Author Topic: [Mercy #3] Iron Kissed Discussion  (Read 85052 times)

Kravbeast

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Iron Kissed Discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 06:09:29 am »
For the last month I've been driving mad every employee of B&N, Borders and every other bookstore in my area. I'm sure by now they recognized my voice as well as the question that would follow because yesterday before I finished saying hello, the nice employee from Border said, "you're the Iron Kissed lady..." 

Nevertheless, her name is Valerie and she's a gem. I must talk to her manager. She told me that her store (The Borders in the mall) had not received Iron Kissed but the one in Preston did. She found out this for little ol' me. Isn't she a darling?  So I called Preston, found out that they had only one left, went into a total panic until they guaranteed that they would hold and drove down immediately to get it. No breakfast, no make up, forget about the hair, and I think I wore one blue sock with the other red. BUT I now have in my possession a copy of Iron Kissed. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Naturally, the boys know that their mother will fall in a catatonic state until "she's" read THAT book. There will be no meals until I've finished. No sign of life until I've finished. The boys are so grateful...

Talking_Mouse

• Grease Monkey
  • Never underestimate the power of words.
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 07:13:44 am »
Bran is a BARD?!?!  This is a very interesting tidbit on my favorite secondary character.  Is he the the kind of singer who knows tales, custom, and verse (his own and other peoples)  and would, in other times, have gone from both court and village singing, carrying news, and settling disputes (since he knows custom and his person is inviolate) or is he the seerer who sees visions/is god(dess) touched and, in other times, would advise leaders or villages, act in some ways a priest, and also tells tales and sings.  Both are the storehouse of tales and knowledge, so the seeing through Samuel's eyes could work with either.  For someone who almost had the given name of Gwynedd (my mother had visions of me in kindergarden trying to tell how my name was said and spelled and thankfully went with something less exiotic) finding out Bran is a bard is great fun. 

Without doubt my favorite scene is the Adam Ben scene  near the end.  Ben has shown that he is willing to die for Adam.  My thought is that he sees Adam as the father who would have protected him from the woman who abused him. I'm with Nifty in normally thinking abuser=male but in Ben's case I agree with Nifty that the abuser was female.  Here is where Ben proves he cares more about Adam then he does himself.  He knows Mercy is important to Adam, and is willing to risk his life (Adam could have killed him), to make Adam understand what is going through Mercy's thought/emotion process. Adam then verifies to Ben why he is the wolf Ben would be wiling to die for, by both understanding in terms of Mercy's rape, but also Ben's rapes.  Calling the Alpha power, so Ben knows in his soul that Adam does consider it rapes, and still loves Ben (hug and talk of overcoming childhood trama) validates everything an Alpha should be (Ben is his child to love feed and protect).

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 08:37:24 am »
I am glad you got a copy Kravbeast ;D

I think you are right Talking_Mouse  about Bran being a Bard . It sounds more like he is  a seer- it seems like he knows when people are in trouble or up to trouble - although that could be his reputation  :D. But I have a feeling that he is psychic and has the ability of seeing glimpses of the future or senses things. He was also right about the fae anchors/reservations so he has indepth knowledge of the fae and what they are like- I wonder if the mythology of the fae and the werewolves are interlinked somehow in the past?
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 08:55:07 am »
Speaking of Ben and Adam at the end....  

I loved the hug between them after Ben chewed Adam's ear off, and risked getting his butt kicked in the process.  I liked how Mercy stated that the hug was not something you'd see between heterosexual human males.  

The other day, I was working at the bookstore and I walked by my friend Georgine -- a 65-year-old Hungarian woman who is my hero; what an amazing life she's lived!! -- and I scrunged her on her back for a minute or so...gave her a quick rub and scratch and just a good, massaging scrunge, and she all but purred like a cat under my hands.  She thanked me later and said that's one of the things she misses about Europe:  in Europe, she said, you can touch another person without it having sexual innuendo or implications, and Europeans touch all the time.  She said that American's don't touch.  We'll touch our family members and maybe ourclosest friends, but otherwise we don't touch and she thinks that's sad.  (I agree with her -- both that we don't touch AND that that's sad!)

I've always noticed in reading fantasy over the years that the characters -- especially the men -- touch more.  Heck, they even kiss occasionally -- again, not in a sexual way.  But there's more physical connection among them...and in urban fantasy, with werewolves and other shifters, you're seeing it more and more.  And it's almost as if the physical touch helps to cement the relationships and the strength of the pack.  After all, animals touch...they groom one another as part of their social structure, spending hours each day sometimes in physical contact with one another.  But humans, as a rule, simply don't.  (Which is probably why we pay to have massages...or why we ladies often say that the scalp massage is the best part of getting our hair cut.)

I know that I live alone -- no spouse; no kids -- and if it weren't for my dog, I'd be completely without physical contact and touch.  I take great comfort in the fact that I can cuddle up with my dog and stroke him...but still...that's not the same as human contact.

