Author Topic: [Mercy #3] Iron Kissed Discussion  (Read 85605 times)

Mandy

Re: Iron Kissed Discussion
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2007, 09:18:41 pm »
I just found this on the thread from Sam's I.D.:

First wife died of cholera, his second of old age. His third wife died in childbirth. His wives miscarried eighteen children between them; a handful died in infancy, and only eight lived to their third birthday. One died of old age, four of the plague, three of failing the Change. He has no living children and only one, born before Samuel Changed, made it into adulthood.pg99-MC

I think that would be enough for anyone to go a little crazy, or at least me, because I counted at least 39 children dead, give or take some.

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2007, 11:03:47 pm »
Wow.  Sam has had quite the history and I’m ashamed to say I overlooked most of it.   :-[

Zealith has a point.  He needs to come to terms with himself first.  I have always thought he should be a foster-father to all the young werewolves who are changed too early and need guidance.  He needs a purpose in his life more than anything. 

This is why I love these books!  There is so much depth to all the characters! 

Talking_Mouse

• Grease Monkey
  • Never underestimate the power of words.
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2007, 11:06:51 pm »
I hate to sound unsympathetic to Samuel’s plight, because I am not, however I think we need to remember how many children normally died before reaching their 3 birthday, before modern medicine made infant mortality something we measure in the under 10 in 1000.  More than ½ of the children born didn’t make it to their 3 birthdays.  Look at some of the genealogies of families in the 1600s to get an idea of how fragile babies (and women in childbirth) were.  Take my own family, in what is now Poland as an example, starting in 1718 out of 13 live births (to 2 different wives after the first died in childbirth) 6 made it to age 5, and of those 6 only 4 made it to having kids of their own.   

On to Samuel and Mercy and Samuel’s wolf.  I think in this instance the wolf is smarter than the man.  Samuel’s wolf knows he needs a mate – someone to complement and complete him, not just someone to breed with.  Samuel’s wolf felt sorry for Mercy, which is not the overriding emotion one should feel for a mate.  Samuel either needs an older female werewolf or a human.  For the werewolf it needs to be someone who remembers the things Samuel remembers, like Lincoln’s assignation, what the forest looked like before cars were invented, etc.  True she could not give him children, however she could complement him in being much nearer his equal than a much younger human bride would be able.  I tend to like this idea better than having a human female who could have human children with Samuel.  However, this may be the only route that Samuel the man can see.  As a dominant wolf he wants to protect and protecting a human bride may fulfill this need, since he is not in a pack and protecting his packmates who submit to him. 

With the werewolves outed it may be easier to adopt a human child, or several human children for that matter. Samuel is not outed as a wolf, yet.  However, if he is both money and position are helpful for dealing with authorities.   Samuel has the money, and standing as a doctor, to get an adoption pushed through more quickly than it would normally be done. 

Now here is a slightly radical idea, why can’t Samuel take and “raise” some of the younger werewolves.  I get the feeling that Ben is a young man, and there have to be other rather young werewolves.  I know Kara is an exception, being Changed at 10, however if there are other 15 or 16 year old werewolves that Samuel could “raise” he could be their father in most things but biology.  This would give him “children” that would live a long life, although they would not be children of his body.

Talking_Mouse

• Grease Monkey
  • Never underestimate the power of words.
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2007, 11:08:44 pm »
I have always thought he should be a foster-father to all the young werewolves who are changed too early and need guidance.  He needs a purpose in his life more than anything. 

GMTA.  You did your post while I was composing mine.

Gwendolynn

• Tinker
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2007, 11:15:20 pm »
I have always thought he should be a foster-father to all the young werewolves who are changed too early and need guidance.  He needs a purpose in his life more than anything. 

GMTA.  You did your post while I was composing mine.
I was just thinking that we must have posted at the same time.

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2007, 11:56:38 pm »

"I hated what happened to Mercy and that rape scene and the following aftermath was really
[/quote]

I love Patty. I love how I hear her in what she writes, her character, her sense of humor.  But I put the book down when I got to the rape.  It took me a day to decide to go back and finish it.  I just kept thinking there had to be another way.  Life is hard enough as it is.
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

nottled

• Mechanic
  • Sexy Fat Chick
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2007, 08:17:39 am »
Rape is a terrible, cowardly, awful effin' thing. Whether it's molestation of one who doesn't know any better or outright force on someone who is kicking and screaming. I think it was a beautiful moment, when Ben explained to Adam what it is to be a victim.

