Author Topic: [A&O #2] Hunting Ground Discussion  (Read 95651 times)

kingken

• Tool Wrangler
Re: Hunting Ground Discussion
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2009, 08:08:47 pm »
 :D This was a fantastic read makes you think hard about the relationship between Anna and Charles. Im waiting for my cookies to bake and then going to jump into it for the 2nd time  :-LOVE

Lilith Kahila

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2009, 10:26:53 pm »
Ahh, I spent the day finishing Hunting Ground.  I've had it for a little while, but life kept happening and I couldn't get a minute to read. Just to let y'all  know, I call dibs on Charles should he ever become available and um, if I am ever available. :-[  Brother would be okay, too.
All kidding aside, this book is a great companion to the 1st one.  I liked reading more about the European wolves.  I remember reading some books a long time ago, about wolves being a problem in some countries, Russia comes to mind for some reason.
I'm rambling, oh no!  Thanks Patricia for giving me such good books to read.  I hope for many more!
Also, I went to Books A Million, the closest book store to me and it's 70 miles away, hoping to find Hunting Ground.  The "help desk" person said it wasn't due for release until Sept and I don't really believe them sometimes.  I looked the whole store over and finally found it behind the 2 small rows of new and notable books. It was on a cardboard bookholder with several other books that in no way meshed with HG.  I made sure to show the help guy that he was in fact wrong. Grr.

Lilith

deadfrog

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2009, 05:48:40 pm »
for Bran, A reminder of the past is not painful.

Apparently, for Dana it is.

Bran was reminding her of when she was powerful.

It was not only a reminder of her past, and past power.

When Charles and Anna visit her the first time, she is trying to recreate a painting by a famous Flemish artist (sorry, I've forgotten the name), and failing. I was under the impression that she spent considerable time and effort in creating a copy that induces the same deep emotions in its viewers that the original painting did. Anna recognized the painter's technique immediately but was at a loss to what the artist intended to express. Dana expressed resignation that she is not talented in this area. Yet she keeps on trying, so this must be important to her.

And then Charles hands over Bran's gift, a painting by an artist who captured the very soul of the lake she lost even though he never saw the place himself. Bran's gift held everything that she was unsuccessfully striving for in her own work. So Bran not only brings up past memories but also makes her present efforts look pathetic by comparison.

I think this unintentional combination had a much more powerful effect on her than either component would have had on its own.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2009, 05:51:51 pm »
That's an excellent analysis!  That and the fact that this much loved place is now gone, and irretrievable.
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Cerulean

• Pack Member
    • Books and Chat
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2009, 07:12:39 pm »
for Bran, A reminder of the past is not painful.

Apparently, for Dana it is.

Bran was reminding her of when she was powerful.

It was not only a reminder of her past, and past power.

When Charles and Anna visit her the first time, she is trying to recreate a painting by a famous Flemish artist (sorry, I've forgotten the name), and failing. I was under the impression that she spent considerable time and effort in creating a copy that induces the same deep emotions in its viewers that the original painting did. Anna recognized the painter's technique immediately but was at a loss to what the artist intended to express. Dana expressed resignation that she is not talented in this area. Yet she keeps on trying, so this must be important to her.

And then Charles hands over Bran's gift, a painting by an artist who captured the very soul of the lake she lost even though he never saw the place himself. Bran's gift held everything that she was unsuccessfully striving for in her own work. So Bran not only brings up past memories but also makes her present efforts look pathetic by comparison.

I think this unintentional combination had a much more powerful effect on her than either component would have had on its own.

Great analysis! I really see that more clearly now. Thanks! I had been struggling some with this, but I think you nailed it.
There are many people – happy people, it usually appears – whose thoughts at Christmas always turn to books. The notion of a Christmas tree with no books under it is repugnant and unnatural to them. – Robertson Davies (1997)

wiccanmoonchild

• Grease Monkey
  • Ruled by the Moon
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2009, 11:09:55 am »
Loved it!   Just finished the second read -  :-LOVE
“Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it.
 Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window.” - William Faulkner

emmad

• Tinker
    • JDK Lodge
« Reply #216 on: October 05, 2009, 10:14:06 am »
Loved this.  Only problem is once you've finished and put it down I was kinda looking around going okay what's next?  I want the next book NOW!!

