Author Topic: [A&O #2] Hunting Ground Discussion  (Read 95386 times)

odile

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Hunting Ground Discussion
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »
Still wondering about Talyn's questions:
Why is it so horrible if a fae breaks his/her word? Why aren't they able to lie?

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2009, 01:48:28 pm »
It could be as simple as the idea that as long as they don't lie, people won't look too closely at what they're not saying. Or it could be similair to the moon working on werewolves. Just simply part of who they are.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2009, 02:06:29 pm »
Well, in folklore, it's frequently said that the fae can't lie or break their word.  It's never said why.  So Patty has a wide latitude in deciding that for her stories/world. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

paceberly

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2009, 03:48:22 pm »
 :-LOVE   I am absolutely in love with these books. I just wish I wouldn't have devoured Hunting Ground so quickly because now I have such a long wait for more Anna and Charles.

Tanis143

• Grease Monkey
    • My webspace
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2009, 09:29:08 pm »
Ok, not sure how the black out thingy works, so I'll post my review and hopefully a mod can catch it (and send a pm how to do that) and fix it for me.

Overall I loved the book. Another stellar work by Briggs. Though there were a few "choppy" parts (I say choppy for lack of a better word). For instance the shift between Anna and Charles in the hotel working on Anna's personal issues to instantly her being held captive by the Vamps. I know for Anna it would have been just like that, but I dunno, it seemed rushed to me. And some of the actions scene's seemed blocked off, like she had more written into them but had to shave them down a bit and didn't get them rounded back into shape. I would have to go back and re-read for more examples (brain is tired right now). Overall, HG had more roughly cut scene's then CW.

Now, this doesn't take away the effect that HG had on me. I felt that the characters were more fleshed out then CW. In CW we get a sense that Anna and Charles are fleshing out their human relationship. Its obvious from the start that their wolves are perfectly content with each other (proving that animals are smarter than humans when it comes to relationships) and the humans are the ones who have to work things out. In HG we see that not only are their human parts in love with each other, they are both forcing each other out of their respective shells. Anna's shell (or cage could be a better description) is more pronounced because of the trauma that induced the need for it. However we finally get to see Charles breaking out of his cage he built himself over the many years he has been his Da's ax man. He is finally allowing himself to experience emotions and finds that not only does he enjoy them but he has missed out on many years of happiness because he locked them up. IMO this is a perfect analogy to a true relationship. Yes, in the beginning its about lust (a very basic, primal urge), then trust develops and love is not too far behind. Once two humans find that they have lust, trust and love they settle down with each other. Once this happens both of them urge the other to grow in many ways. This could be something as simple as not leaving the seat up when the guy uses the restroom (something I myself have yet to master much to the chagrin of my wife) or something as deep as recover from an addiction.

All in all, its masterfully written with only a few minor flaws (at least flaws in my own opinion) and does great strides in cementing the character's identities. I was particularly glad that Bran did not have much influence on this book. We have almost a complete picture of him from the Mercy stories and CW. This was Anna and Charles's breakout book and it was well written. Thank you Patty, now go write us more about them! **cracks his whip**  >D
Um, I guess this is my sig.......

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2009, 10:34:36 pm »
Oh that was wonderful!!! I love Hunting Ground even more than Cry Wolf. Also this thread has been killing me!!! Knowing that all these spoilers were here and not being able to read them yet was pure torture.

Thank you Patti for another amazing read!
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien
"F*** subtle" -Harry Dresden

cavaliergirl

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #81 on: August 29, 2009, 01:15:03 am »
I loved Hunting Ground.  Loved the way it advanced their relationship, the way that it exposes weaknesses and personality flaws and fears, makes Charles a bit more human.  In the first couple of books, it seemed like Anna was a bit outmatched with someone who had money, age and experience, greater wisdom about the supernatural, physical strength, etc while she was really insecure and less experienced and young.   In HG, she not only provided a lot of support for Charles, but she managed to face down the fae, face down Chastel, and demonstrate some bravery and cunning.  She also got a chance to work on her fear of strange dominants and gain some respect in the world of werewolves.  At the same time, we saw Charles' greatest fear and his ongoing control issues.  He's still smart, wise and strong and she's still got some insecurities but the relationship seemed more balanced.

As for the plot, well, as usual I never guessed where it was going or who the villains were.  Chastel was obvious but the others were a total surprise.  There were a few things that seemed kind of formulaic for her, like the extensive discussions of who was behind everything.  She puts those in every book and it seemed a bit heavy here.  Anna seemed to be channelling Mercy's mother a little bit with her film star imitation.  The line where Bran said "We aren't cats to play with our food" was also a repeat from another book.  Still, I liked the overall plot and enjoyed the book all the way to the end.

