Author Topic: [A&O #2] Hunting Ground Discussion  (Read 92728 times)

gryphon340

• Mechanic
Re: Hunting Ground Discussion
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2009, 03:30:57 am »
Artangel give self permission to read spoilers it won't hurt the reading of the book and really not spoil anything
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Janilee

« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2009, 11:04:34 am »
Historically speaking, there are antecedents of the Arthurian Legends in Wales. I once did a summer abroad in Great Britain studying Arthurian Legends. Part of the time was spent in Wales. We also went to Glastonbury, Tintagel Castle, Cadbury Castle, Stonehenge and various other sites of Arthurian repute.

LadyErehwon

• Tool Wrangler
  • No one else is going to enjoy your life for you.
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2009, 12:18:48 pm »
I have to throw in my two cents!  I loved Hunting Ground! 

I had to ask the book stockers where it was, but since Tuesday, I've read it 3 times so far.  I really like how Ms. Briggs is answering some of our questions in the books (more of the "how does that work" type), and then making us think about others.  It makes it fun to read and re-read.  Now, for the waiting again... :-\

Artemis

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2009, 12:30:14 pm »
Wolverine, you can find a lot of Anna's backstory in the short story "Alpha and Omega." I can't remember what anthology it is in, though ... help, anyone ... ?
We learned more from a three-minute record than we ever learned in school ...

"No Surrender," Bruce Springsteen

gryphon340

• Mechanic
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2009, 12:32:14 pm »
On the Prowl
life is terminal

"We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the sermon of the mount" Omar N. Bradley, U.S Army General

Artemis

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2009, 12:56:46 pm »
RE The Athurian debate: In "Iron Kissed," Mercy discusses Arthurian legend at length and notes that she has a degree in history. Although I understand that Patty is not her characters, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she was interested in/well-versed in Athurian legend, so if Bran turned out to be an "Arthurian character," it would be interesting to see what she'd do with it.

I also love the idea that Bran may have been the "original" Marrok, a part of Arthur's court -- especially since he said he knew King Arthur. It might be a feint on his part, but if he was actually King Arthur, I'd think that he wouldn't have put it that way.

However, in comparing the two series, it struck me that both Mercy and Anna have suffered from sexual assault. While I love that Patty has not waved her magical author's wand and made it all better for them, it does surprise me a little to realize that both heroines -- and such different ones! -- in these intertwining series have suffered similar attacks. Do you think it was deliberate on Patty's part?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:46:50 pm by Elle »

Artemis

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2009, 12:59:11 pm »
Thank you! Yeah, you can see her back story in "Alpha and Omega" in "On the Prowl." I read "Cry Wolf" first, and sort of felt that I'd missed something, so went back and got the short story collection. (Even though I think it had a story by Sunny in it. Blech.)

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2009, 05:44:57 pm »
if I understand correctly Bran and Sam are Welsh, and Arthur was a Brition that whole different section of England. Sort like difference between New York State and Texas

Yeah, but to someone from Europe we're all Americans anyway. Some people even group Canadians in. If that happens now, what happens 500+ years in the future.

"Welsh? I don't like the Welsh. Let's make Arthur British."

Or.

Bran and Sam would be long lived, so they'd have to move around in order to keep people from noticing their lack of aging. a Welsh person moving to Briton and becoming King Arthur is not that far fetched, is it?

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »
Good point.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Lord_Raken

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2009, 07:15:06 pm »
I would like to begin by expressing my absolute love of the Mercy and Alpha and Omega series. Vampires and Werewolves have been "defanged" and "declawed" by all the other vamp/wolf book riding in the wake of the twilight tsunami. Those book, while they can be entertaining just don't drive home the danger of supernatural creatures like the Briggs books. Her characters feel real and alive. They are flawed and admirable in spite of them, and endearing because of them.

I would like make one humble comment, fully aware that I am not a successful published author. (though I hope to be someday)

While reading through HG, and loving every word of it, I sometimes felt like certain points could have been made stronger. At times points of the plot, events, and character didn't seem to get the attention or description needed to solidify the event in the mind of the reader as a key event. It was all there to be picked up, it just didn't jump out and grab you.

I feel like a foolish student questioning the master here, and I ask for any misunderstanding of lack of perception on my part to be brought to my attention. Subtly in a novel is difficult to master and, even when done masterfully, may whoosh right over the heads of some readers (me). Life is rarely clear and defined, and events don't always happen right when they "should" Hunting Grounds does this amazingly. The best example is the way both Anna and Charles try to to decode and deal with their relationship. Guessing the mind of the other, sometimes getting it right... and others not. There is no moment when "all is made well" they make progress. But true development, both in character and plot, is slow, subtle, and does not always 'jump out and grab you'.

Love the books, Love the Character, can't wait for what comes next. Just putting my measly two cents out there for consideration... or as a target.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2009, 07:29:36 pm »
Hi, Lord_Raken!  Not the Patty you're addressing, but I'm here, so what the heck.
We all have different things we bring to the books, and thus different things we take away from them.  And sometimes it's a matter of "I loved it the first time I read it, but didn't get _________"  And then you read it a few years later, and you sit up (or maybe heavily down), stunned by the masterful interpretation of the thing that eluded you the first time, because you didn't have the life experience to get the way it was presented the first time you read it. 
So no worries that you feel that some things were skipped over; I've even got a couple of quibbles. ;) 
And, if you read the "Ask Patty/Answered" section about "Moon Called" (as a prime example) you'll find Our Hostess admitting that she got rushed & didn't do her best (or even standard) development of character motives or the "who what where when why how" that the story really merited.  She managed to clear some of that up in "Bone Crossed", of course... Same could apply here.  Go to the Spoiler threads, use the spoiler tags, & make your concerns known.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Ellyll

• Pack Member
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2009, 07:35:24 pm »
I think the earliest Arthur stories were actually Welsh. 
Dear Lord, be good to me.  The sea is so wide, and my boat is so small.

You let a wolf save your life, and you pay and you pay, and you pay...

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2009, 08:26:28 pm »
The only thing that really bothered me, was it introduced the vampires, made it seem like they would very important. But they weren't really. They were the foot soldiers.

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2009, 08:35:30 pm »
foot soldiers are people too.

I liked it.

Zealith

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Pack Member
    • dragcaves
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2009, 08:52:12 pm »
Yeah, but I was expecting more from them. Them being the Big Bad, or something.