How the victim will first and foremost seek to blame themselves. If they thought they'd lead the person on, they'd dressed provocatively, they didn't fight hard enough....whatever the reason, there is a feeling of 'I LET this happen to me.'

I loved Ben's bitter, wry, vulnerable, confession. It was heartbreaking and true and I absolutely loved it. 

He's what I like to call a 'river pebble person.' --A small thing that is one of so many, ravaged by the elements into something hard and beautiful.
Damn it, I am pleasant!

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2007, 09:43:18 am »
Spoilers
Ok..Patty has written a Mercy book that has dealt with Werewolves, Vampires and then the Fae. What do you think will be next? One with walkers or Skin Walkers? The Fae book, who sicked Fidael on Mercy? I think it was him right after the ocean scene. Was it the sea king?

Jane

• Tool Wrangler
    • See Jane Score
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2007, 11:20:26 am »
I think next maybe she meets another walker. Oohh, that'd be great!! and of course the vampire would come into play 'cause they want to kill him/her (the walker) and Mercy would get in the middle of trouble, of course.

opramum

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2007, 11:28:45 am »
Ok..Patty has written a Mercy book that has dealt with Werewolves, Vampires and then the Fae. What do you think will be next? One with walkers or Skin Walkers? The Fae book, who sicked Fidael on Mercy? I think it was him right after the ocean scene. Was it the sea king?

Worse.  The next one will be Mercy's mother.
Esteemed member of the SOOGA

Perkinator

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2007, 11:50:55 am »

Worse.  The next one will be Mercy's mother.

Moms are scary in their own right.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2007, 04:26:40 pm »
Spoilers

That sea fae was pretty scary in a way and I think he was a Grey Lord- I dont think that some of the fae are going to be please that Mercy knows their secret about Underhill and the anchors. And I think they know that she told Sam who would tell Bran about the anchors. It was stated in the book that even if you mention or talk about the fae they would know about it. Will there be a rising tension between the wolves and fae or would they be allies especially with the growth of the anti supernatural groups.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Mandy

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2007, 05:21:04 pm »
The Fae book, who sicked Fidael on Mercy? I think it was him right after the ocean scene. Was it the sea king?

I don't think anyone sicked Fidael on Mercy if I remember correctly. I thought that he knew that she was not to be harmed b/c Nemane had told all the fae not to kill her b/c of Sam, Adam, and Bran. Fidael went to her out of his own will to kill her b/c he missed the flesh of humans. After he killed her he was planning on telling the fae that he was unaware that the death sentence on Mercy had been canceled. I doubt if someone did tell Fidael to kill her that it was the sea king. The sea king is one of the Grey Lords so he would have been one of the people saying no one should harm Mercy, not sending out people to kill her. But hey, you never know.

I loved Ben's bitter, wry, vulnerable, confession. It was heartbreaking and true and I absolutely loved it. 

He's what I like to call a 'river pebble person.' --A small thing that is one of so many, ravaged by the elements into something hard and beautiful.

I really like the way you described him as a 'river pebble person'. I'll have to remember that saying!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:32:48 pm by Mandy »

Mandy

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2007, 05:26:41 pm »
You'll see more of both the vampires and the girl (Kera Black, or something like that) in future books.  Remember that Iron Kissed was, chronologically speaking, a very fast book, taking place over just a couple of weeks.  One thing that makes my head hurt is the time offset between the "Mercy" series and the "Charles and Anna" series.  Things happen in the Mercy series that I keep thinking should impact the Anna and Charles series, and then I realize that they haven't happened yet.  This idea of setting two series in the same world, with a few shared characters (like Bran) is crazy.  Having them offset a few months in time is even crazier.   Every time you turn around you're finding that, "no, Bran can't be in Aspen Creek at this time, he was supposed to be in the Tri Cities, or at some conference somewhere.   

Thanks for clearing that up Mike ;D! Poor Patty, I hope her brain won't overload with all that thinking she will have to do :(! A timeline would help. Well I'm glad that we'll be seeing more of Kera, she seems like an interesting character!

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2007, 05:30:39 pm »
I think its Kara although I am not too sure - although there seems to be loads of Kara's in Mercy's universe I think I am getting them confused with each other. :P
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D