I hope for the next book we get to see a little more Aspen Creek.  What's day to day life like there?  How're Asil and Sage doing, and are they becoming a couple at all?  How're Leah and Anna getting along?  Does Anna feel like she's fitting in with the rest of the pack, making friends?  Can Anna coax a little information from Bran about his early life?  (He owes her a few favors after all!)  Does Anna find a job and learn how to quilt?  Since she's destined to find herself in all of these life-threatening situation, do charles and brother wolf give her fighting lessons?  And more Bran, I love Bran!!!

(Also, I hope to see more Tom and Moira and Angus.  Maybe a novella about the Emerald City pack?) 

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2009, 09:04:00 am »
I actually like the consistent re-use of certain phrases; it's very true to life, in my opinion.  I've caught one of my bosses mocking/teasing me by repeating  back stock phrases that I use characteristically, or physical versions of the same.  As, when I've finished discussing a few issues/chores with him, I tend to clasp my hands in front of me with a soft clap, indicating I'm done & ready to go out & conquer the work.  He'll clap his hands back at me.  So I find it an acute observation that Bran in particular, as old as he is, has certain very well worn phrases that he repeats.  I wouldn't be unhappy if it turned into a running joke in the two series, Bran, or one of the people who knows him well using the phrase and thinking about "as Bran says, yadda yadda", rolling their eyes, but it becomes a cliche because it's true at it's base, and "No, we are not cats, to play with our food."
As to the discussions of who is behind things, that's a requirement of the fact that there are mystery villains.  Can you imagine reall life detectives solving anything without discussing with each other who could be the culprit, and their best guesses as to why, or why not?
I mean, when it's a group effort, not loners like Columbo, or Banacek, but the groups, like in "Criminal Minds", "Without a Trace", "Numb3rs", "NCIS", any of the "CSI"; everyone has their favorite suspects, but they want to catch the real criminals (in spite of the snide remarks people make about human justice looking for "good enough"), so they will drop the efforts to convict the wrong person to get the true wrongdoers.  And to do that, they have to share their reasoning, as well as the clues they find, and their interpretations of them.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Redbirdie

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2009, 10:02:00 am »
A home run!  I just finished Hunting Ground this very minute and had to come on and say well done! bOuNcY

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2009, 12:41:35 pm »
 :-LOVE :-LOVE Loved Hunting Ground! Anna is my new favorite heroine. I love how she's not magically psychologically healed from her traumatic experiences, but how she's gradually learning how to become stronger. And I love how although Charles is literally an alpha male, he's not a jerkwad one - he knows that Anna needs to take risks and that physical safety isn't paramount over psychological health.

And like others mentioned, I like how they're still feeling their way in their relationship and that the mate bond didn't magically make everything perfect. But they are safe to show each other affection and love. Both have something to offer in the relationship. And I loved how everything the hero/heroine did wasn't automatically perfect. They both messed up a few times, too.

So regarding Bran and Arthur, there was some discussion a while back about how Bran might actually have *been* Marrok, who was one of the actual King Arthur's knights who was somehow associated with wolves/was a werewolf. I admit to quickly rejecting that idea because I thought it would be just too unbelievable that Bran (and Samuel) were that old. But I totally take it back - I think it's pretty apparent that Bran knew King Arthur at this point.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:45:20 pm by Elle »
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

Interpreter

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2009, 04:30:17 pm »
I just devoured HG. Loved the relationship between Charles and Anna. I love the respect they have for each other, how they talk through their problems and how they accept each other for who they are. Great characters! Still lots of room for the characters to grow and still be respectful of each other.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2009, 04:53:13 pm »
So regarding Bran and Arthur, there was some discussion a while back about how Bran might actually have *been* Marrok, who was one of the actual King Arthur's knights who was somehow associated with wolves/was a werewolf. I admit to quickly rejecting that idea because I thought it would be just too unbelievable that Bran (and Samuel) were that old. But I totally take it back - I think it's pretty apparent that Bran knew King Arthur at this point

What if  Samuel was King Arthur?

whatever it is, Bran now has 2 of King Arthur's three legendary weapons.
Veeeery interesting plot ideas coming to mind... especially if they have a mind of their own like Mercy's walking stick...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:45:59 pm by Elle »

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2009, 09:24:39 pm »

What if  Samuel was King Arthur?

Now that is a fascinating thought! I don't see it being true but it's interesting all the same.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:46:17 pm by Elle »
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger." -Tolkien

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2009, 01:46:32 am »
if I understand correctly Bran and Sam are Welsh, and Arthur was a Brition that whole different section of England. Sort like differance between New York State and Texas
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:29:34 am by gryphon340 »
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

ArtAngel

• writers
  • Pack Member
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2009, 02:04:05 am »
if understand correctly Bran and Sam are Welsh, and Arthur was a Brition that whole different section of England. Sort like differance between New York State and Texas

True, I forgot about the Welsh bit  9)