Author Topic: [A&O #2] Hunting Ground Discussion  (Read 93225 times)

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
Re: Hunting Ground Discussion
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2009, 08:36:28 pm »
I loved meeting all the characters. And that group hunt they had, that would have been fun to see. I really loved this, the tender moments, the fast-pace, and the all around awsomeness. But it leaves one wondering, what really does happen if a fae breaks their word?

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2009, 09:36:04 pm »
they get chased down by the wild hunt? ???

that was what I thought the answer was.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2009, 09:51:21 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with Brother Wolf, she was ment as a sacrifice.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:41:20 pm by Elle »

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2009, 10:20:52 pm »
But at which point did they decide so? Before or after she decided to break her word
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:41:42 pm by Elle »

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2009, 10:36:27 pm »
In regard to that, I'd say my question was did she promise to help Bran keep it 'neutral' before she started her deal with the bad guy to get Excalibur back?  If so, then she was breaking her word right away.  If she started from the idea of getting her charge back from the bad guy, and came to the idea of saying she'd help Bran from there, because that was the price he demanded from her, then she never was in a deal with Bran in the first place.
At least, that's the way I see it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:41:56 pm by Elle »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2009, 11:02:06 pm »
either way, she lied at some point by telling Bran she would keep things neutral, then not doing it.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2009, 12:04:20 am »
Huuum, now I wonder, why do the fae always keep their word? How did this tradition start? The Grey lords enforce it, even amongst themselves.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Omega 303

• Grease Monkey
  • Anna's Wolf
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2009, 02:05:44 am »
In regard to that, I'd say my question was did she promise to help Bran keep it 'neutral' before she started her deal with the bad guy to get Excalibur back?  If so, then she was breaking her word right away.  If she started from the idea of getting her charge back from the bad guy, and came to the idea of saying she'd help Bran from there, because that was the price he demanded from her, then she never was in a deal with Bran in the first place.
At least, that's the way I see it.

No I don't think she wasn't intend to break her word. At first she refused to help, Then Arthur offered her Excalibur. And the fact that she thought the Marrok was taunting her with the gift he gave her made it worst, so she took offence and wanted the Marrok th suffer more than she. So she attemped to kill Charles.

I have a Question In the book after Arthur stabbed Charles he was able to call on the pack magic I thought only alphas can draw form the pack. I may be missing something here though. I know in Bone Cross Adam felt Mercy stress and he draw on the pack magic to soothe her, But I think he was to one to send it to Mercy once he drew it from the pack.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:42:31 pm by Elle »

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2009, 06:06:41 am »
That was pretty clearly stated, Omega.  Here's the quote: "Charles gave the pack magic a little tug and received a bounty in return.  He wasn't the Alpha, but his father could grant him help if he chose.  And Bran was a generous leader."  So this was, I think, very similar to what Adam did for Mercy, but Charles, being werewolf and all, can ask, and knows to do so.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:42:48 pm by Elle »
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2009, 09:19:51 am »
My question all last night (I should have gone on and posted it, then I might have gotten some sleep  9) ) What if Bran was King Arthur?

We already know Bran was Grendal (from Beowolf) so being a famous person (villain) isn't out of character.
and uniting Englishmen to fight Anglo-Saxons seems like good practice for uniting werewolves of North America.

His system of wolves-Alphas- Marrock is kinda like feudal system that (if I got my timeline and term right) was in Arthurian England.

Now I've posted it it doesn't seem like quite the brilliant idea from Patty's point of view. Having a character that was King Arthur might seem... kinda pretentious or something. plus, so many people are experts on King Arthur that it would be hard to do.

maybe not such a good idea from a writer's standpoint, but interesting to consider from the point of view of a reader.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:43:42 pm by Elle »

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2009, 10:17:52 am »
Not so much, Avarel.  Even the experts aren't experts on King Arthur.  There are so many different tales (and believe me, they're VERY different), and the origin stories are lost in time.  But Bran wasn't specifically Grendel.  Asil says that Grendel was made from Bran and others.  One of those tales drawing from many roots was how I took it.  (Although Grendel did have a really mean mother.  >D )  Also, the feudal system came later than the historical King Arthur.