Sigh now have to wait ;)

Oh and loved the cover.  Purple is my favourite colour hehe

Dante

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #217 on: October 06, 2009, 11:42:07 am »
I read Cry Wolf and Hunting Ground before I read any of the Mercy Thompson series and loved the A&O far more than the MT (so far...i'm halfway through Blood Bound.) Sad that there wont be a new A&O book next year but the comic of Cry Wolf comes out Nov 3 so that'll be cool.

I loved Hunting Ground I hope it comes out in comic form aswell i'd love o see the art.

b. hart

« Reply #218 on: November 07, 2009, 08:07:27 pm »
I just finished Hunting Ground and I did not want it to end!! It was very bittersweet to finish it because I knew the wait for the next issue will be looong; which is ok.

I loved getting to know the characters; mainly Anna and Charles, better and their relationship/bond.  I also enjoyed learning more about the Omega werewolf. A very interesting turn on the werewolf.

And can I just say that I love reading about werewolfs more than vampires. And Patricia does it so well in her novels. And I feel so connected with Anna [not about the fact that she was abused by her pack] but how modest she is.  As for Charles, he is just amazing. I love his character, tall, dark, brooding and handsome. Yum. Haha.

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2009, 01:33:06 pm »
This series has become very quickly my favorite.  The glimpses we get into Charles as he struggles with the love he feels for Anna and his desperate hope that she can love all of him, and the reciprocal feelings that she has as she realizes that she holds his heart in her hands--just terrific writing.  Their story has caught my imagination as nothing else has in a long time.  I REALLY am sorry we will have to wait so long for the sequel.  I will simply have to build a few stories in my own imagination and read the books again for the upteenth time.  ;)
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2009, 02:11:58 pm »
Another point that really strikes me about this excellent book after so many rereads is Patty's really brilliant contrast of the characters of Arthur and Charles.  The one who selfishly sacrifices the woman he professes to love and rationalizes that he does it because she would hate to grow old; and the other who unselfishly sacrifices his own comfort and will to give the woman he loves all that she needs to grow and heal from the horrors of her past.  It is the glimpses we get into the hearts of these similar but very different men that show so much about Patty's great gift as a story teller, IMO. 
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

deadfrog

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2009, 01:29:03 pm »
I especially liked that we get more hints what people (other than closest family) see when looking at Charles.

We get Ric's view ("Your mate decided my Italian buddies and the Germans would settle a bit better without my presence. Though he didn't say precisely that. I believe the total of his words were 'Omega. Go.' Angus decided he meant here."). And we get Sunny's view of both Charles and Anna.

lacrima

• Tool Wrangler
  • Sleep is overrated anyway. Where's my coffee ?
« Reply #222 on: November 12, 2009, 02:11:34 pm »
"Your mate decided my Italian buddies and the Germans would settle a bit better without my presence. Though he didn't say precisely that. I believe the total of his words were 'Omega. Go.' Angus decided he meant here."

I loved that. It just shows that being less dominant doesn't mean having no backbone or own mind. Angus had to obey the order, but he was the one who decided how he did that.

"Give me an opportunity to fail. I promise that my corpse won't interrupt your 'I told you so' speech."

charmed

• Tool Wrangler
  • Book Addict & Proud
    • Bea's Book Nook
« Reply #223 on: November 12, 2009, 02:53:16 pm »
Yeah, I really liked Angus's and Ric's interpretation of Charles's laconic statement. A neat way to show us the thinking of several different characters.
Proud member of The Smuthound Gang & COMFIE. Esteemed member of the SOOGA. Always perfect. Sometimes breathing.

uninspired

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2009, 10:26:15 am »
I finished Hunting Ground last night and I absolutely loved it! Cry wolf was the first book I read of Mrs. Briggs and it was amazing (I am up to date with the Mercy series as well)! I really enjoy the depth and history her characters have. Thank you for creating amazing stories and keep up the good work.