her the first time.  The fact that he missed the flesh of humans was just a tasty side bennie.  He was then told that the order had been rescinded, but that was after he'd already tried to kill her.  Don't know what his excuse was for trying the second time, at the end of the book.

But I don't have my book with me so I can't check if what I just wrote is correct or utter rubbish.  My memory sucks, so it could be rubbish. ;D
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Mandy

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2007, 07:08:20 pm »
hmmm well I broke out the book and on page 189 when he first attacks her he says:

"The call for you're death has been set," he said. "It is too bad that no one told me until too late that the orders had been recalled."

He then goes on to talk about how long it has been since he has tasted human flesh. He knew the first time that he was doing wrong. I think he was angry that his chance to eat her had been taken away, because I believe on the second attempt to kill her he talks about how he was so great and now is forced to eat only animals. But who knows, knowing Patty there probably was someone who told him to kill her. Eh, this is just me trying to make my English teachers proud, me going back to the book for info and all. Hehe. Guess we'll have to wait and see until the next book!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:10:02 pm by Mandy »

Ceylonna

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2007, 07:17:06 pm »
I loved the book, but in many ways it was heart wrenching.

- The scene with Ben telling Adam about Mercy crawling had me crying.  And I don't cry over books, darn it!

-The rape scene was handled well. An appropriate use of "fade to black". You know enough of what happens to hope that it wasn't what you thought you just read.  It reminds me a bit of the scene in Deerskin (though I might be misremembering -- it's been a while).

-I didn't think that Patty's comment about the book only lasting a week was a spoiler until I started reading it. It's not a spoiler in the sense of ruining the plot, but it made me keep track of the days while I was reading. And when Mercy talked with Tad, I immediately thought about it and deduced that Tad probably wouldn't make an appearance.

-I'm really interested in seeing how she handles the ending scene.  I actually doubt that Mercy and Adam have sex there. While it's a reasonable reaction on Mercy's part (trying to assure herself/not be bound by the rape), it's not necessarily healthy.  I don't think Adam will go for it until they've talked over stuff and he feels she's recovered more. Plus he's exhausted.  And that's assuming she doesn't have some sort of panic attack first. 

-I really appreciate the comments regarding birth control and STIs.  It made things more realalistic. I don't need long explainations, but a few comments to show these things were thought about go a long way in my book.  However, I had expected Mercy to be offered emergency contraceptive when she was brought to the hospital, since I assumed the hospital visit was due to the rape as the cup was supposed to heal everything else.

Now I need to find other things to read until the next book is out.  When do we get a teaser blurb for book 4?   

jenglows

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2008, 06:13:30 pm »
I love Patty. I love how I hear her in what she writes, her character, her sense of humor.  But I put the book down when I got to the rape.  It took me a day to decide to go back and finish it.  I just kept thinking there had to be another way.  Life is hard enough as it is.

It was really hard for me to read that part too and Ben's conversation with Adam. It took me almost 3 days to finish the book because I had to take a few emotional breaks. I guess it's a little crazy that I can get so attached to fictional characters. :)

I liked the way the love triangle played out. Sam is my favorite and I'm so happy that he will continue to be involved in Mercy's life and didn't get his feelings crushed  ;D

Zee turned out to be a real bad-ass, eh?  i didn't really see that coming and it was very cool! 8) The Fae characters  mostly freak me out because they are so powerful you don't know what to expect - at all. Anything can happen, reality can just disappear.  It's very unsettling.  I love it!

I wonder if it will be harder for Mercy to get her self into trouble now that Adam and the rest of the pack have "claimed" her?  I wonder if her blood exchange with Stefan will cause a problem with the pack magic?  I guess her Mom might add some interesting twists too- I can't wait until next year!!!

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2008, 08:47:30 pm »
I love Patty. I love how I hear her in what she writes, her character, her sense of humor.  But I put the book down when I got to the rape.  It took me a day to decide to go back and finish it.  I just kept thinking there had to be another way.  Life is hard enough as it is.

Thank you Opramum.   That scene was a tough one.   Patty really struggled with whether to let it play to completion, or have Adam and the wolves show up in the nick of time.  This is a dark an dangerous road.  It changes the character, and makes the next book or two more difficult.  Nobody wants a whiny, angsty character, but it would be unrealistic to have a rape victim bounce back with no effects.  It's hard to read,and books should be entertaining.  It raises some ugly issues that nobody wants to think about; some monsters are real.

We talked about this several times.  The smart decision was probably to play it safe and have the cavalry ride to the rescue in the nick of time.  All the excitement and none of the issues -- it should have been an easy decision.  But rape and sexual assault are all too common in our culture.  They are usually committed in remote locations, selected for privacy, and for many real women the cavalry doesn't arrive in time.  If we consider rape too terrible to inflict on a fictional character, what does that say to all the real victims; the ones who have to deal with all the emotions and misplaced guilt and unanswerable questions?  We decided it wasn't fair to flinch away and take the easy path.  We're still not sure it was a wise decision, but I think it was the right one.

