Author Topic: [A&O #2] Hunting Ground Discussion  (Read 95488 times)

Gerd D.

• Auto-Zauberer
  • "Bunnies! It might be bunnies!"
Re: Hunting Ground Discussion
« Reply #195 on: September 04, 2009, 02:30:27 am »
Curiousity question: Am I the only one who got a good laugh over Angus's nickname for Anna? I was lmao, I hope it sticks  LOL LOL
Yeah loved that, almost a Monty Python moment there given the end of the book (and what they are ultimately fought over), and now I wonder if Chastel at any point taunted his attackers with "It's just a flesh wound." ;D

I also loved the exchange between Anna and Charles about his Tee's, gave red shirting a whole new meaning. LOL
“Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.”

Terry Pratchett, "Hogfather"

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #196 on: September 04, 2009, 03:13:52 pm »
I have to admit, I am not a reader who analyses the nuances of whether or not the fae would really live near salt water! What I did find in Hunting Ground was another excellent character study that gave me a terrific picture of two people as they are growing together and learning to support one another with love and committment. To me the beauty of Patty's work is that they are so character driven--you feel these folks are alive and you care about them. I especially like that I get to feel the relationship from both perspectives.  Hunting Ground was another home run, IMO.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:17:06 pm by BigMama »
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

BigMama

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #197 on: September 04, 2009, 03:47:29 pm »
Not to get back to the dominance question, but I don't think Charles' letting Anna "try her wings" actually has anything to do with him being less dominant. IMO, it is mostly to do with his knowledge of her being forced to submit to the will of the alphas in her previous pack. In the scene on the dock, when Charles is thrown open for a moment, Anna sees inside of him and sees his love for her and his fear that she will one day see him as the killer he feels himself to be and that she will reject him. He fears that if he doesn't give her space to be free, that he will be subjecting her to the type of terrible treatment that she had come to expect from dominant wolves in the past. Anna, for her part, sees his heart, and the love Charles has for her there, and realizes what a precious and fragile gift she holds. This is a pivotal scene in their relationship and one of my favorites in the book. Anna understands at last just how much Charles loves and yearns for her care. It is after this, IMO, that she becomes much more proactive in her demonstration of her love and protection for him as well.
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
  • The stories are written at Wattpad - Wolf_Lady :)
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #198 on: September 04, 2009, 10:06:08 pm »
Okay, in some books, at some points i do stop and think "what the heck? didn't go the other way already?" On Mrs Briggs' books though...  :-whistle I just don't really care all that much... (it helps that when one of the characters is for example hurt on the foot in the beginning it doesn't change to being hurt on the arm at the end of it (I'll write something on it in another post)

But I assumed it was a water faery.... it wouldn't matter what kind of water it was as long as it was water....

PS  bOuNcY the end was so.... unpredictable I loved it all, i loved the growing of the characters, the 'doubts' Anna still fights with, the vulnerability Charles shows... even the Seattle Alpha was a real favorite to me.. and... did I imagine reading of Adam? I can't wait for Anna and Mercy to meet even for a small paragraph... >D

Thanks for the terrific job mrs Briggs... ahem... can we have a bit more soon? O)
(trying to joke with it but.... :-[)

Avarel

• writers
  • Mechanic
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2009, 11:23:27 am »
She sees the uberwolf has vulnerabilities and she is allowed access to them.  :-LOVE

Temari

« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2009, 03:38:50 am »
I loved the book, enjoyed every bit of it. Wandering around smiling for days.  :) :)

My only niggle was that as far as I could see there was only 1 possible person among the wolves who could be behind the troubles - the mystery villian is always someone you know in a good book, and we only learn about 3 wolves in detail and of those, 2 are almost immediately ruled out. It didn't spoil the book as it was still very, very readable, and the reasons for causing trouble and some of the other twists I hadn't guessed, but it would have been good to have had at least 1 other possible villian option.

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2009, 09:09:56 am »
Seattle doesn't get snow in December?

Not a lot, and not often.  But as either Mr. or Mrs. Briggs can tell you from their research trip here last winter, we did have snow then.  It seldom lasts more than a few hours, and when it does, the whole area tends to go ape, as though there had been a major, 3/4 meter fall. 
What our weather is like most of the winter is an extended autumn, so we have leaves falling for about 6 months, and while in downtown they're cleaned by crews paid by probably merchant associations as well as the city for keeping it clear for business & tourists, the outer neighborhoods, Greenwood, Ballard, University District, Queen Anne, Georgetown, South Park, West Seattle, Crown Hill, etc., etc. don't have that.  So Anna running down from the U. District condo along the Burke-Gilman Trail, would have very likely been slithering on wet & decaying leaves. that's where that niggle came from.  Oh, and between hills & sidewalks that have been buckled by tree roots, the footing is very bumpy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 02:50:12 pm by Elle »
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2009, 11:46:53 am »
i loved that book, it's like... all the years of writing honed mrs Briggs' skills to bring forth quite a masterpiece...

I love Charles, it's more than the characters being almost alive, it's... that feeling that if that character was alive you could actually fall in love with them... it's something I do not get from Adam or Sam...
it may be because Mercy is the narrator and we don't get that much of an insight to Adam and Sam... but I do feel that with Charles i could fall in love...

Also the cover made perfect sense with the story, Charles' wolf was out of control in most of the book and Anna was trying to calm him...

