Author Topic: [Mercy #3] Iron Kissed Discussion  (Read 86867 times)

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
Re: Mercy's expletive substitute?
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2008, 01:33:38 am »
OMG... I am all proud... me not native speaker that I am figured it out after reading it five times *g*  but I totally understand Adam's blank face ;) ;) ;)

GW  WK  WH

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2008, 08:09:17 am »
OMG... I am all proud... me not native speaker that I am figured it out after reading it five times *g*  but I totally understand Adam's blank face ;) ;) ;)

When I read that bit - I definitely felt Adam's bemusement :D
I also have a feeling that he will have that blank face with many of his future conversations with Mercy ;D 
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2008, 08:05:03 pm »
Just read it out loud quickly (like you just stubbed a toe) and it will become clear.

Ah ah! Now I see it :) Or hear it, rather ;)
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2008, 09:12:50 pm »
Reading it fast actually worked :D  After a million times, I wish that I had known that sooner LOL

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #199 on: March 21, 2008, 02:43:39 am »
I'm so glad I was not the only one who felt like a dunce when reading that :D
But I think that was the main aim for Mercy anyway lol
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

Kiersten Walks Funny

• Tool Wrangler
  • Wannabe Supernatural Creature
    • http://www.myspace.com/kittykitty66
Re: Iron Kissed Discussion
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2008, 11:48:04 am »
woah that makes a ton of sense!  i never even thought about the fact that yelling looks like he's loosing control.

thanks patty XD

courtesy of Has

We all know these books are real, we just don't want to face it because the government keeps it all hidden.

Nifty

• Mechanic
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2008, 09:53:15 am »
My 7 and 10 year old children are expressing awareness of swearing here recently (either with "You shouldn't say that"! or testing the waters . . .), so it's time to step up efforts to make less "controversial" language choices.  I figure I'll start chanting Mercy's little ditty and a few other choice subs in my head daily in an effort to make them more "reflexive".

I love those Orbit gum commercials that have the characters swearing by using normal words. 

A woman bursts into an office holding a box. She scowlingly says to her husband: "You son of a biscuit-eating bulldog."
Husband: What the French, toast?
Wife: Did you think I wouldn't find out about your little doo doo head cootie queen?
Mistress: Who are you calling a cootie queen? You lint-licker!
Wife: Pickle you, kumquat!
Husband: You're overreacting.
Wife: No, Bill, overreacting was when I put your convertible into a wood chipper, Stinky McStinkface!
Mistress: You Hoboken.

Makes me grin everytime I see it.  Pickle you, kumquat.  Hahahahaha.
I could not deprive you of the realization of all you could accomplish together, and of a friendship that will define you both in ways you cannot begin to imagine.

jackie

• Mechanic
« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2008, 05:20:22 pm »
Americans, and to some extent, the English, are not very good at cursing and carrying on in an interesting way.  Though I've heard some really good stuff by Southern ladies and african americans.

CheeseBK

• Mechanic
  • I am from AUSTRIA. No koalas!
    • my livejournal
« Reply #203 on: April 17, 2008, 03:43:15 am »
I can swear like a sailor... in german that is of course. or rather in my austrian dialect ;)

GW  WK  WH

Good Mazoku

• lovebird
  • Tool Wrangler
  • Faint heart never won fair lady.
« Reply #204 on: April 17, 2008, 12:10:12 pm »
Americans, and to some extent, the English, are not very good at cursing and carrying on in an interesting way.  Though I've heard some really good stuff by Southern ladies and african americans.

You have no idea the stuff italian people can come up with... *mazoku shaking her head sadly* And I have to confess I can get pretty creative at times...though usually not when someone can hear me... ;)
Crazy Cat Lady on the loose. Beware.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2008, 12:30:38 pm »
You should hear some swearing/cursing in arabic- they are pretty imaginative and funny :D

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #206 on: April 17, 2008, 01:02:30 pm »
Heading over a bit too much into offtopicness.  :P

Go ahead and start a new topic in the chat section regarding international swearing. lol
Hurog Means Dragon.

lachapakhan

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2008, 08:19:42 am »
when i re-read iron kissed, i noticed something shocking, right at the very end ... maybe you all can tell me whether or not i'm imagining things.

right after mercy comes out of the bathroom, while she's mulling things over in her mind and thinking about adam, she compares adam to tim and says something like "tim was a loser anyway."

when i re-read this, it seemed suddenly like she was comparing two loves in her life ... adam and TIM. i think she still loved tim, even at the very end of the book, even though she killed him, even though he was 'a loser'.

i'm not suggesting in any manner that tim was worthy of her love, just that orfino's influence was more incredibly and horrifically, powerful than it already appeared to be.

any thoughts on the matter?

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
« Reply #208 on: May 27, 2008, 08:31:52 am »
Hi lachapakhan :)

I asked Patty about the emotional effects of the cup on Mercy. Patty explained here

Her feelins for Tim will dissipate -- though she will always remember how she felt about him.  Just like a bad relationship <grin>.  As for how she feels . . . I think by the end of Iron Kissed she is finally starting to sort things out according to her own rules.  It is never easy to kill someone (or shouldn't be, not if you are a sane and healthy individual) and so her feelings about killing him are mixed.  But not for long.  He needed neutralizing (jail or death) and to protect herself she killed him.  Not something she'll feel horrible about for the rest of her life, especially since if she hadn't killed him, Adam would have -- and the consequences would have been a lot worse for the people she loves.
Patty

http://hurog.com/forum/index.php?topic=884.0

But you are right about the power of the cup which is scary in the wrong hands - I wonder if we will see it again later in future books.
Another thing is that Mercy compares Adam to Tim even before he rapes her - I think its during that moment that she realises and admits to herself that she loves him because although the cup/Tim is forcing her to 'love' him- she constantly refers back to Adam and how he wont want her again.

Iris101

• Mechanic
« Reply #209 on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:03 pm »
I wonder if Adam is just going to bottle it all up inside of him now, or do you guys think they'll actually talk about it or will Adam be to afraid of scaring her away if he tries to bring it up?