This is not a book about rape.  It's not intended to be a soapbox to voice our opinion.  In the end, it's just an attempt to deal realistically with a heinous, but lamentably common, crime.  In the final analysis, while there's life there's hope, and forgiveness, and healing.

The next book will be less dark, you have our promise.
Where's my super-suit?

jenglows

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:51 am »
yes, I think it was the right decision too.  I hated reading it because it mirrors real life, but it would of been way too perfect- and much less compelling to read- if the cavalry arrived in time. I think the elements ( Mercy being tricked to drink, starting out on a 'date', and Tim's well hidden psycho side) made it very realistic.  There are monsters in the real world and they look like everybody else.

It's hard to read,and books should be entertaining.  It raises some ugly issues that nobody wants to think about; some monsters are real.

We talked about this several times.  The smart decision was probably to play it safe and have the cavalry ride to the rescue in the nick of time.  All the excitement and none of the issues -- it should have been an easy decision.  But rape and sexual assault are all too common in our culture.  They are usually committed in remote locations, selected for privacy, and for many real women the cavalry doesn't arrive in time.  If we consider rape too terrible to inflict on a fictional character, what does that say to all the real victims; the ones who have to deal with all the emotions and misplaced guilt and unanswerable questions?  We decided it wasn't fair to flinch away and take the easy path.  We're still not sure it was a wise decision, but I think it was the right one.

Shy

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2008, 03:41:04 pm »
The odd thing was that the rape scene didn't bother me that much, it was done perfect... eek that sounds bad but she wrote it very well. The after affects of what happened were very ineresting also- how Mercy felt ashamed and guilty while she was still suffering from the after affects of the goblets power.       

I had been trying to figure out how the pick Adam or Sam thing was going to be worked out and wow it was done so simply, and I wasn't expecting it to be simple like that, which was a nice surpirse.

Zee, what color was he again, wasn't it teak... and I feel real stupid but is that a brownish color I keep thinking of the color teal.  ???

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2008, 04:06:03 pm »
Shy, I agree with you about the rape scene. I think Patty was incredibly brave for even adding it. There's such a huge amount of sensitivity that is required, not many could pull it off. Also, to deny that horrible things happen to wonderful people is a slap in the face to victims world wide. I think it was like you said, perfect.

And yes, teak is brown.  ;D
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Shy

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2008, 04:51:19 pm »
Yes, they do happen to wonderful people and its awful. Plus Mercy rape had a ripple effect that was very realistic, and it was an eye opener about why Ben was the way he is, that yes the same thing can happen to men.

Thanks, that was really buging me when I was trying form a mental picture of Zee, he kept popping in my head as a teal color, which of course is all wrong. :D   

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2008, 07:17:32 am »
I agree with Shy about the ripple affect as well- I just realised something else- Not only this will affect Mercy, but her family, Pack, Adam and Sam, Zee and even Stefan. They are will be going through similar emotions with guilt and anger because of the fact they should be there to protect her. But I also think there might be positive things coming out of Mercy's ordeal- It will definitely make her stronger, shes not the type to let this get to her and that ending showed that. Its great to see that  Adam who, can be dominant is aware of not 'forcing' her to do things against her will even though he had to persuade her to drink from the cup again. You could see and feel his torment there. I think in some ways the aftermath was harder to read than the acutal rape. It was difficult because I was so invested in characters and in the plot - and I felt like I was going through the same things that Mercy and the others were feeling. And that is a good sign of  a fantastic book!.

And dealing about the angst- I dont know if anyone who saw Farscape- but the main Hero gets raped in similar circumstances to Mercy. The woman who raped him  used this pheromone and it made him submit to her against his will. Although the producers could have could have made a big issue - they didnt. There were small signs of him suffering the affects of PTSD but it wasnt overt but the audience could see this- there was also a parallel with the rape of one his shipmates - and they could see and relate to each other because of what they went through. I thought it was really well done, and I think that the series is going to be more along those lines even though the book consisted with dark themes- I really felt that ending was positive. And if Mercy's mum shows up, I can just imagine the humour and chaos thats going to happen. :)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

jenglows

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2008, 02:17:38 pm »
I was really hoping for Sam, but I am so completely satisfied with the way it turned out! I wasn't a huge Adam fan until I read Iron Kissed - but I've been swept up in the Adam Camp I think :) He was amazing through all the events in the book!  I am still hoping that Sam finds himself head-over-heels for someone soon.  I really want him to find a HEA too :)