It's an interesting thought.  Even if that doesn't turn out to be the case, the story implies that Bran (and Sam) is even older than we thought.  The historical Arthur is something like 1500 years ago, at least, and if Bran knew him personally...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:44:30 pm by Elle »
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2009, 01:29:20 pm »
When does Grendle fit into the timeframe? I only remember old. pre 1066, pre middle ages. I can't remember.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2009, 12:17:14 am »
Ellyll is right, the experts don't agree on anything about Arthur, even to the point of whether or not he was an actual historical figure.  I am a grad student in Eng Lit studying Medieval Literature and one of the funniest things I remember one of my professors saying was before several of us went to the Zoo (Kalamazoo, largest Medieval Studies Conference in the US).  She told us, "Stay away from the Arthurians!  They're all crazy, some even believe he's coming back.  Really!"  All that aside, Patty got alot of the details right. 

1)  Lancelot and even Guinevere do not appear in the earliest texts and Lancelot is totally an adaptation from French lit introduced by the Anglo-Normans.

2)  A historic Arthur would almost definitely have been focused entirely on saving Briton (not Angland) from the Angles, Saxons, and Jutes than in pursuing a treasure hunt for the Grail.

As to the dating of Beowulf, this one is slightly problematic.  The only manuscript copy, which is roughly dated to the 10th c, was burned in a fire in the (wait for it) Ashburnham Library sometime in the late 18th century (don't remember the exact date) and while it survived was badly.  One of the best references for the text is a transcript made some time before the fire.  What is known is that the story is Scandinavian, not native to the British Isles (not Welsh, Scottish, or Anglo-Saxon).  Some think it was originally translated and written down for one of the Viking rulers who invaded England in the ninth and tenth centuries. Confused yet?  The English poem is the only text which tells the story, though several Scandinavian sources and analogues exist.
Which is to say, it's very hard to date "Beowulf", none of the experts really agree.

Ellyll is also right when she notes that Bran serves as the inspiration for Grendel, he is not the actual monster.  However, in the dating of Beowulf, it's date of composition almost definitely predates 1000, and many experts place it at 750-850.  Though some argue the story would have originated earlier.  Also, if you consider the time that it would take for a figure to become legend, Bran could date to the time of the Anglo-Saxon invasions of Briton.

jenniwee

• Mechanic
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2009, 12:34:22 am »
On a different note, I think Dana (Nimue) was playing a bit fast and loose with her oath, trying to skirt around it.  I think she tried to get charles to attack and kill Chastel within the bounds of the oath.  She influenced Chastel to attack Anna and then colored Charles' perception of the fight so he would overreact.  Until Bran sent the painting, I think she intended to give Arthur enough rope to hang himself and then take Excalibur back.  After the painting I think she tried to use her oath to find a way to kill Charles.  If Anna had not stepped in, Dana would have sent the wolves out to kill Charles before anyone could have noted that the rule covering blood letting during the hunt no longer applied.  And as Charles pointed out to Angus, she only needed to convince the Grey Lords, who accept "good enough" evidence as long as they have someone to pay the price for their "justice."
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:44:50 pm by Elle »

wolverine

• Mechanic
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2009, 07:03:34 am »
Hey ya'll!  it's been a long time.  I am at work so I have to keep this short and to the point.  I loved HG.  I've skimmed it twice since I read it the first time.  I am in no way disappointed in it BUT!  I would love to have had more background on Anna and Charles.  I know we got some of that BUT! I just wanted more.  I love the mentoring type relationship that I think Charles has with Anna and not just the physical one.  I know we already have some details about Ana's first pack but I think we need a bit more.  We also know about Charles and that he has been his father's assassin for a long time...but not much more. I did love the way Ana and Charles talked about things from their past and I like how Ana is becoming more confident in SOME areas of her life but not all---if she was a super confident wolf all of a suddend that wouldn't seem realistic to me. She has too much to work through.  Keep up the good work Patty.  I can't wait for more.