The nickname had me laughing out loud and I did cry in some of the scenes... the dialogue on the bed, the doubts of Anna the "Do you ever regret it" scene had me crying (well it could be the fever i had at he time but it was also the emotion in those words)

all in all, Charles didn't decide to be less dominant, but to give Anna the freedom to do her own things, her own mistakes, all of his instincts tell him to protec her but he knows that too much protection can become an almost worse torture than the one she had been in... so, he conciously decides to give her space, time, opportunities to decide for herself what she wants to do.... and that is, for such a dominant wolf, almost as difficult as allowing someone under his protection to be harmed...

I think subconciously I knew who the werewolf behind the attacks was when Sunny was killed, but I didn't want to believe it was him, i kept thinking it was someone we hadn't met yet. however the ending twist really caught me by surprise and I was thinking "What the Heck???"

To end this message and go to sleep though I just want to say, again, Thank You for the great book and I really cannot wait for the 3rd book of the series and the next Mercy book...
Sometimes you think you have seen the best of someone and then you get something like this book and... you just need more...

PS I do not say this last to stress you, I know you will write your best, It just surprises me how much more Hunting Ground seems to me than the previous books, and I guess you do know how good the other books are.... but i feel like this one is at the top at the moment...

Again thank you for sharing such great stories with us... take care of yourself and your family and finally, goodnight from your greek fan

Patti L.

• Administrator
  • Hostess of Hurog
  • Not PattY Briggs. Keeper of the fluffy vortex.
« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2009, 11:55:49 am »
Lovely post, White_Unicorn!
We've had our toad for the 2020s, it's got to get better from here!
But do beware the toad burps.

Wolf Girl

• Tool Wrangler
  • This is what my wolf looks like
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2009, 04:28:16 pm »
Dude, peoples don't read a book with a kitten, she will just tear the pages up...
Hunting Ground was sooo good, but I don't know... it felt as if something was off with Charles and Anna. But other then that, I liked it better then Cry Wolf.
Alexandria/Wolf Girl

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2009, 03:09:34 am »
i loved that book, it's like... all the years of writing honed mrs Briggs' skills to bring forth quite a masterpiece...

I love Charles, it's more than the characters being almost alive, it's... that feeling that if that character was alive you could actually fall in love with them... it's something I do not get from Adam or Sam...
it may be because Mercy is the narrator and we don't get that much of an insight to Adam and Sam... but I do feel that with Charles i could fall in love...

Also the cover made perfect sense with the story, Charles' wolf was out of control in most of the book and Anna was trying to calm him...

The nickname had me laughing out loud and I did cry in some of the scenes... the dialogue on the bed, the doubts of Anna the "Do you ever regret it" scene had me crying (well it could be the fever i had at he time but it was also the emotion in those words)

all in all, Charles didn't decide to be less dominant, but to give Anna the freedom to do her own things, her own mistakes, all of his instincts tell him to protec her but he knows that too much protection can become an almost worse torture than the one she had been in... so, he conciously decides to give her space, time, opportunities to decide for herself what she wants to do.... and that is, for such a dominant wolf, almost as difficult as allowing someone under his protection to be harmed...

I think subconciously I knew who the werewolf behind the attacks was when Sunny was killed, but I didn't want to believe it was him, i kept thinking it was someone we hadn't met yet. however the ending twist really caught me by surprise and I was thinking "What the Heck???"

To end this message and go to sleep though I just want to say, again, Thank You for the great book and I really cannot wait for the 3rd book of the series and the next Mercy book...
Sometimes you think you have seen the best of someone and then you get something like this book and... you just need more...

PS I do not say this last to stress you, I know you will write your best, It just surprises me how much more Hunting Ground seems to me than the previous books, and I guess you do know how good the other books are.... but i feel like this one is at the top at the moment...

Again thank you for sharing such great stories with us... take care of yourself and your family and finally, goodnight from your greek fan

Thank you for writing this so eloquently. It is what i think too, but i could not write it like you.
Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

white_unicorn

• Mechanic
    • Wattpad - Stories
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2009, 12:36:14 am »
 :-[ just my late night ramblings and a great book... nothing anyone wouldn't be able to write, some of you (meaning all the other Hurog members) would actually write it even better.... O)

O)

Demi

• Grease Monkey
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2009, 01:17:29 am »

If english were my native language i would have give it a try,
but it is so much easier for me to read than to write.  :)

Addicted to the tales from the Bard of Hurog

Ravenlark

• Tool Wrangler
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2009, 06:01:30 am »
I liked this novel better than the first Alpha and Omega novel.   

Expanding on Charles and Anna's relationship, lots of general werewolfyness, and of course, the fae element kept me glued to the pages until the end.

I love werewolves and it seems that alot of the novels I read about them almost skirt the subject.  The character stays human until the full moon and there is maybe one paragraph about them as a wolf, they don't use their wolf senses properly etc...

but I have to say that Patty hits it right on the nose with this one, I love reading about werewolves, who love being werewolves!!

Keep it up!!  bOuNcY

Tearadria

« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:13 am »
Wow, loved this book. Love all the books I have read by Patty so far!

Hunting Ground was an excellent read and I love how she mixed history into this book and has further developed Anna. In the first book, Cry Wolf, I honestly wasn't a big fan of Anna..now that I've read this book I absolutely love her ; )

I also love how she adds just a touch of romance to the story...not too much to over power the story and not too little as were its boring and just a mystery/thriller.

Awesome Job Patricia Briggs. Thanks so much for letting us read your stories and enter your world of the supernatural! Looking forward for the next book in the Mercy series!