Author Topic: Adam/Christy Marriage & Divorce  (Read 32135 times)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
Re: Adam/Christy Marriage & Divorce
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2008, 02:05:46 pm »
I can't imagine Bran not becoming involved.  Considering the fact that case law determines so much in the judicial system, Bran would surely step in to prevent the passage of a judgement that could separate weres from their children as a matter of course during a divorce.
Interesting point there, didn't think about the possible weight early court cases against weres could gain.

I think that the question I come up with is whether Washington (my home state, & I don't know) has an 'emancipated minor' option like I've seen used in some shows taking place in New York.  If so, I can see Jessie deciding to sidestep the whole thing by declaring herself as such, & moving out on both parents in an effort to cut the scuffling down.
Good question, far as I know you still have 21 as legal age in the US so I wonder if she at age 16 would be legaly allowed to live on her own.

Edit:
Okay I looked it up, it's in the Revised Code of Washington:
RCW 13.64.010
Declaration of emancipation. 

Any minor who is sixteen years of age or older and who is a resident of this state may petition in the superior court for a declaration of emancipation.

[1993 c 294 § 1.]
She actually could go that way, good calling Patti.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 02:16:32 pm by Gerd D. »
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2008, 02:18:17 pm »
Unfortunately, Gerd, it's not that simple.  Different states (divisions of the US) have different laws about what you can do when.  Driving is legal at 16 in most states, but I understand New York, at least in the city, won't allow it.  Voting & military service are legal at 18, but drinking alcohol is illegal until 21.  I just recently read a long debate about the cult in Texas.  The law was only changed there a couple of years ago to raise the -parent approved- age of marriage from fourteen to 16.
And there are those 'emancipated minor' things.  This was visible as far back as the movie "Irreconcilable Differences", with Ryan O'neal.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Rob

• lovebird
  • Grease Monkey
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2008, 02:35:40 pm »
I believe one of the requirements for being emancipated is that you be able to provide a living for yourself (job, residence, and neccesities).  She would be allowed to live on her, if she was able to provide for herself.  She would only be emancipated if she could provide for herself.  As for drinking and driving,she wouldn't be allowed to do those until she reached te legal age.  The courts don't consider those important to providing a living for one's self.  There is always public transportation or other means that adults make use of.  The only age-liimited things that would be bypassed by her emancipation would be things like taxes and being able to sign legally binding documents without a guardian or parent's signature and being responsible for that signature.
Proud member of the Maulers Union Local #182.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2008, 02:53:49 pm »
And it would be simple enough for Adam, who's well off, to settle a trust on her that would allow her to get by, with only the need to have a part time job for extras like hair dye, parties, buying her own car in a couple of years, and the like.

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2008, 02:23:49 am »
I just recently read a long debate about the cult in Texas. The law was only changed there a couple of years ago to raise the -parent approved- age of marriage from fourteen to 16.
Damn, for a nation that is so quick to lecture others about democratic values America is often incredible backwards. :o

As for drinking and driving,she wouldn't be allowed to do those until she reached te legal age. The courts don't consider those important to providing a living for one's self.
Well most states don't allow you to drink and drive even if you are grown-up. *jk*

They do have a point with the drinking, not much maturity to be found in that ... however, the driving issue can become a trouble, afterall you would need to find a room and a job that can be reached by public transport within a reasonable timeframe, that's not always easy.
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
  • To live is to dance, to dance is to live.
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2008, 06:28:56 am »

Maybe I missed this in an earlier post, but I thought the age for getting a driver's licence was 16 in most states, (but maybe not in Washington?). So if Jessie could live by herself at the age of 16, she could by then also drive, and like Patti said, Adam's well enough off to get her a car and somewhere to live.

I also think that in case it came to court, Jessie would stand up for her dad, who cares for her far better than Christy, despite being a werewolf and an Alpha. Jessie is a first-hand witness to Christy's incapability of taking care of her properly (leaving here alone to go on holiday, and the thing with Christy's boyfriend - though I can't imagine that even Christy would have allowed it if she knew, but I don't remember the details, have to look it up again).

And I agree with what Jenniwee said, that it would be a bad precedent case for the werewolves' future, if Christy got custody just because Adam is a werewolf!! Although I'm not sure what Bran (or any werewolf) could do about it...
Check out my aspiring-writer's blog: http://mylinesmylife.blogspot.com/