Anyway...it was just something that registered with me during that scene.  (Sometimes I like the subtle stuff more than the action scenes.  I just went to see I Am Legend and found that I preferred the first half of the movie, with Will Smith's character focusing on the "normal" routine of his survival, more interesting than the second half that had all the action.)
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 09:09:31 am »
I wonder if the mythology of the fae and the werewolves are interlinked somehow in the past?

Well...if you read the Arthurian take on werewolves, it's a bit different than the modern take.  The original Sir Marrok became a werewolf because he was cursed by his wife.  He didn't get the lycanthropy by being bit; rather, it was magic.  She hid his clothing, thus ensuring that he stayed in wolf form for seven years (or whatever it was).  But how did she curse him?   Where did she get the mojo?  So perhaps the fae WERE involved.  Maybe over the centuries, the werewolf "infection" altered.  Now it's physical as much as it is magical -- it can be transmitted via a bite, like a physical infection.  With the Arthurian werewolves, they could only change if they were naked.  They had to remove all their clothes first.  But Mercy's werewolves can change if they're clothed -- it just makes the process harder and more painful.

I'm still holding onto my suspicion that Bran is the original Sir Marrok, and not merely named for him.  I thought it was interesting at one point in the story when Uncle Mike calls Samuel "Samuel Marrokson."  Samuel, son of Marrok.  We know that Mercy knows Sam as "Samuel Llewellyn Cornick" -- the three-named deal being very Western-world modern -- but maybe "Samuel Marrokson" is more correct.   After all, if Bran and Sam ARE that old -- going back to Arthurian times -- they wouldn't really have an official last name.  Their "last name" if they had one would be tied to what they did for a job or where they were from...or who the father is.  I don't know how old Uncle Mike is, but it's reasonable to me that he would know Sam as "Samuel Marrokson" because that's who he knew him as centuries before.  Also, it's obvious the fae have great respect for Bran -- and perhaps a little healthy fear, in that they view him as a worthy enemy.  When Sam tells Nemane that Bran would not like it if the fae killed Mercy, since he views her as his daughter, that gave Nemane pause.  I think it was more than just her not wanting to start a war between the fae and the wolves.  But the wolves have magic of their own -- ESPECIALLY Bran. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 09:14:24 am by Nifty »
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 09:10:30 am »
I think thats more like continental Europe than Britain  :D - I think here in the UK its more like the US.

However I loved that whole scene. It was really intense and gut wrenching, especially with Ben's revelations and despite his attitude he knows he has found an alpha that he can trust, respect and maybe love. But I also believe that he has bonded in some ways with Mercy - she can understand to some extent of what he is feeling and I think he admires her but wont admit it to her LOL And its not only Ben though the rest of the pack like Adam, Honey's conversation illustrated this when she felt that Mercy was playing games with the him and the pack.

I also love in Paranormal/Urban fantasy books that men and women can be really affectionate and convey any sexuality - another good example of this Nalini Singh's Psy series. And its great to have to have a cuddle or a hug especially when you really need one. :)
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2007, 09:16:05 am »
I wonder if the mythology of the fae and the werewolves are interlinked somehow in the past?

Well...if you read the Arthurian take on werewolves, it's a bit different than the modern take.  The original Sir Marrok became a werewolf because he was cursed by his wife.  He didn't get the lycanthropy by being bit; rather, it was magic.  She hid his clothing, thus ensuring that he stayed in wolf form for seven years (or whatever it was).  But how did she curse him?   Where did she get the mojo?  So perhaps the fae WERE involved.  Maybe over the centuries, the werewolf "infection" altered.  Now it's physical as much as it is magical -- it can be transmitted via a bite, like a physical infection.  With the Arthurian werewolves, they could only change if they were naked.  They had to remove all their clothes first.  But Mercy's werewolves can change if they're clothed -- it just makes the process harder and more painful.

I'm still holding onto my suspicion that Bran is the original Sir Marrok, and not merely named for him.  I thought it was interesting at one point in the story when Uncle Mike calls Samuel "Samuel Marrokson."  Samuel, son of Marrok.  We know that Mercy knows Sam as "Samuel Llewellyn Cornick" -- the three-named deal being very Western-world modern -- but maybe "Samuel Marrokson" is more correct.   After all, if Bran and Sam ARE that old -- going back to Arthurian times -- they wouldn't really have an official last name.  Their "last name" if they had one would be tied to what they did for a job or where they were from...or who the father is.  I don't know how old Uncle Mike is, but it's reasonable to me that he would know Sam as "Samuel Marrokson" because that's who he knew him as centuries before.

I totally agree- and I think that the magics of the fae, the werewolves and although the Walkers are not linked with Western Europe perhaps metaphysically speaking, their magical roots are shared in some wierd ways. I think there was a suggestion that Mercy's power was more like the fae than the werewolves so perhaps in some ways that was the way the werewolves changed before it became warped. Interesting thoughts!!!

