Author Topic: [Mercy #3] Iron Kissed Discussion  (Read 86405 times)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
Re: Iron Kissed Discussion
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2007, 03:20:38 pm »
With Mike's kind permission - there was a post he wrote yesterday regarding the rape and the very frustrating ending of Iron Kissed.  :o
I was about to reply to the post before the board went down but it was saved in cache thingy (yeah I am technically minded :(). I managed to copy and paste it to a friend who couldnt view the page. I later lost the whole page :P
 But she sent me a thank you reply this morning and Nifty and Mike's posts were saved. So YAY
Its a bit spoilery for the next book but dont take this as CANON - things could change especially that Patty just started writing Mercy 4.

Quote from: Nifty on Today at 10:27:46 AM
I wouldn't want to see them move in together yet.  I know that Adam loves Mercy and vice-versa, and I know they're mated, but they've just acknowledged their feelings for one another.  Seems like they still have some "getting to know you" to do.  I know that sounds weird, all things considered, but that's how I see it.  I would imagine that Mercy would feel a bit "taken over" if suddenly Adam was pushing for cohabitation.

Plus, Adam has Jesse.  I just DON'T see Mercy rushing to get married any time soon, and I have a hard time seeing Adam -- traditional, from-another-era Adam -- shacking up with somebody while his 15-year-old daughter is in the house.  That just seems counter to what I've come to think about Adam as a man and as a father.  With Charles and Anna, I do think it's different.  For one thing, they're unencumbered by responsibilities like children.  But also, Anna is very different from Mercy.  She's learning to stand on her own and gaining some self-confidence, but the Anna in Alpha and Omega was not nearly as independent as Mercy, nor as self-reliant.  (Mostly probably because she wasn't given a chance to be, with the way she was treated in Leo's pack.)  Mercy's independence at this point is more innate and self-driven, but Anna's burgeoning independence and confidence seems more tied to Charles...like he's showing her HOW to stand on her own two feet.

Mike's reply:

Since we're in a spoiler's thread, let me just confirm your suspicions.  They are mated, they're going to eventually get married and try for the traditional HEA (of course, their lives will be a little more complicated than the average couple's).  But, despite the last sentence or two in Iron Kissed, it's too soon for them to jump into bed and call it a marriage.  They both a little time to ease into the next phase of the relationship, and all the changes that entails (for example, why should Mercy keep working at the little shop when Adam is doing so well financially . . . but try to imagine him suggesting that she hang up her wrenches, get her hair done, and go shopping with Honey.  )
The first scene in the next book picks up right where Iron kissed left off -- the make-out scene in Adam's house.  But remember the newspaper article about Mercy being raped?  That sudden spray of gravel in the driveway can only be . . . Mercy's mother.   

But I thought this would help clarify a few things - I know some people were not clear on the ending. But Mike states that although it looked like things were getting heated Adam was never going to rush Mercy or let her rush things. He is also pretty perceptive and is aware of what Mercy is going through. They are going to take time and let things evolve naturally especially after what happened but also they are both have to learn from each other build their relationship. Can I just add is this going to be a running in-joke that when things get heated between them-  are they  going to get interrupted again!  LOL :D
In addition Mercy will bounce back but thats not saying she wont be feeling the affects of the rape-- but next book will be more upbeat! And in that last scene Mercy didnt let Tim win - shes a fighter and a true heroine.
I hated what happened to Mercy and that rape scene and the following aftermath was really emotional - and although it was tough reading about what happened but it shows how much I cared about the characters. And it made the book seem more real I know some authors would have got Adam or the pack to save the day or Mercy herself, which in some ways would have been a cop out because that is not what usually happens in real life.

Edited: ooops sorry folks I forgot to add the second bit of Mike's reply
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:09:58 pm by Has »
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2007, 03:25:17 pm »
Anyway, I was wondering and I'm not sure where to ask this - but IK and The Alpha and Omega is taking place around the same time, right? I can't wait for Cry Wolf - Ana and Charle's story has already ripped its claws into my gut and will not let go! ;D I can't believe I have to wait until August though, that's just horrible.