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2008, 12:47:07 pm »
16 is legal in Washington.  And actually, "cares for her far better than Christy, despite being a werewolf and an Alpha." is bass-akward, in my opinion. 
*pulls up her soap box.*
Parents are - if they are responsible parents, unlike Christy - control freaks by definition.  That means that being a werewolf means, to me, being a natural parent.  And being an Alpha?  uber-parent. 
Except, of course, you get into that thing where you have to - not stop, there's no stopping being a parent - back off.
Lois McMasters Bujold said it in Barrayar:  "When my father was home on leave one time from the Betan Astronomical Survey, we made model gliders together.  Two things were required to get them to fly.  First we had to give them a running start.  Then we had to let them go."  She sighed.  "Learning just when to let go was the hardest part."
This is the part the werewolf -particualrly the Alpha- will have trouble with.
*steps off soapbox & offers it to next comer.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2008, 01:12:09 pm »
16 is legal in Washington.  And actually, "cares for her far better than Christy, despite being a werewolf and an Alpha." is bass-akward, in my opinion. 
Patti, with bass-awkward you mean it should be because instead of despite? Sorry, I'm just not familiar with that expression, but that's what I deducted from what you wrote after that...
I said despite because I believe humans (if it came to a court case) would only see the monster and not the good parental qualities - which you pointed out and which I totally agree with - that being a werewolf and alpha would 'endow' one with.

"Learning just when to let go was the hardest part."
This is the part the werewolf -particualrly the Alpha- will have trouble with.
I agree with this as well. Letting go, trusting your child (which, I think, parents always see as their babies, even when they have kids of their own) to take care of itself, wanting to protect it from disappointments and hurt - I imagine that to be one of the hardest things ever, especially for an uber-control-freak. But I also think that Jessie is smart and spunky enough to 'get out of Adam's clutches', so to speak (like most people eventually manage it). Especially with Mercy there to help her now...   ::) :D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:14:29 pm by Snoopy »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2008, 01:22:22 pm »
Patti, with bass-awkward you mean it should be because instead of despite? Sorry, I'm just not familiar with that expression, but that's what I deducted from what you wrote after that...
I said despite because I believe humans (if it came to a court case) would only see the monster and not the good parental qualities - which you pointed out and which I totally agree with - that being a werewolf and alpha would 'endow' one with.
I thought that was what you meant; we, readers who are on the side of the were-wolves, see the positive side of it, but the frightened people, the Lauren Society types, for instance, would see 'monster' and stop there, not thinking it through.

And here's where I go all Libra again. 
Everyone who was ever born, is someone's child - 2 'someones', in fact, although it's possible that 1 parent won't know/acknowldege/care.  So, to some extent, yes, a protective werewolf would be a nightmare monster, if *you* are a parent of someone a werewolf comes after.  Even if it's because your "baby" threatened/hurt/killed *their* baby.  This is part of where wars come from.

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2008, 01:37:40 pm »

Hm, you're right, never thought about it that way. I remember watching some movie or reading a book where someone was seeking revenge for another man killing his son, and somebody told him something like
'so you kill this guy, who murdered your son, you have your revenge. But what about this guys family? What about his father? This guy has a father, just like you are a father. He might even be a father. And a brother. And a husband.'

Argh, it's killing me that I can't remember the name, let alone if it was a movie or book...

And considering that not all werewolves have Adam's excellent control (which is actually not so excellent when it comes to Jessie, as we saw in IK, and as is the point here) this is indeed an interesting thought...

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2008, 01:41:42 pm »
What you keep me around for. . .

Snoopy

• Critique groups
  • Tinker
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2008, 02:20:53 pm »

It's a job well done.
 ;)

Has

• Global Moderator
  • Pack Member
    • Patricia Briggs Fans groups facebook page
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2008, 10:18:17 am »
And considering that not all werewolves have Adam's excellent control (which is actually not so excellent when it comes to Jessie, as we saw in IK, and as is the point here) this is indeed an interesting thought...

I think that is the weak point which The John Lauren Society types will use against Adam to try to prove their point that the supernatural beings are dangerous. I think the Mercy's attack was a good example of that - I agree that Christy will ally herself with that group because its a way to hit back against Adam and also a way for her to be vindicated about her views of their marriage especially now that Mercy is with him. That is going to be a huge kick in the teeth for her I think.
-You aren't scary.  You are a good rabid fan-Courtesy of another rabid bookpusher called E something ;D

bookaholic219

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2008, 06:30:23 am »
Yeah whats up with (christy, charity i cant remember)her? i mean we know that she lives in the middle of nowhere tried to get married in vegas a coupple of times and had mental issues but what else do we know maybe we will find out in bone crossed it is a classic twist that should never be forgotten in these kind of books.
if you have heard of the twilight saga go to :www.thetwilightsaga.com and look for me bookaholic524 on most of the posts.
p.s.twilight,mercy ,harry,and kate rock!

bookaholic219

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2008, 05:41:21 pm »
i also think that see could end up to be like leah, a person who dislikes mercy for jealousy reasons, but can never do anything about it without huge consequences
okay im having a crazy idea moment but what if leah or honey or the other women use a surrogate(spcheck) i mean it would work wouldnt it no monthly changes for the other lady so it mightbe to term. what do you think?
if you have heard of the twilight saga go to :www.thetwilightsaga.com and look for me bookaholic524 on most of the posts.
p.s.twilight,mercy ,harry,and kate rock!