Author Topic: [Mercy #3] Iron Kissed Discussion  (Read 86668 times)

readalot

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Iron Kissed Discussion
« Reply #225 on: December 08, 2010, 09:52:37 pm »
I think this book is simply amazing, i love you Ms. Briggs remains true to her characters while also allowing them to have growth. I really liked how she ended up with adam(sooo obvious!) I also really liked how we were able to learn more about the fae.

My favorite part of the book is when Mercy smashes Tim up! Ms. Briggs was able to do what so many other authors have most spatacularly failed at. She did justice to the event. Tim made mercy love and want him. Yet still she faught. (as is her nature) The scene was overly descriptive, (which is just sicking...do we really NEED the details?) After Mercy freed her self from him she felt shame/deppresion/desperation. All are feeling which most rape victums feel. The feelings wernt downplayed or glossed over, which is refreshing. It was also realistic on how she wanted to disapear/run away.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2010, 05:39:14 pm »
Readalot, I really enjoyed that aspect of the book as well! I'm almost finished with this one will be back later with more!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #227 on: December 30, 2010, 07:12:03 am »
<<The scene was overly descriptive, (which is just sicking...do we really NEED the details?) >>

I didn't find it to be particularly descriptive, myself.  For the most part, I thought Patty shielded us from the details.  There were a
few times when she'd bring us back to the scene with a few choice graphic descriptors, but then she'd remove us from the action again.

For me, it was like I was "watching" the scene through an opaque veil that obscured the details. I could still hear some sounds and
see some shadows, so I knew what was happening, and it was horrific, but at the same time everything was muzzy.  And then there'd
be this startling moment when the veil disappeared and everything was crystal clear for a second before the veil dropped again. 
As a reader, I found that to be very effective because it protected and distanced me from the worst of the scene, but still managed
to convey the horror of what was happening to Mercy.

I remember thinking that after I read the scene, I was struck by how well it had been WRITTEN.

For various reasons, Iron Kissed is still my favorite of the 5 books so far.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #228 on: December 30, 2010, 09:19:23 am »
Finished Iron Kissed last night.

Well said, Nifty! Opaque veil really works well for how I read the scene as well. I think this is the first time I've sat down and read IK from cover to cover since it first came out.
The power of it was still as sharp as it was initially.

One aspect I really enjoyed was Samuel and Mercy both realizing that they weren't meantfor each other. The Adam/Mercy scene when he persuades her to drink the fairy brew again is just so heartwrenching.
Hurog Means Dragon.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #229 on: December 30, 2010, 09:25:40 am »
I love all the scenes that people typically love, but also some of the apparently throw away bits, like the description of the gal opening the door for the meeting, with the voice that will sound about 12 her whole life.  That character sticks with you, even though she's not physically there afterward, so that even in "Bone Crossed", when the garage is painted but she doesn't physically appear, or speak, you attach it to her.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2010, 12:24:47 pm »
I remember thinking that after I read the scene, I was struck by how well it had been WRITTEN.

For various reasons, Iron Kissed is still my favorite of the 5 books so far.

Same here.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.