Author Topic: [A&O #2] Hunting Ground Discussion  (Read 91613 times)

f00-ssa

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Hunting Ground Discussion
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:03 am »
Spoiler
Fae aren't supposed to be able to break their word :-' :-'

Other than that, nice but short and less divided than #1.

ETA: Subject line changed to incorporate all Hunting Ground discussion. Elle.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:35:55 pm by Elle »

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 10:06:21 am »
They can't lie but I don't remember reading anything about them not being able to break their word
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:36:19 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

f00-ssa

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 10:27:49 am »
An important distinction under the circumstances, but I thought it was both?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:36:35 pm by Elle »

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:38 am »
I think it's possible to not lie yet still break your word to someone.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:36:53 pm by Elle »
Hurog Means Dragon.

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 11:26:57 pm »
Well, I finished it yesterday and I have started rereading it, be warned, I will keep spoilers to a minimum so do not read this if you are sensitive to those. You know on second thought, I will just put it all in spoiler tags, read at your own risk!

The book starts off quite satisfying, as we have already read. The plot picks up very quickly and things start moving on very quickly. The plot was very satisfying. My only complain is the lack of characterization for most of the Alphas. Not many were named and we didn't get much information on what they were like.

Charles has a very cool Crowning Moment of Awesome in my mind towards the end of the book where he runs down the street chasing a van, wills the stop light to remain red, then jumps through the rear window into a van! He then proceeds to kill one vampire, immobilize another, kill the third and make the fourth run away in fear! Anna gets her own as well. I <3 Anna! :-LOVE She gets a lot of character growth in this book. Makes me very happy!

Overall, a very satisfying book. It has a clearly defined beginning, middle and end. Lot of character growth for both main characters. We get some more back story on Bran. I am very happy with this book.

Feel free to post your own reviews when you get the book.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:37:17 pm by Elle »

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Jojo

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 08:49:26 am »
I got my copy in the post when I got back early this afternoon and finished it a short time ago. I had high hopes for this book and wasn't disappointed at all! I'm now going to re-read my favourite bits because when I first get a long-awaited book I just rush through it and the re-read lets me savour it!

I love the way Ms Briggs develops characters, no quick fixes but no whining and obsessing. I'll stop now before I give any spoilers.

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 07:46:24 am »
Just finished reading it. Wow, that was a jam packed book. It was even better than Cry Wolf. Will come back at a later date to discuss. Need to process. :P

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 09:01:40 am »
Righty, had some food, collected all my thoughts...now discussion time. Down below contains major spoilers. Do not move the mouse over the black tags if you don't want to know! So, duly warned:

First off, I think this was a better book than Cry Wolf. Cry wolf was good. Very, very good but Hunting Ground is even better! :D

I thought the characters were fully fleshed out in this book, and the plot was strongly driven. Anna totally rocked.  She came out of her protective shell and we saw how strong of a person she truly is. It was Anna who grounded Charles in this book, and we saw what an Omega can do and what it achieves within a pack structure. I think Anna truly realised this in Hunting Ground - when she started using her abilities impulsively when she noticed discord or when someone was emotionally hurting.

In Cry Wolf, Charles and Brother Wolf had to restrain themselves for Anna, but they were unleashed in Hunting Ground. It was cool seeing Anna talk with Brother Wolf. How did Charles explain it? Him and Brother Wolf are one man, one soul but they are two spirits within. Obviously, their wolves know they are each others mate's instinctively, but I don't think their wolves have finally met one to one without Charles and Anna holding back. While they were making love, Anna's wolf came out to take charge, and Charles had to reign in Brother Wolf. It will be great to see all of them coming together fully. :)

In a way, this series reminds of Eve and Roarke from the In Death books by J.D Robb. Not the characteristics of the characters or the plots, but their journey as a couple they take in each book. Both are an established couple, but I think it's the development of their relationship, and them learning how to deal with each bump, and curve that drops in their way that what makes the readers glued. Well, it does for me.

Will come back later to discuss more especially the plot, but I want to mention this. I'm going to take a bet, odds in favour, that we will see Asil's son in future books. I hope so. That I did NOT seeing coming. :D 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:37:35 pm by Elle »

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 10:32:10 am »
Hey Mid, now that you mention it, your probably right. That little bit of character development will most likely play a role later. I also think we will see more of Ric. Maybe him visiting Aspen Creek to get omega lessons from Asil as well, or maybe Anna?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:37:49 pm by Elle »

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C Clarke

Midangel

• Global Moderator
  • Mechanic
    • The Book Pushers
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 10:37:53 am »
I think so also. Bran's pack seems to be the care unit for unstable or/and untutored wolves. I hope we see more of Hussan(sp?) as there seems to be some tension between him and Asil that needs resolving.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:38:12 pm by Elle »