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 10:03:17 am »
Anyway...it was just something that registered with me during that scene.  (Sometimes I like the subtle stuff more than the action scenes.  I just went to see I Am Legend and found that I preferred the first half of the movie, with Will Smith's character focusing on the "normal" routine of his survival, more interesting than the second half that had all the action.)

I agree with you, that was one of the best parts of the movie. ^^

Mandy

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 07:57:55 am »
Ok well since there is a thread dedicated to who everyone thinks Mercy should or will choose, I think there should be one discussing her choice! I realize not everyone has gotten or read the book IK yet, so hopefully everyone has seen the SPOILERS warning up top.

Well I always wanted Sam to win, I kinda had a soft spot for him, but I also really liked Adam. I was really worried how it would turn out, whether one died fighting, one end up hating Mercy, or some other bad scenario. I really like how Sam isn't out of the picture, and has stop chasing Mercy. I think now that Adam is the right choice for her...and Sam will have to find another Walker to fall in love with!

mystify

• Mechanic
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 08:21:52 am »
So I finished it last night. I wasn't going to go to sleep until I had. Now I'm sad because it's over but what a great book. I agree with most of what has been said here. One other thing I really liked about this book was how much I learned about the fae and I loved the part where Mercy went to the reservation and went Underhill...or however they put it. I don't have my book near me right now. Anyway that part was great. Also, I really didn't miss the vampires at all. I'm very excited to see where the series goes from here.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 12:01:04 pm »
I think now that Adam is the right choice for her...and Sam will have to find another Walker to fall in love with!

Naw, that would make it too easy!

But I agree, I like how she concluded the love triangle.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 12:36:23 pm »
I think that Sam is going to have even more a tough time- especially now that he realises that his feelings for Mercy is not what him or his wolf thinks it is. Although it helps that he regards her as a packmate- Mercy regards that something in him is broken and even if he finds  another Walker  I doubt that is the answer. He needs to truly love someone and vise versa, He saw Mercy and having kids as a  lifeline but I think now that he knows the truth perhaps he can realise what he really needs and not what he think he wants.

Mandy

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 12:53:44 pm »
Also, I really didn't miss the vampires at all. I'm very excited to see where the series goes from here.

I have to agree, the vampires really aren't my favorite group of people. I do like Stefan, but other than him...eh I like the weres better. I really wonder what the next book will be about. The first was centered around the weres, the second around the vamps, and the third around the fae. I wonder what the fourth will be about? Walkers...maybe skinwalkers? And I also noticed that Patty didn't talk about the young girl that was turned very young in the second book. I can't remember her name, but her father had gone to Mercy to find out who could help his daughter b/c keeping her caged up wasn't working. I wonder if that girl will be in later books. I hope so b/c I would like to know a little more about her and what happens to her.

Mike Briggs

• Administrator
  • Auto-Zauberer
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 02:09:54 pm »
You'll see more of both the vampires and the girl (Kera Black, or something like that) in future books.  Remember that Iron Kissed was, chronologically speaking, a very fast book, taking place over just a couple of weeks.  One thing that makes my head hurt is the time offset between the "Mercy" series and the "Charles and Anna" series.  Things happen in the Mercy series that I keep thinking should impact the Anna and Charles series, and then I realize that they haven't happened yet.  This idea of setting two series in the same world, with a few shared characters (like Bran) is crazy.  Having them offset a few months in time is even crazier.   Every time you turn around you're finding that, "no, Bran can't be in Aspen Creek at this time, he was supposed to be in the Tri Cities, or at some conference somewhere.   
Where's my super-suit?

Jane

• Tool Wrangler
    • See Jane Score
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 02:57:55 pm »
Today I had the wonderful luck of finding Iron Kissed at my local B&N while browsing.

I, of course, had to buy it and I just finished it and OMYGOD. LOVED IT. It made me laugh, it definitely made me cry, but it was the BEST book I've read in a long time. I'm still in awed a bit that it was so good because c'mon, Blood Bound and Moon Called were pretty kick-ass, I had no doubt IK would be good too but .. okay, I have no words. It's that good! [/fangirl moment]

The scene with Ben broke my freaking heart - this is the part where I was already bawling. I've always kinda liked him and this just made me like him ever more. And I'm SO SO glad Mercy choose Adam!

Anyway, I was wondering and I'm not sure where to ask this - but IK and The Alpha and Omega is taking place around the same time, right? I can't wait for Cry Wolf - Ana and Charle's story has already ripped its claws into my gut and will not let go! ;D I can't believe I have to wait until August though, that's just horrible.

Nifty, I'd have to agree with you, I'm not European but I'm also not American and I'm so used to kissing and hugging my close friends but some of them are American and it makes them uncomfortable which in turn makes me uncomfortable because that's how I express my affection. :-\