Jane, actually the events of Alpha and Omega take place at about the same time that Moon Called takes place.  Bran mentions that he's going to send Charles (and two others -- although we know from reading A&O that he sent only Charles) to Chicago to find out what Leo was up to.  So A&O is happening during Moon Called.  I'm not sure what the timing of Cry Wolf (the next Charles and Anna) book is, but the excerpt I read has it starting with a funeral...and I kind of wonder if the funeral is Gerry's or Dr. Wallace's -- both of whom were killed at the end of Moon Called.  If that's the case, then you gotta figure that the Charles & Anna series is a bit behind the Mercy series, timewise.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2007, 03:26:17 pm »
Can I just add is this going to be a running in-joke that when things get heated between them-  are they  going to get interrupted again! 

Heatus interruptus.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Jane

• Tool Wrangler
    • See Jane Score
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 03:27:45 pm »
Nifty - I forgot about that part in Moon Called but now things do make sense, thanks!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2007, 03:31:44 pm »
Can I just add is this going to be a running in-joke that when things get heated between them-  are they  going to get interrupted again! 

Heatus interruptus.

LOL  good one!

I wonder if the timeline is going to even out- thats got to be hard to figure when, who or where characters and in what places they are in.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2007, 03:49:16 pm »
I am just so grateful the decision was mutual between Mercy and Sam.  I’ve become rather attached to Sam and I didn’t think he would survive if it hadn’t been mutual.  I don’t think he will be well until he finds his mate, but I’m so grateful things are resolved between him and Mercy. 

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2007, 05:39:14 pm »
What do you guys think of starting a timeline over on the Mercy's World section? I think it'd be pretty helpful keeping track of the when of things. :)

I'll just add my 0.02 about IK. How much I love, love, loved it. So many great little moments. The triangle was settled in a way that keeps me loving Sam as a character which I appreciate.

I have to say I'm kinda worried about the fae making anchors in North America, that can't be a good thing.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Mandy

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2007, 08:15:08 pm »
I am just so grateful the decision was mutual between Mercy and Sam.  I’ve become rather attached to Sam and I didn’t think he would survive if it hadn’t been mutual.  I don’t think he will be well until he finds his mate, but I’m so grateful things are resolved between him and Mercy. 

You took the words right out of my brain!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2007, 08:39:59 pm »
And here I don't think he'll be well until he stops /looking/ for a mate. He needs to stop assuming having a mate would fix everything.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2007, 08:46:37 pm »
And here I don't think he'll be well until he stops /looking/ for a mate. He needs to stop assuming having a mate would fix everything.
I was just discussing this with a friend, liek 2 seconds ago.  If you can't be comfortable in your own skin (figuratively that is), another person can't fix that. You make your own happiness.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

Mandy

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2007, 08:57:24 pm »
I don't know. I actually think him having a living child that could be turned into a were and survive would make him well. Between his age and all of his children’s deaths is what I believe has made him so ill. I think a mate who loves him and that he loves in return and could also provide him a child like that would be the best remedy. Trying to find a mate like that would be sort of like making his own happiness. So really I think he would need both a mate and children to survive, seeing how he would be happy with children and a mate whom he loves and loves him back. But that is just my opinion.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2007, 09:04:28 pm »
Has he thought about adoption?

Mandy

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2007, 09:08:06 pm »
Has he thought about adoption?

hmmm that would work. Just as long as the kid would survive the Change, but hmmm adoption is always an option!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2007, 09:09:25 pm »
*grin* I still don't think having a mate/kid would help him all that much. Though it might give him more of a reason to make an effort.

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2007, 09:10:26 pm »
I think it would help if the kid was his own though...but I havent read IK yet so Im just goin off of MC and BB :(