Talyn

• Tool Wrangler
  • Technomage
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 09:03:01 pm »
Makes me wonder how old Hussan is, eh? Also, who his mother is? Makes me want the next A&O book even more. I also wonder what new developments we will see out of Europe now that the Beast is dead.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:38:28 pm by Elle »

Linnea

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 12:10:07 am »
Well, I wasn't sure of the exact date Hunting Ground was to be released, so when I checked in last night and saw that some people had received their copies, I packed up the kids and rushed off on a midnight trip to the SuperWalmart with my fingers crossed, hoping it would be in stock.  Bitter disappointment!   :-'  Despite having an entire aisle of urban fantasy, fantasy, and young adult fantasy, including Cry Wolf, they didn't have it.   :-\

So, I made a special trip to the mall after class today and accidently parked on the complete wrong side and had to walk all the way around to get to Borders Express.  There I stood, eagerly scanning the new releases, only to be disappointed again!   :(  How is Patty supposed to debut at #1 on the NY Times Bestseller List if the stores aren't stocking her book.  Unacceptable!  >:(  I wrangled up a saleslady and it turned out they had 14 copies, just sitting in the back room!  Well, now there's 13, on the shelf where they belong, and one precious copy in my hands.   :P   I've spent the rest of the day devouring it, and so, on to my review:

I loved it!  :-LOVE Definitely worth the hassle.  I must admit, Cry Wolf wasn't really my favorite.  The icy cold landscape in most of the book kind of put me off, though I liked the characters.  In Hunting Ground, I liked seeing more of their relationship at they sound each other out and get to know each other.  I liked that they didn't instantly click into a perfect crime-fighting team, and that Anna's Omega powers are not the perfect solution for every problem.  This series has definitely come up my favorites list after this book.

This story was pretty action packed, too.  Every time I tried to put it down, someone got shot, stabbed, bitten, kidnapped, or killed!  I had no choice but to read the whole thing through.  Yet as action packed as it was, it was filled with great little moments between Anna and Charles. I loved the cute little detail about the goldfish in the hotel.  Those moments are something I miss with Mercy and Adam.  They're so independent, they spend too much time apart.  It's nice to see people who need each other.  The two series complement each other well, with their different tones.

The only thing I don't care for is the characters' over-reasoning of other characters' motives.  I don't get how they could assume they know the bad guys every motive and assume that everyone is so predictable, so having characters speculate so deeply bugs me I guess.  I'd rather events just unfolded more naturally with people slipping up and giving themselves away.  Oh well, I'll just skim those paragraphs in the future.  8)

BTW, where is everyone?  ???  I thought there'd be way more comments and reviews here by now.  I know a lot of people have been counting down the days until Hunting Ground's release.

~Linnea
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:39:00 pm by Elle »

Elle

• Lone Wolf
  • Administrator
  • Senior Pack Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 01:19:11 am »
Linnea,

I think there are a lucky few who have gotten early copies but the majority have to wait until the release date of the 25th. I'm sure once that date hits this thread will be flooded.  :) Glad to know you enjoyed it!
Hurog Means Dragon.

Artemis

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 03:40:17 pm »
 I thought that the Lady of the Lake said that she would give Bran a gift equal to the one he gave her, i.e. something that would wound him as deeply as the painting of her lake wounded her -- Charles' death? So is it a lie, a half-truth or just an obscure truth misunderstood by Charles & Anna?

Or is the lie you are referring to the oath she had made to protect those at the summit? Am I completely wrong, or wasn't the summit over when she attacked Charles? Does that negate her oath? I suppose that it must be so, or else the Grey Lords wouldn't send Anna to deliver their justice.

Of course, since Anna was suppose to die (the Grey Lords having underestimated the abilities of an Omega wolf) and it was to serve as a warning to the Lady, maybe it was in a "grey" area -- not quite a broken oath, but close enough that the Grey Lords decided she needed a warning. Then again, the Lady herself said that she had been false ...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:39:21 pm by Elle »
We learned more from a three-minute record than we ever learned in school ...

"No Surrender," Bruce Springsteen

Tazallie

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2009, 04:53:31 pm »
I love intellectual crushes -- y'know, that feeling you get when you realize that this person gets it just the same way you do

Absolutely!

Its one of the reasons I love the Mercy and Alpha & Omega series (especially Hunting Ground and Bone Crossed) working in the field of counselling its amazing to find an author who shows that as much as we want to 'get over' things it isnt as easy as some books, film and TV portray...which often leaves people feeling like failures because they can't move on in a day, a week or even a month. 

Yep I have an intellectual crush on Patricia Briggs!  :-[

n I will get off my soap box now  :D